Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Concerts you went to where the opening act got booed off the stage

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mark Davis, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Lets keep this to concerts we actually saw not just heard about.

The one I remember most was around 1995 @ Oakland saw The Stones and Seal opened for them.

He had just released that song kiss for a rose or whatever it was called and no one really knew who he was I guess.

As soon as he started singing everyone booed loud you could barely hear Seal they were booing so loud he did about a 10-15 min set and was gone.

2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Was it on or around Halloween? That would've been 1994. There's a video of the Halloween show floating around, sans Seal, of course.

3. woodman

woodman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 28, 2004
    Mint Hill, NC
    i wasn't there, but Jimi Hendrix got booed off the stage in Charlotte when he opened for the Monkees. (What was that promoter thinking???)

4. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I saw the Clash get booed off the stage at JFK stadium in Philadelphia. It was 1982 and if I remember correctly The Who was the headliner.

Dan

5. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Holic

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    In the very early '70s I saw the New Riders Of the Purple Sage at the Santa Monica Civic auditorium.

Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show (Cover of the Rolling Stone fame) opened for them and got booed off the stage very quickly (much to my delight). I can remember the singer pleading to be given a chance, but they left after only a few songs.

6. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    Could have been 94 I remember a big mechanical thing on stage that shot fire.

It was a big stage and a huge costly stage show.

7. GreeneFan

GreeneFan Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2009
    SE Virginia
    At the height of Frankenstein popularity, I went to an Edgar Winter Group concert that was opened by Don McLean doing a solo act, signing and accompanying himself on guitar and banjo. This was in a large sports fieldhouse on a college campus and the crowd was there to party. I felt sorry for Mr. McLean as he got heckled mercilessly.

8. chinaiyf

chinaiyf TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2010
    on walkabout
    I saw Marillion open for Rush at Radio City Music Hall and they were booed and heckled for their entire set, which they cut short.

9. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Mar 27, 2003
    Apparently Joe Ely was booed and spat on at every show opening for the Clash in the 80's.

I was playing with a country-rock band that opened for Rare Earth in 1972 at the Albuquerque Civic Auditorium (my first time on a concert stage). People started booing us about halfway through our set, and they were chanting "Rare Earth, Rare Earth" by the time we cut our set short and got off the stage. It was a learning experience!

10. BGTele

BGTele Tele-Afflicted

May 6, 2008
    West New Jersey
    I went to the New Orleans Pop Festival in Gonzalez, La, in 1969. Saw a bunch of great bands, Santana, Janis, Canned Heat, Doug Kershaw, It's a Beautiful Day.

Outlaw type bikers swooped in on the show. It's a Beautiful Day came out and David
    LaFlamme started singing. Some biker climbed on the stage and punched LaFlamme
    out, I mean out cold, flat on the stage. After 5 minutes, he got up, staggered around
    and motioned to his band to play. He started into "White Bird" with a little extra
    emotion in his voice. The crowd went nuts. Before he got decked, the crowd had
    given them mild boos and disinterest. After he got up and sang, cheers, even from
    the bikers who were riding their bikes into the crowd, over people's hands, legs.

Canned Heat got up there and ol' Bob Hite said, "Who ever says the South s#@ks
    is fulla s#@t!" The crowd went wild. This was the sixties. Drove through Alabama
    and Mississippi over night to get there. Miss those days.

11. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    MD
    I participated in booing Peter Tosh, as well as giving him the one fingered greeting, along with just shy of 100K other "fans" at Philly's JFK stadium in 1978 when he was one of the openers for the Stones.

Had the sound guys not been stupid enough to play Tosh's album over and over prior to the show he might not've received said welcome. You see, we had been in our seats since sometime around 10 am, the show was rain delayed and Foreigner was the other opener. Needless to say, we were in no mood for Tosh and he was quite indignant about it.

A helicopter got the same greeting when it hovered over the stadium.

Still, tough crowd in Philly any day of the week, imo.

tom

12. Dana

Dana Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Ashland, Ma
    1978 Black Sabbath at the Cape Cod Coliseum with Van Halen opening.

Ozzy came out totally drunk. Sang two songs and fell flat on his face. Van Halen came back out to cover and we booed them mercilessly.

13. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Mar 23, 2003
    Harmony, R.I.
    Peter Rowan opening for the Jerry Garcia Band.

The crowd started out loving him..Panama Red, Lonesome L.A. Cowboy. Midnight Moonlight...all Deadhead favorites, BUT he just went on and on and on and on...

The crowd started to get a tad unruly and made it known that they were done with him and ready to see Jerry. It's too bad..he just overstayed his welcome that night.

Others have told me that he tends to do the same thing in the bluegrass world too, but I can't vouch for that.

14. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Peter Maffay opend for the Stones in '82 in Germany. meh!
    he was (and still is?) a top seller with record numbers for #1 singles and # 1LPs....
    but was absolutely irrelevant infront of the Stones, he got booed off and eggs and tomatoes were thrown at him . :D

that certainly was the low-point of his career.

15. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    I've never heard a band get booed, let alone off the stage. And I saw Steel Breeze open for The Who in '82.

16. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 19, 2006
    chicago

wow, how was that tosh's fault? philly crowds are rough.

17. endzone

endzone Friend of Leo's

Jan 2, 2006
    Louisiana
    They weren't the opening band, but the main act...back in '73 or so, Chicago was absolutely terrible. Got severely boo'd. They came back for an encore I think just for spite. Everyone was filing out of the auditorium and they had the nerve to come back out and start playing one of those loooong jam songs.

36 years later, Chicago is still the worst concert I've ever attended.

18. Agave_Blue

Agave_Blue Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Late 70's or early 80"s.

An opener called "No Dice" booed off at the Toledo Sports Arena. Really not sure, but I think it was No Dice, 38 Special and Rush.

Same era at a Speedway Jam concert. ~5 bands I think. Opener was, iirc, "Killer Bees". Crowd was throwing gallon milk jugs filled with water at the bass drum. I think the band got off before their drum kit was wiped out. The headliners there, (again, iirc) were ZZ Top and AC/DC.

19. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2004
    EN JAY
    I can't even remember who the headliner was the first time I saw POCO get chased off the stage of the Spectrum by idiots shooting bottle rockets at them.
    What was amazing was they actually returned in 75 or 76 to open for (I think) Bachman Turner Overdrive.
    And damn if it didn't happen again.
    Too bad too. I really liked POCO back in the old days.
    It's true what they say about Philly crowds. But it was probably the same moron both times.

20. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    I think it's Stones' crowds that are rough--I've now heard of Seal, Tosh and Prince being booed off the stage when opening for them.

Hmm. "Rough".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.