Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Compressor Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by leatherbound, Nov 15, 2011.

1. leatherbound

leatherbound Tele-Meister

I am in the hunt for a new compressor. I was pretty much sold on a Wampler Ego Compressor but the price scares me off. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem paying for quality. I have the Wampler Paisley Drive and love what it does. So my logic was to get the compressor made by the same guy to go with the overdrive. Which, I might still do. Anyone have any suggestions on a cheaper compressor that still sounds good? I run my gear like this. Tele-Comp-Paisley Drive-Aqua Puss Delay-Dr. Z Maz 38. I am currently using a Behringer compressor. I know, the likes of the behringer in this line up might be somewhat insulting but it just doesn't sound all that great. It was $20!! Anyhow, I am open to all sorts of suggestions. I play country and do play in a band that plays a lot of gigs so I need something reliable as well. I have looked at all sorts of compressors from $50 to $300. Please, any feedback would be outstanding!!

2. Charlie Davis

Charlie Davis TDPRI Member

Ego comp is great, but also take a look at the Barber Tone Press.

3. Tom Cook

Tom Cook Tele-Meister

Carl Martin and Keeley , I like the Carl M better for humbuckers and the Keeley better on signle coils . Both pretty spendy , both well made .

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

Compressors have so much subtle personality.

There are so many potential things that you could want or that you could be looking for.

Discussing compressors is almost as complex as discussing underwear.

(Pardon me).

I would go play an industry standard like an MXR Dyna Comp and see what you like and dislike and then play as many more as you can.

I have an old Dyna and it's sacred to me. I have an Analogman Juicer which is a Dan Armstrong clone on one board and a BBE BenchPress which is a ROSS clone on another board.

The BenchPress is really nice.

The Dyna Comp is hard to beat.

There are a bunch of good ones and the differences and subtle but so important.

DOD made a cheapie called the Milk Box that I love. I have a bunch of them as I play clean a lot and I love the sound and feel.

Start with a Dyna........go play with one. I have a Behringer Compressor that I painted for fun. It's not a bad sounding box but I wouldn't trust the construction long term.

Check out my Behinger Comp.....

[​IMG]

I sat in bed after having ankle surgery and painted this with my son's model paints. It makes me chuckle.

6. Jonny_Quest

Jonny_Quest Tele-Afflicted

Instead of saying 'phone home',.....he says 'phone tech-support'. :mrgreen:

7. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

I have a Whirlwind Redbox, which is apparently the same hand-wired circuit as the original MXR DynaComp. I like mine, but the only complaint I have is that it only has 2 knobs: output and sensitivity, $140 and sounds good to my ear. Some may not like it because of the 'limited' controls, but I like as few knobs as possible.

8. Sparklecaster

Sparklecaster Tele-Meister

9. Brandon mac

Brandon mac Tele-Holic

i have the ego and my setup is guitar,tu-2,paisley drive,modded ts-9,ego compressor,analog echo,dd-6 delay-into my maz 38sr 212. im a chicken picker and this setup sounds incredible!!

10. gguitar55

gguitar55 Tele-Meister

I like the T Rex Squeezer I just got, but I got an ebay deal on it. Retail price is a bit high but it's quality. Look around for a discount. 6 knobs and does'nt kill the treble unless you really squeeze it.

Attached Files:

11. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

You're going to get a lot of good suggestions and probably all of them will be good compressors. The Dyna Comp is very hard to beat at it's price point.
    Personally I have a Dyna, Boss CS 2, and a Janglebox and they all three do pretty much the same thing...the Janglebox has more EQ features but the Dyna does a very good job. Boss CS 2 will also do it very well, but it's a bit noisy. But then they're all a bit noisy. If $$ is an issue I'd start out with a Dyna Comp. There are a zillion of them out there and they're easy to come by.

12. whiskychaser

whiskychaser TDPRI Member

That's a very suggestive photo and I find it very offensive..I mean..hilarious. Could have called it the Johnson Compressor.

13. leatherbound

Brandon mac, Looks like we have similar set ups and I also chicken pick as well. Sounds like all good suggestions. If I remember I think there is a video that Sweetwater did and it was a compressor shoot out of about 7 or 8 comps. Gotta go check!

14. leatherbound

Studio1087, that is hilarious. I didn't read your entire post and was looking at the picture and I thought "Hey, that looks like a behringer comp!" Good stuff.

15. photoweborama

photoweborama Friend of Leo's

I still love my Dynacomp. I have two of them. It makes my DRRI sparkle.

A friend gave me a script logo Dynacomp. I traded it for a block logo Dynacomp, a phase 90, and a Cry Baby.

Strange enough, that cheap Danelectro ham and eggs (or something like that) compressor sounds awesome. Very warm sounding. I wish I still had one. Maybe I'll get another one.

16. sammy123

sammy123 Tele-Meister

I am liking the Seymour Duncan Doubleback Compressor that I recently purchased. It is certainly better than my Rocktron Big Crush pedal.

17. alcrpntr

alcrpntr Tele-Meister

I grabbed the DynaComp becuase it was and inexpensive good product. I have tried several and so far nothing has been able to replace it. So now it is an inexpensive great product.

18. studio1087

No! It's not supposed to be offensive. It's supposed to be a button on his belt. Like he's wearing a Batman utility belt with a big button. See the belt?

He's wearing a silver space belt! :eek:

(I am such a failure as an artist).

19. studio1087

One last thing and I'll stop side railing this good topic.

He's a photo for you. Three amazing pedals built by amazing creative guys........and then there's my Moon Rock. It's like a photo of three shining gems sitting next to a steaming brown turd.

[​IMG]

I leave the Moon Rock sitting on the floor when friends come over and I tell them that it's my design........"I'm going into business building these!!" It's hard to keep a straight face. It's like having a $25 paper weight.

20. Lazloryder

Lazloryder Tele-Meister

Dyna Comp is just classic, used by so many artists on so many records, and you can't beat the price.

21. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

my first choice ever is the keeley 2 knob compressor , just followed by my spare retrosonic compressor or the good old boss CS-2.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.