COMPLETED - kissTheApex's 2014 Challenge Build - NothingSpecialCaster

Discussion in '2014 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by kissTheApex, Mar 1, 2014.

1. kissTheApex

kissTheApex Tele-Afflicted

Here it goes. My first build, the NothingSpecialCaster :oops:

A heavy ash body because they were all out of lite weight stuff, hard maple neck with a blond fretboard, two humbuckers, push-pull pots with coil splitting and hi-pass filter. Most definitely a rub on oil finish.

I know it is not a requirement in beginner class but I will build my neck apart from the fret board unless I find a way to make a compound radius fretboard.

Good luck all.
    Ihsan

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  2. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

Good luck apex! Should be a fun one.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Good luck!

4. kissTheApex

Thanks Gents!

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good Luck to you. Work safely!

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Hard to believe you're a beginner, Kiss, seems like you've been a fixture around here for quite some time. Anyway, good luck on your maiden voyage. I know you'll make us all proud! :D

7. kissTheApex

Thanks Marty.

Thanks Rick. I joined during last year's challenge trying to "soak up" knowledge, but was a "lurker" a bit before that. I would have participated in the next year's challenge after building one without the time constraints, but a local member offered me his advice, so I jumped in the deep end :D

I'd like to finish within the time frame and I will be quite happy :D

8. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Good luck Ihsan! Don't worry too much about the deadline. Enjoy yourself!

9. kissTheApex

Thanks Andre!

10. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

IDK if this helps, but I made something of a compound radius with my first ever neck! A few months ago...... A bass neck, I made it 7.25 to 9.5 (not much of a change, I know!) just to see if I could..... Quite honestly, it was pointless as far as playing the bass goes, but just using my radiused sanding blocks, and changing the radius around the 12th fret, it seemed to work out ok.....

I think.....

11. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Good luck Ishan, I too did a double take when I saw you in the beginner class.:eek: I didn't realise that you had not built one. Thats great, it most likely means that you are way ahead of the gang in knowledge.:) But if not, at least you know where to go to see the different processes.:D Go get them!!!:):)

12. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Good luck with your build. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

As the challenge moderator I don't post too many comments during the challenge but I wanted to make sure I welcomed all the first time builders. I know you'll have a lot of fun with it.

13. kissTheApex

Thanks John.

14. kissTheApex

I think I read either yours or someone else's thread doing the same thing and the thought crossed my mind, but I'm finding out that one of the disadvantages of being a first time builder is the lack of tools! I've already spent more on them than I spent on the materials and I've only bought 3 24" clamps, a couple of small ones, sanding paper and a ferrier's rasp! I remember reading somewhere that some players like the playing feel of multi radiused frets on a constant radius fretboard. I'm just curious and thought $15.98 SM charges for a preslotted compound radius maple board might be cost effective at least for this build.

Thanks oldrebel. Yeah, this is going to be the first build :oops:. Last year before the challenge, I've read 2011 and 2012 challenge archives as well. I just hope knowledge retention works this time :p

One thing I remember though, even the most experienced hit one or two snags so I'm not expecting a "spotless" build.

On a build related note, I just came back from the office having printed the Proof of Start document, so I should be updating my first post with it and the materials soon. Then it will be templating today and tomorrow until I can go and use planer and jointer at a friends shop for the body.

15. a rabbit

a rabbit TDPRI Member

Good Luck!

16. radio

radio Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Good luck, kiss. I'm making a neck, too (couldn't find one I liked or could afford in time).
    Stay safe,
    Steve

17. kissTheApex

I'm off to a slow start :)

Here are the raw material I'm going to be using. Wenge fretboard blank and the second neck blank are there in case the original gets, well let's just say "an experience builder".

As i said in the first post, 8/4 two piece ash body, hard maple neck and maple fretboard. I may end up using the wenge board if it comes to it.

Neck blanks are 5/4 32"x5.5", so with an offset L shaped cut, i might be able to get two necks out of one.

[​IMG]

18. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Is the ash real heavy? If so, are you going to use some weight reduction methods?

19. kissTheApex

Thanks guys. Steve, I'm in the same boat, but i also wanted to make my own neck as well. In all honesty, I'm not as hesitant on the neck as I am on the body. Something about the number of power tools involved in carving the body keeps me weary :D

20. kissTheApex

It is definitely heavier than what most people use for their builds :(. It is roughly 3.35 lbs per board foot. From what I was able to find out, most would like to have it less than 3. I think it will be around 6 lbs when routed.

If I remember correctly from the rules discussion thread, I don't think I'm allowed to do any weight reduction. I don't intend to use a pickguard so I may end up with a rear routed control cavity if I can.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.