Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Compressor: Keeley 2 knob vs Wampler Ego? Country guitar

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JTM45blues, Oct 6, 2017.

1. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

May 14, 2003
    Iowa
    Ok, so I have owned a Dyna Comp and a couple of Keeley 2 knobs. My first Keeley was way too noisy. I really loved my last Keeley 2 knob, but for some reason it's missing...

So since I can't find my compressor, just wondering if I should look at other options for country guitar squish

2. blille

blille Tele-Holic

Same flavor. Some people love the blend knob because it feels easier to dial in. If that's your case, get the Wampler.

3. guitarguy1964

guitarguy1964 TDPRI Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm a fan of the Wampler. Mainly due to the blend control.

4. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Nov 16, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    No experience with the Wampler, but my .02 is this, I'm on my third Keeley 2 knob, I keep thinking there is something better for me.... nope. The last thing I jacked with, was the Boss Compressor sustainer, hence I'm back with my Keeley. I like the simplicity and the fact that when you stomp it "on", there is no doubt. I really like it when I'm playin my GT through an OCD, it just clears up the growl, if that makes sense.

5. Evil Funk

Evil Funk TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Montana
    I seldom use pedals, but when i do, the Wampler Ego is THE first one i grab. Useful tone control, blend knob, and super quiet. It gets left on at all times and i use the volume to push the amp a bit.

I've had a Keeley and Dyna comp. Nothing beats the Wampler, imho.

6. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    Of those two, I'd go with the Wampler. I've always found the Keeley 2-knob roll off way too much highs. The Wampler gives you a lot more fine tuning, in my experience.

thefruitfarmer likes this.

7. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    same flavor, as stated above.

I dont like the Ross style compression, and the Wampler has it in spades. Nice blend feature, but if you dont like that sound, get something else.

Yes I have the Wampler Ego.

No I dont use it.

8. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Barber Tone Press, the original black box. Has a better blend (doesn't have the phase issue others often have) and it has a cool trimpot control inside that dials it from a rounder, 'vintage' quality, to more modern compression.

You can find them used for around 100.00 fairly often.

I wish I hadn't sold mine. Sold it to get a Boss CS-2. It was a lateral move, at best.

9. JTM45blues

JTM45blues Tele-Afflicted

May 14, 2003
    Iowa
    So I finally found my Keeley. Hard to dial in the sweet spot between pretty and too much squish. Also I need to
    speed up the release a bit.

Anyone else’s knobs turn too easy on their Keeley? Mine move all the time it seems

10. Kingpin

Kingpin Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Here
    I put rubber washers under the knobs and tighten them down for every pedal on my board. The added friction keeps your settings in place but still allows you to turn them.

troy2003 likes this.

11. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    I’d go Wampler. Find a used one. The tone control really works well for settling between different guitars. Love mine.

12. troy2003

troy2003 Tele-Afflicted

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I second the rubber o-ring trick. Worked on my guitar knobs when my hand would rotate the volume knob inadvertently.

13. bayside

bayside Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2008
    eastern side of the Pacific
    On the knob thing . . . the paddle style knobs (Wampler, Keely) are a real pain. If any thing touches them, cords for example, the knob changes and it doesn't take much. I prefer round knobs, lower profile and less prone to accidental movement. I have a couple of Wampler,Keely pedals and I've changed the knobs on all of them.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

14. thefruitfarmer

thefruitfarmer TDPRI Member

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    I have a Wampler Ego and it is great with bass. Being able to shape the attack and sustain of the note in an exaggerated way and then being able to blend in some clean to make it sound more natural again really works for me with bass guitar. I can record a P Bass > Ego > Sansamp RBI for a bass tone strong enough to make it to a final mix.

With guitar though, the Ego sounds too polite to my ear and I just prefer the Boss CS-3, with all its nastiness.

codamedia likes this.

15. DavidP

DavidP Tele-Afflicted

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    So I was ready to spring for a Wampler Ego; sold my old Keeley as it didn't have a blend but now there's the Keeley "Plus" version w blend... Anyone done a decent a/b comparison of the Ego and the Plus??

16. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    Just get the Ego. It's been out for a few years now and road tested, unlike the new keely pedal. It is a great pedal, despite my personal tastes as to how I use it and it does work for guitar too.

Evil Funk likes this.

17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    IMO... the "de facto" country squish is Brent Mason and Vince Gill of the late 80's and early 90's. That would be a BOSS CS-2 & CS-3 respectively. 2 & 4 Knob Keeleys, Ross and Dyna Comps also shaped that sound for many players.

I can't dis a blend control, it is a nice feature. But it's a relatively new feature and not necessary for the country squish of yesteryear.

There you have it... clear as mud. Keeley 2 knob or Wampler ego? Yes :lol:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017

18. thefruitfarmer

Sep 26, 2013
    kent UK
    Knew my cs-3 sounded right ;)

codamedia likes this.

19. Linkslover

Linkslover TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Chicago
    Had a dynacomp and hated it. Noisy and colored the sound.

Went to a Wampler Ego and love it. To my ear, it doesn't color the tone and with the tone and blend knobs, I crab get the sound i want.

It's almost always on when I play.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.