COMPLETED - Guitarbuilder's 2014 Monterey II Guitar

Discussion in '2014 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by guitarbuilder, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds awesome! This will be great to see.

2. mmoncur

mmoncur Tele-Meister

This looks like it will be fun!

Where we're going, we don't need roads...

3. Telemaestro

Telemaestro Tele-Meister

Hey... I think this counts as a build thread, Mr. Last Build Thread... Oh well, glad to see you're in the challenge, and can't wait to see what you pull out of your hat on this one. Best of luck!

-Austin

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Ooh, don't remind him! :lol:

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

G.A.G. ... Guild of Archaic Guitarbuilders
    Free sign ups for GAG available here.

Nope, not even DeSoto, or Lewis and Clark either...:)
    Thanks!
    Thanks!
    We'll see how I can ruin the idea...:).
    Thanks.... I hope so....and I love those Doc and Marty adventures.
    This will be my last Challenge Thead :)

6. guitarbuilder

OK....Monterey....Why Monterey?.... Well Fullerton didn't have a ring to it, so I googled Fullerton on the map and saw that Monterey was a block or two away....Made some sense. II came from 2 pickups of which I have here kicking around. If I made a I then I'd still have a pickup getting shelf wear. I also have a retro switch which should be put to use and finally I would have liked a switch in last years entry which sees a bit of playing time.

7. guitarbuilder

Proof of start page. 5/4 maple and some alder my local guy had this summer. He usually doesn't carry it but another guy who builds guitars the next town over persuaded him to get a load. I also boosted my photobucket account storage for a month or two.
    [​IMG]

8. guitarbuilder

Here is the concept and fantasy logic. Given increased competition by the American and Asian guitar companies, a drop in Fender profits would have precipitated a push to enter a cheaper- to -produce guitar for students to start their lessons on and parents to purchase without taking a 2nd mortage out. Although student models have existed, this design provides a different look.

The recent Hendrix performance causes a stir with the Stratocaster. Metal parts are more expensive than plastics, so engineering has taken as many off the shelf plastic parts and used them on this model. Strat pickups replace the tele pickups to aid in the rock and rock vibe ( again Hendrixian effect). Body routs stay the same, with one extra jig needed to enlarge routs for different pickguard and pickup combinations ( soon to be available at your local music store). The down graded 3 way switch saves in cost and looks similar to other entry level models by Valco, Harmony, and Gibson. Leo asks for a prototype as soon as possible.

Possible options include a loaded humbucker pickguard and body contours, as well as a Monterey I version, sans switch and extra pickup. A Monterey III could join the mix if sales indicate a 3rd pickup is necessary. [​IMG]

9. patsanger

patsanger Tele-Meister

I like the concept and it's a neat retro engineering feat.

I was thinking, would Leo take advantage of the fact that Hendrix's upside down strat put the bridge in the "wrong" position and push the treble side out and the bass side towards the bridge? Or as an engineer do you think he would just go with what was already templated and setup for builds?

Just wondering. I am definitely following this one...

10. guitarbuilder

Thanks. In business for the most part, everything boils down to sales and bottom line. I think as a business owner Leo's decisions ( as people seem to think) were made based on making a simple modular design with economy in mind. As far as I know Leo started as a small business owner with his radios and it grew from there, so little things to save money would have been important. He was competing with a lot of others in the radio market, I would guess anyway.
    This Monterey concept doesn't really involve more tooling and parts inventory. I think consumers would balk at lefty appointments until Hendrix has made more of an impact...so expect that to occur with the Jimi tribute tele model in 1970.

Bridges are in stock, as are the pickups, pickguard material, and strat style knobs, neck, and neck hardware.

One extra rout is necessary and maybe the contouring on the sander and bandsaw. In my opinion, having seen those guys work in videos, not as labor intensive as it may appear.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  11. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

Love the scenario Marty, it brings a nice touch to the build.

12. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This is going to be good!!!

13. guitarbuilder

Thanks.... I think too much....

Thank you for your support...it is my last TDPRI challenge ;-)

14. BluesBlooded

BluesBlooded Friend of Leo's

For 2014 I hope!

15. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Pretty cool concept Marty .

16. Captain Nutslot

Captain Nutslot Friend of Leo's

awesome. love the concept!

17. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Very nice concept Marty, good luck I'll be watching this close.

18. Jerry Lee

Jerry Lee Tele-Afflicted

Cool design. Like the alt reality where Leo doesn't sell out to CBS. No Zodiac Amps and no Polyester encased, 3 bolt, big goofy headstock Strats.

Good luck and be safe.

19. guitarbuilder

teasing....
    Thanks!
    Thanks! It is fun and rewarding to try something out of the box.
    Thanks!
    Thanks...I spend a lot of my time in alternate reality...LOL.

20. guitarbuilder

Weather Watch....20 below wind chills tomorrow. I guess I'll get some drawings done and decide where to begin. This weather is starting to be a drag. I can't say I've ever experienced sustained cold like we have had this winter. A day here a day there, sure...but this is crazy even for WNY. The weather guy said we might break records for this time of the year.

While searching for some switch information I came across a cool Ebay ad which had the story of Kapa guitars..... Veneman Music related for those in the Maryland area.

So I refined my drawing a bit, measured my on- on -on switchcraft switch and drew it into the drawing. I'm wondering if anybody used an on- on- on slide switch? Most were on -off for the pickups. This Kapa guitar had the bridge pickup on all the time and the switch switched off the neck one.... I don't know if that is the norm with these guitars with slide switches. Breaking new ground here with a 3 way maybe...LOL?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.