Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Compressor for a guitarist that doesn't like compression?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BertV, Oct 3, 2017.

1. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    yeah but 2 bills for a utility pedal that's reluctantly or seldom used ouch

2. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    yeah but Johnny Marr. No shame.

Pixies2005 likes this.

3. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    I'm going to give this a shot. Some say it's like the Diamond while another says it's a pale imitation. Gotta try it for myself as with any pedal. I feel like I should be learning to play new songs vs. spending time on a compressor. Also, splitting to AC4TV & Fender Rumble after a ****-ton of effects. Do I truly need comp? Maybe not for this but for playing super clean whole notes on bass yeah.

4. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    They don't give them away for sure - that said, they are great at what they do...especially if you want some carry in the mix for slide.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    That is exactly what I thought at one time. Now, I say a compressor pedal should be the most expensive pedal on your board. How perceptions can change over time.:rolleyes::lol:

6. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    I have owned the Markbass tube compressor before which is almost imperceptibly lovely--certainly can't explain how or what or why the magical--but enormous. And the Fairfield comp is cool (& micro 1590a enclosure) but I'm not there yet forking out for the Diamond. Kinda like Strymon. I'm sure it's great, just not there yet.

BWNadeau likes this.

7. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    Diamonds have taken a pretty big hike in prices. I remember buying my first one for around $150 CAD, brand new, and being able to grab used ones for $130 - $140. The Bearfoot PGC still pops up from time to time for $130 - $140. I haven't tried the Fairfield, but Guillaume builds great, creative pedals, and I know people who have and love the Accountant.

I'm not using one at the moment...plenty of compression in my Valvetrain 315 as is, but if I start working some slide into some of my songs, I'll be putting a PGC or Diamond back on the board.

8. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    "Compressor for a guitarist who doesn't like compression" Boy have I been living THAT story for the last 10 years. Most of my favorite players have gotten brilliant sounds out of compressors:
    • Andy Summers: Dyna Comp
    • James Honeyman-Scott: CS-2
    • Jamie West-Oram: Dyna Comp or any other compressor he's ever met
    • Johnny Marr: Diamond
    I've tried lots of compressors: multiple Dyna Comps, TC, CS-2, CS-3, DOD, Xotic SP, Marshall Edward The Compressor, finally the Mooer Yellow Comp. I even had the chance to A/B the Mooer with a friend's Diamond Junior and found the Mooer to be "close enough for rock and roll": I could hear a slight difference but could dial it out with a bit of knob-tweaking. I thought for a while that the Mooer was going to be the compressor I could stand to have on my board for the long haul (since the Diamond Junior wouldn't fit in the available space).

Recently, however, I was playing some songs, just blasting the Tele through my pedalboard and baby Marshall, jamming along with some favorite tracks. I realized that I had just as much fun and loved my sound just as much with the compressor on or off. I never get the sounds my compressor-heavy heroes do. There are good sounds to be had from compressors, but with my fingers, rig, and ears, it's just "different", not "better". So I give up. The Mooer is off the board and sold, making way for other pedals that will do something significant and worthwhile for my sound.

So, after much study and expense my considered opinion is, the compressor for a guitarist who doesn't like compression is... no compressor at all.

bacongrease likes this.

9. bacongrease

bacongrease Tele-Meister

Mar 27, 2013
    But you can see how those you mentioned would require comp for consistency in new-wave/dance music (albeit bad 80's dad-dance)

10. ES330

ES330 TDPRI Member

May 2, 2017
    SF
    I'm one too who hasn't bonded with compressors
    Tried so many, including the advice in previous posts...

Still just haven't bonded with compressors...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.