Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in '2014 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by anyone, Mar 1, 2014.
Whee! This'll be good.
That board was destined to be a tele neck. If only because it couldn't be anything else.
Can't wait to see what you have in store. I'm sure that it will be great.
+1 those cathedral grains look cool.
Best of luck to ya anyone! Look forward to seeing this come toegther
Yeah, I reckon it was meant to be.
Thanks, Steve! Your build from last year looks stunning.
A wee bit o' stress relief
For the neck blank, really, not for me...
(I'm so stressed that I'm a near total loss for words...)
Tracing the outline:
Cutting it close to the line:
Roughing out the profile:
The bandsaw can act as quite an efficient rasp when you carefully pull the workpiece toward you at a slight angle through the teeth of the blade:
Now the neck will sit and work out it's internal stresses for a bit while I get the body going.
I pretty much just took it to the belt sander so far...
Still staring at the starting line...
Are we there yet?
(Ever notice how much builder cred a good caliper shot carries?)
Table saws are so square...
(But I'm still terrified of them!)
I sawed off the backs cuz I got a reason.
And another caliper shot for good measure:
(and bad punning...)
Then I unleash my BAMB method of joinery:
(Big A$$ Metal Bar -- BAMB!)
A wee bit o water to raise the grain:
And clamp er up:
So, I was in a jiggy mood today...
I'm at a point where I need to do a little proof of concept work, which requires a new jig.
Few people realize the importance of tone when selecting material for jig building. I couldn't find my high-tech diagnostic equipment, so I used an old trick to get by in a pinch.
I squared it up (after a fashion...), gave it a center-line, and marked fret locations.
Then I drilled a bunch of holes...
and used my neck template to make a trapezoid after I sawed a bunch of slots:
It's important to note that I drilled the holes and sawed the slots while it was relatively square.
Then I ended up with this:
Which will allow me to do this:
Which will give me a bunch of these:
And hopefully oh so much more!
to be continued...
Oh... I almost forgot...
Can't see the line! Can ya, Russ? (Sorry... an oldy but a goody...)
(I'm so happy the lumber dimensioning part is over!)
Insert huh? moment here...
It's a jig to size the frets, file back the fret tang, and dress the fret ends before pressing them into the fretboard.
Or was your Huh? moment about why I want to do that...?
Well... cuz I got a reason! (haha)
Looks like you do. Cool..
Remember how I thought I was done dimensioning lumber?
I forgot about the maple top! Doh!
I seriously need to get a thickness sander...
Before that, I planned out the controls and drilled some holes in wood:
I also trued up the neck and finished the outline.
I've learned the hard way to sand as close to the line as possible before subjecting it to the router:
Happy Sleep Deprivation Day everyone! (Don't forget to move clocks forward...)
Yeah, hopefully they'll take our word for it, but... well... that would deprive them of the joy of finding the missing corner that blew out of their workpiece and gluing it back on. Makes ya feel like a sweepstakes winner!
Well, this is embarrassing!
In the scarcity of time and over-abundance of hopes and dreams, I got a bit over-eager...
Originally, I had a clever plan to make a mold that would help me efficiently and effectively inset the ziricote fretboard into the maple neck.
Of course the base plate wasn't perfectly centered, so it ended up a little wonky...
So, impulsive dummy that I am, I just figured, "Ah, whatever! I'll just route the neck now!" (after I centered the plate, of course... I'm not a total dummy.)
It worked. But now I have to think up a new plan for the inset template for the ziricote... And then there's the matter of the radius and fret slots...
Anyhow, here's the beginning of my penance for impulsive behavior:
Hopefully I'll pick it up tomorrow...
Looking good, love the stuff with the neck.
I have those moements too. It's alreay cost me 1 neck blank, which I routed clear through. oops.
Yeah, I just call it 'tuition' and move on.