Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Compressor Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by leatherbound, Nov 15, 2011.

1. leatherbound

leatherbound Tele-Meister

I guess I am just being a gear snob in wanting the Wampler. He is my question though and I know this is totally suggestive. Does anyone out there really tink that the Wampler sounds $130 better than they dyna comp? I know that is a weird question but I can spend that $130 on something else. Anyone see my logic here. I am thinking that deep down I want the wampler because it costs more and I can go around talking about my expensive wamplers. Did I just give myself some self therapy? How does this make me feel? Yes, and how do you feel about that? Does that make me sad? What were your feelings like?

Ok I will stop: DISCUSS! (The question, not my mental status)

2. mechanicdave

mechanicdave Tele-Holic

I've owned or used a number of comps over the years. I remember reading an article titled "Chicken or Phish". It basicly seperated compressers into two camps, the chicken pickin' Dyna comp or the fat sustain Phish band Ross style compressor. Decide where you want to be that will narow your search.
    Ross style Keeley 2 knob, Tone Press, Compressor Retro, ect.... Dyna Comp, well, Dyna Comp I guess. Good Luck

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Pete Townshend - Dynacomp
    Redd Volkaert - CS-2
    Vince Gill - CS-3
    Trey Anastasio - Ross
    Bedroom Rockers - Wampler

Ha - I am not slamming Wampler. Brian makes awesome pedals! I'm just saying that all of those signature tones over the years were made with mass produced, dime-a-dozen effects pedals that did their job live and in the studio. Is the Wampler better? Probably. Is it a 130 bucks better? I doubt it. Am I going to drop that kind of money when I can grab a CS-3 for next to nothing on eBay? Not a chance. :cool: I'm sticking with Vince Gill on this one. He knows a thing or two about good tone as well. His opinion isn't on the forum, but it is all over his recordings.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

Vince also uses the Benado effects board, which is 5 pedals in 1 board. $1000 for 5 effects = $200 a pedal. Brian Wampler worked directly with Sage Benado to tweak the effects...stands for something in my book. Hell, if you can afford it, why not? Don't just knock it based on cost. Play each one, then just resell them if you're not into them.

One difference? The Wampler will probably have resale value over the others, because folks want to see what the fuss is about. Try it, if you don't dig it then you can sell it and buy the others.

6. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

not to get off course...but the Timmy kills. Really.

7. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

One of the first things you might want to ask yourself is how you want to use your comp - subtle, transparent (as possible) peak levelling and sustain? As an effect with prevalent squish? Or both? Answering that will help you (and us) to narrow it down. Personally, I'm in the first camp, nine stomps out of ten.

The Empress Comp looks pretty awesome IMO. Good initial reviews, from what I've read. Kinda big though. That's the comp I'm most interested in but haven't played. Personally, I'm to the point where I only consider compressors with a blend feature, as I find them just that useful.

I have a Wampler Ego and it is quite nice, and has as small a footprint as you are likely to find outside those guyatone comps (which I actually quite like). It is pretty versatile, in terms of going from subtle to really squeezing. But I will say that it is a bright sounding comp. Sounds to me like it adds highs, even with the tone control completely rolled off. I don't think I'm the only one to perceive that either, and I don't know about you, but my tele is bright enough to begin with. :D Mostly for that reason, it is currently losing a compress-off to a seymour duncan doubleback I got on closeout a couple weeks back. No ****! :eek: :) I'm as surprised as anyone.

8. LakeCountyRon

LakeCountyRon Tele-Meister

No love for the Love Squeeze???

Rothwell Love Squeeze all the way.

What a pedal. At least check it out. The most transparent, musical guitar compressor in a pedal I have played.

9. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Well, I'll take the bait. :mrgreen: Sound $130 better? Maybe, maybe not. I suppose that depends on your total financial portfolio and your commitment in terms of your tone, and ultimately, your ears. How OCD about this are you, and will your budget accommodate?

Now, I don't mean to suggest that "moar knobz dude!" means better value or better pedal, not at all. But in this case, I do think that the additional control the wampler offers is arguably worth the extra scratch. You can't cop all the sounds the wampler can with a DC, but you can set a wampler to sound like DC and more. Plus a much better warranty, component and build quality, and 18v, handmade in the USA by a small company run by a nice and knowledgable fella, if any of those things are persuasive to you.

Also, Hybridrocknroll is right about resale value, I think.

10. whiskychaser

whiskychaser TDPRI Member

To be quite serious, I really like the design. It is hysterical/ironic/hysterical and doesn't take itself too seriously. I think a line of children's art inspired pedals would do quite well (as long as they do their job of course).

11. leatherbound

leatherbound Tele-Meister

I am really just looking for that nice transparent sound. Just enough push to brighten things up. Again, I am a country picker and need my teles to sparkle a bit more than they currently do. Money isn't a huge issue. I have been after this tone a long time. Bought a new maz 38 head with open back cab, bought the paisley drive. I will more than likely go with the wampler.

And now a fun story about the internet age. I ordered the paisly overdrive. Wampler is about 45 minutes from my house. I have trouble getting it ordered and a guy from England help me get it. He is wamplers web guy. I expect the pedal to ship from Brian's place. Nope, comes out of Kentucky. Goes right by me and two hours north to Indianapolis with the mail. Gets lost in the mail. Post office says it is in Ellettsville. I drove there and go it. Ellettsville is about 20 minutes from martinsville, the town Brian lives in.......................Come on man. Just let me drive to your place and buy your awesome pedals!!!!!!!!

12. Lazloryder

Lazloryder Tele-Meister

This may be heresy, but from my experience with Keeley 4 Knob, Dyna Comp, and Line 6 Constrictor, I thought the Line 6 was the best.

13. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

that's why i like my Whirlwind. Handmade and handwired in the USA and made by the guy who designed the original Dynacomp in the 70's.It's identical to the original.

14. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

I really like the Rogue Vintage Compressor...it's Dyna Comp-ish to my ears, but with an attack control. I got it for 19.99 new on eBay. It's the same as the Belcat/Modtone/Hofner. I can't justify replacing it.

15. GLtele

GLtele Tele-Meister

16. hybridrocknroll

hybridrocknroll Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Chip! +1!

17. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

The Biyang Baby Boom compressor gets a LOT of love around here.

$58 on Amazon

18. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

C'mon,you had to think someone would do it:D

Attached Files:

19. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Check this amazing website out if you want to consider which compressor might be the best. . .as far as I know it is the definitive reference.

http://www.ovnilab.com/

20. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Consider the Maxon CP101...a great, under the radar optical comp...MXR size case, quiet, subtle, adds a nice presence, good quality build.

21. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

http://www.pedaldoctor.com/TangerineSqueeze.html

I've got one of these and I love it. More than my dynacomp.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.