Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Complaint about Roland Cube's Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Grandy, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Grandy

Grandy Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2010
    Finland
    I have a Roland Cube 80 that continues to amaze me how good it is especially for the price. The only thing that bothers me is the reverb. The spring reverb is really a mushy mess. How can they model everything else close to perfection and not get this right? I don't understand. The plate reverb ok, not the greatest thing for a guitar, but ok. On other amps a nice spring reverb is the most important thing to me right after a great clean sound.

Sorry, I had to get it out.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I know what you mean. The spring reverb effect is OK at lower settings but once you bump it up to a "surfs up" level it's not the same as a spring reverb tank. That must be harder to do digitally than it seems because the digital one on my Bugera v5 is like that too. That one is fine too if you keep the setting too but once you bump it it's not all the crystal clean.

Personally I just started using the plate reverb on my 40xl because to my ears it actually sounds a little better. Or the other option would be to get a really good reverb pedal like a tc electronic which has numerous settings and see if you don't find one there that doesn't help the situation. I think their reverb and delay pedals are far better than Boss which is what the Cubes effects are modeled after.

IME nothing beats the old spring reverb tanks or they would all have been replaced by digital ones long ago. They can be finicky and prone to breaking but they still do what digital models seem to struggle with.

3. ProToneThinline

ProToneThinline Tele-Holic

Jun 27, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree. I have an 80XL, and never use the spring setting. The plate actually sounds pretty good.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.