Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Compare Mexicaster Standard Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hastings, Nov 12, 2017 at 3:35 PM.

1. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    to the wildly popular Squier Classic Vibe Custom. The pickups on the Squier are superior and it's pretty and well made. Pickups aside, though, how does the Mexican compare for $200 (+ or -) more? Is the Mexicaster like the American Tele but with cheap pickups? (BTW, I'm a rosewood board person.)

Thank you.

Ovrshoot likes this.

2. Traitor Joe

Traitor Joe TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Riverside, CA
    I can't quite do an "apples to apples" comparison but what I can tell you is this.

I have an MIM Standard Stratocaster and an MIA Standard Telecaster; the Stratocaster was set up professionally by my primary luthier (yes, he's a real luthier, not just a tech) and the Telecaster was set up by the TECH at my local shop.

My Strat plays better. Like, WAY better. And it's not just the ergonomic differences between the two; I've put a forearm contour on my Tele (blasphemy, I know) and changed the position of the strap button on the upper horn so both guitars are very similar as far as how they "sit" on my body and in relation to my arms/hands/etc.

I would be willing to bet that the Squier, after being setup the RIGHT way, would play better than an improperly setup MIM.

Dismalhead and Ira7 like this.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The general consensus is the quality is comparable in every way.

4. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Thanks for those replies.

""The general consensus is the quality is comparable in every way.""

That's too bad. I was looking for some excuse to NOT buy the Squier CV Custom because it's Chinese. In either case the neck pup will be replaced with a HB and the bridge pup will be ignored.

(1) The Antique Burst/Rosewood Mexicaster looks very cool in the photos, as cool as the Squier.
    (2) I'll have to find a Mexicaster and try it tomorrow. I need a smallish neck profile, as the CV Custom has. If the Mexicaster neck is similar, I have more work to do. If it's bigger, I'll buy the Communist Custom.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Holic

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    I can compare a bandmate's MIM Standard that I set up, and a CV '60s and MIM '50s Classic that I owned.

The MIM Standard was the runt of the litter- it just didn't feel that good to play, and the assembly seemed indifferent. Not a bad guitar, just not great. This is my overall impression of MIM Standards after having played/worked on them for years. The CV was next- well made, felt great in the hand, sounded terrific. The MIM Classic was VERY similar, only the neck was a tad chunkier and the hardware seemed a little more substantial. Also, the body of the CV seemed soft and prone to dings and scrapes in a way the MIMs didn't.

If I was paying list I'd take the CV and be happy, but the Classic came to me in a trade and the CV went away. Later, I came across a USA G&L ASAT at a no-brainer price, and the Classic went away.

6. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Maybe I'm stupider than I look: the Mexicaster seems not available with rosewood fret board. So much for that!

7. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2011
    Slovenia
    I had a Squier CVC and now have a Mexican tele. I just didn't like the CVC. The neck was flatter and it felt narrow at the nut. Sure I could have sold the neck, but I sold the guitar. The Mexican standard tele feel amazing. The neck is perfect for me. I also like rosewood necks and found a sweet rosewood Mexican neck that I'll put on it.

SolidSteak and rich815 like this.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Fender does a weird thing by offering certain body colors only with either rosewood or maple neck. Not both options.

Dismalhead likes this.

9. Traitor Joe

Traitor Joe TDPRI Member

Oct 25, 2016
    Riverside, CA
    This, and also... They're using "Pau Ferro" on the MIM's now if I'm not mistaken. It seems to me like it might generally be a slightly lighter-colored wood compared to rosewood. I've liked every example I've seen.

10. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    I generally like the look of Pao Ferro also.

11. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Yes, point taken. They also are currently making the Affinity guitars (or most of them) of alder, and yet they are offering more expensive models in agathis wood. That is back asswards to my way of thinking.

12. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    That was my impression also though the neck joints in China are different in the routing method. You can tell where all three bodies are made just from the tooling and routing. In China a drill press is used in the neck joint before its routed so theres extra dead space in the joint in both rear corners.

Why, I have no idea but it must be a faster production method.

13. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA

14. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    About that Affinity. Mine is made of about 5 or six small pieces. While mexi alder teles are generally two piece aren't they?

They are probably using cutoffs from other higher end squiers to make Affinity's out of.

15. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

The CV neck is going to feel slimmer than the MIM neck - if you like slim necks, and don't mind the gloss finish (or, you don't mind hitting it w some scotchbrite pads), the CV might be the way to go for you

16. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    Have had both and they were comparable.

Both had necks that were too thin for me, though.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You sure about this? I haven't checked lately, but I didn't think they were doing Affinities in Alder.

18. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

19. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca

20. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.