Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Compressor for a guitarist that doesn't like compression?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BertV, Oct 3, 2017.

1. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Definitely not a Super Comp. What a turd (I have one). Joyo makes one that I suspect is not doing anything at all sometimes. Might be worth looking at.

Have just been looking at some options myself. Bogner just put one out that looks very nice. So expensive though.

2. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    The Mooer yellow pedal is cheap and just might do what you want.

ukepicker likes this.

3. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Why Do you hate the Super so much? I have one too

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

4. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Maybe I just don't like mxr comps at all - very likely. Seems really dark and really noisy to me.

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    well im not yet in love

6. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I suggest trying the comp before your dirt pedals. I've tried both ways with the SP and really prefer it in front of the OD/Distortion boxes. YMMV.

bacongrease likes this.

7. ukepicker

ukepicker Tele-Holic

Oct 15, 2013
    East Texas
    Yes. Move it around a little. A compressor is one of the hardest pedals to dial in. And position can play a big role in that.

For me, comp before dirt ruins the subtle dynamic interaction of my playing and the distortion. Comp after dirt ruined the last (and best) 5% of the distorted tone. So mine (a Bearfoot Pale Green Comp) is not hooked up right now. But I when I use it, I tend to like it near the end of the signal path.

But it's a different kind of compressor. It's shooting for "natural tube and speaker"- like compression.

I had a dynacomp too. And liked it for some things. But it's an effect and I used it like one: just turned it on when I needed it. The PGC is closer to an always on pedal.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

8. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Australia
    Just bought a Diamond Compressor a few days ago. It definitely gives everything a sheen and a polish but I’ve to play with it to figure out how to get some dynamics with it.

Wyzsard likes this.

9. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have the Mooer Yellow Comp (Diamond clone) on my board right now. I have it set so that the comp effect is fairly subtle, with the comp knob at about 10:30. I only use it with single coil pickups and it seems to simultaneously thicken the tone and add a little sparkle. I also set the volume with a bit of a boost so that when I switch from a humbucker equipped guitar to a Tele or Strat they are about the same volume level since I don't use the comp for the humbucker guitars. I also place it before the dirt pedals on my board, but some people like it after.

10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I'm with "Endless Mike" on this one...

People tend to think they have to "hear" the compression and while in some cases this is true (for the effect) in most cases it's better served much more subtly. If you are losing dynamics, turn down the compression and/or blend in more natural signal. In most cases you don't want to squash everything, just the transient peaks.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

11. Lars F

Lars F TDPRI Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Denmark
    If you don't like playing guitar with a compressor, just do without. You really dont have to use one. If you use overdrive or distortion you are already compressed. Pushing your pre/power-amp? Compression! It's just in fashion right now to use a compressor.
    Myself, I like a couple and right now have an Emma Transmorgrifier as well as an opto comp. Sometime I cascade them. It's fun, but unless you are chicken-picking and wan't an effect, you are fine without it. Especially if you don't get on with it.

Regards,

Lars

MilwMark likes this.

12. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

My tray just arrived this morning. Just what the doctor ordered for my needs. As I mentioned in my previous post when I switch basses, I have to tweak my Keeley. I put my VOICETONE on it just to show how much room the tray has on it.

1004171203.jpg 1004171204.jpg

13. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I use a compressor for the thickening/fattening quality most of them impart. I sure as heck don't want the dang thing flattening everything out, except for the most aggressive transients. I've been a hybrid picking player for decades, and play a fair amount of country. When you're slapping a string against the frets, at stage volumes, and with a flipping telecaster, you need something to take the worst of it down a peg. And telecaster can definitely use some fattening up, usually.

So, a compressor is a useful tool, but I've seen it over and over again. Someone approaches me with having a problem, or I get to talking to another player, and they have this compressor issue. Once I lay eyes on the settings, it's always the same, sustain cranked past noon, and attack/release or threshold set less than optimum. With the dyna comp, it doesn't seem to matter how low you set it, it still has that 'pop'. Same with the Ego compressor. Even with the blend, there's still that 'pop'. I haven't tried the Xotic, but the Barber Tone Press has a blend that is totally useful. No one talks about the Barber anymore. I guess they aren't considered cool any longer. Too bad, as that guy makes the best pedals, and it's all done from start to finish here in the US of A.

codamedia and Wyzsard like this.

14. BertV

BertV TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Austin TX
    Yeah, I'm also a hybrid picker too, even before I got into county. I'm going to try messing more with the settings on the Xotic and possibly placing it somewhere else in my chain. The Mooer that's been mentioned is so cheap I may just get it to mess around with.

15. If you don't like compression, maybe just don't use it? Kind of like the guy looking for a pedal that would make his guitar sound like it was plugged directly into the amp.

MilwMark likes this.

16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Same here. I picked up hybrid picking having to do chord melodies, and the chords with walking bass when I was in school. The Mooer may be a good choice, as I think it's not based on the Ross/Dyna Comp circuit. I can't make that type of compression work for me. That type of compression is just too heavy handed, although the Barber Tone Press was one exception, and I didn't even need to use the blend function for it to work well. Barber is an under-rated genius.

17. Pixies2005

Pixies2005 TDPRI Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Australia
    It was a toss up between the Barber and the Diamond for me. The fact that Johnny Marr uses the Diamond is what swayed me ( sad, I know )
    I may still pick up a Barber to try at a later date

bacongrease likes this.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup, this is a really good analogy to how I go about compression. I get my sound and then add a touch of compression for polish. Whether it is an adjustment for attack or sustain or to fatten the sound, to me it really shouldn't be much to barely notice ... unless you want it to be an "effect".

bbob and Mr Green Genes like this.

19. BWNadeau

BWNadeau Tele-Afflicted

Feb 2, 2011
    Lachute, Canada
    My favorite un-compressor is the Bearfoot Pale Green - the later the version the better. They add sustain, and enhance tone. Close second is the Diamond CPR-1...especially that it's now in a smaller box.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.