Compressor popping the note

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by jefrs, Apr 24, 2008.

1. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

I've just got a Boss CS-3 compressor, ok, not the world's finest but they're cheap. I'm getting a popping noise, is this normal?

Now when I use it, I get a popping sound on the attack of the note as I pluck the strings. This occurs at all rational setting of the CS-3 e.g. Level 10o'clock, Tone 1o'clock, Attack 3o'clock, Sustain 3o'clock. This occurs with all guitars.

I can get rid of the pop by turning the guitar vol down and the fx level up. This rather defeats the object of a compressor. I assume that the popping is the compressor limiting the loud attack.

Is this popping a normal artifact of a compressor? It is not very nice. How do you get rid of it?

Does it's position in the fx chain matter? I have it at no.2 after the overdrive(off). What is the preferred position?

TIA

2. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Try before the OD and see if your still geting the pop. The compressor might be exxagerated the pop because the signal is overdriven. Even when off if the OD is not "true bypass" it will effect the signal.

3. jefrs

No, it pops with the od gone, or the compressor on its own.

Do compressors make a little pop on the attack?

4. vjf1968

I guess you can say that they do but if its exaggerated than there may be a problem internally. Are you running off batteries or do you have plugged in?

5. vjf1968

Try turning the attack knob all the way to the left and see if the pop occurs. Then gradually turn it to the right and see if the pop becomes more prominent. You may have the attack knob to high in realtion to the other knobs. Remeber with compression a little goes a long way.

6. jefrs

Ok, it's making a little plosive pop when you pick the string, not some great thud of a pop like when a jack goes into a turned up amp. Difficult to describe, maybe like having a mic too close to the mouth. I consider it undesirable, maybe I'm not used to using it. I can moderate it using a lighter touch or by rolling off the guitar vol.
    I gather from "I guess you can say that they do " that they all tend to do this. I guess that it's the attack control limiting the max signal, maybe it needs a little more smoothing. I shall look for mods. Are there any schematics out there?
    It pops in all settings, anticlockwise squashes the signal and makes it worse. Clockwise opens it up but doesn't quite go to 0dB, so there's still a wee pop.

Does one normally run a compressor first in fx chain?

7. vjf1968

There are a couple methods. And it really comes down to what sound your going for. I usually put it first but some like to put after an OD. I even heard some people who put at the end of the chain but never seen that. Since I obviously can't be there and see what your doing why don't you go to you local music store and try another compressor or a couple and see if you run into the same thing. Also you can check out the Barber and JangleBox websites and play the sound samples to see what a compressor can do or at least what its suppose to do.

8. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

Compressors, especially ones like Bosses can have artifacts like that, I stay away from them
    J

schenkadere likes this.
  9. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

There is no discernable "pop" with the Keeley 4 knob job, but don't go all the way right with the knobs!

As for the Boss, well, that "pop" is inherent to the unit, and if you plan on keeping it, send it to Keeley to have it modded.

10. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

I don't think that Keeley mods Boss compressors
    Jim

11. Wardpike

Wardpike Friend of Leo's

Just ask them/him! LOL

12. guit30

guit30 Tele-Afflicted

I have spent a couple of hours talking to his company mods leader, Nathan on my Keeley review, but I don't see anthing about modding bosses,
    j

13. mrizzone

mrizzone TDPRI Member

Turn the Sustain knob counterclockwise to around 9 o'clock and see if it works for you.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  14. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

Yeah, three o'clock on the attack and sustain knobs is cranked pretty high.

Roll 'em back. Waaay back.

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

The *pop* is the sound of the pick hitting the string.

The reason it stands out is the *Attack* is so fast that the loudness of the note is clamped down very quickly *after* the pick hits the string, so you are getting a loud pick sound followed by a quiet note. The quiet note is then gradually made louder as it dies out.

This whole process is trying to keep the entire length of the note at an even volume. Your idea of turning down the guitar volume will make the *pop* less obvious, because the compressor is then trying to make the entire note, initial *pop* and all, as loud as it was when the guitar was turned up all the way. If you play the guitar with the volume knob turned down, listen to the sound as you stomp the compressor on and off. The guitar will be louder with the compressor on. The compressor is turning the volume *up*.

16. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Doe anyone realize that this thread was started (and mostly responded to) nearly eleven years ago? o_O

artdecade and codamedia like this.
  17. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Wonder if it's still popping? lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.