Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Compare Mexicaster Standard Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hastings, Nov 12, 2017.

1. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Ha! I bought that "limited run" in 2014. It has been a "limited run" for years. lol

2. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I guess I never noticed because I never specifically shopped Affinities!

That's STRANGE! And COOL!

4. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

5. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So a $200 Affinity has the same wood as my $900 MIM Deluxe Thinline!

6. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I could talk about this forever, but I have to go to work now to finance my next guitar purchase!

7. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/76185/...Rosewood-Fingerboard---Competition-Orange.htm

Specs:

Body Material: Alder
    Body Finish: Polyurethane
    Neck: Maple, "C" Shape
    Neck Finish: Polyurethane
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5" (241 mm)
    Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo
    Position Inlays: White Dot
    Nut (Material/Width): Synthetic Bone, 1.6" (40.6 mm)
    Tuning Machines: Standard Die-Cast
    Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
    Bridge: 6-Saddle Top-Load Tele
    Pickguard: 3-Ply White
    Pickups: Vintage-Style Single-Coil Tele (Bridge) Vintage Style; Single-Coil Tele (Neck)
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Control Knobs: Knurled Flat-Top
    Hardware Finish: Chrome
    Strings: Fender® USA 250L, NPS (.009-.042 Gauges)
    Case/Gig Bag: None
    Other Features: Black Plastic Parts, Top Hat Switch Tip

8. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    I doubt that it matters how many pieces are used, or if does, I doubt than anyone knows that factoid.
    The best tonewoods do not necessarily have any other redeeming qualities; that is, they may be ugly, relatively weak or soft or hard and brittle, and maybe totally unsuitable for other uses, such as furniture or construction of buildings. They are just good tonewoods. A one-piece body may not be any better than a seven-piece body, although someone may have done studies and may have knowledge of such a thing, but I have never heard of it. The seven-piece might be better. The darned stuff just resonates and vibrates as it will, and no two blanks of wood (no matter how many pieces are in it) is identical to another, although any two pieces might be so similar that you would have to be a border collie to hear the difference.

For those reasons, I would never pay for beautiful maple tops. They may sound better, the same, or worse than a cheap cut of wood. I particularly would avoid spalted wood. I find it odd (to say the least) that people pay premium prices for spalted wood guitar bodies, given that the fungus which causes spalting tends to reduce wood weight and strength. It may improve tone or make it worse. I'd tend to bet on the latter.

Leo chose alder because it was cheap, easy to work and fashion, and somewhat light in weight. We are lucky that it turned out to be such a great tonewood.

9. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    My point about the Affinity being 5 pieces is that they are just making use of cut offs, not selectively using fresh alder for it. Just using up all the left overs for a budget model. Something Leo would approve of. lol

10. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I just went to the Rondo site, and lo and behold, most of their now available Tele styles are alder.

And talk about inexpensive!

11. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Light weight American alder body. Canadian maple neck .

North American special.

1) How does one buy the things: online only?
    2) How is the quality?

12. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Wow....... According to the Fender site, the Standard Telecaster with rosewood fretboard has an agathis body.

Good luck with that.

13. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    1) Online only.

2) Well-crafted guitars with a good reputation, but pup and hardware upgrades never hurt.

I have two (one is my son’s lefty), and the fit and finish are great. The only problem is, most of their Tele modules now use these stupid staggered ferrules, so if you want to replace the bridge PLATE and maintain it as a string-through-body loader, it’s a challenge.

Otherwise, easy peasy to change bridge to top-loading only.

14. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Sep 9, 2015
    South Florida
    I never got into the Squire guitars. I have MIM Strat and MIM Tele that I bought used which are just fantastic instruments.

If I'm in this price range I buy MIM used.

Not saying Squire is junk, I guess the Classic Vibe and few other models are quite good but again I'll buy a MIM every time.

15. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I had the same feelings after owning both a Squier CVC and a 2008-ish MIM tele.

They're both great guitars, and very comparable in quality, but I like the feel of the neck on the MIM way more than the CVC, so I sold the CVC.

warthog likes this.

16. Revnelli

Revnelli TDPRI Member

May 23, 2016
    Trail, BC, Canada
    My Indonesian Affinity looks like it has two pieces, maybe three - the finish is quite thick. It was sold as Alder. The main difference to the standard is that the Affinity is 1 1/2 inch thick not 1 3/4 inch. Note the Indonesian ones (come in a pack with an amp ) are different from the Chinese. I also have a MIM thinline 69 and a partscaster with a one piece alder body. I love each of them for different reasons.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.