Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Comfortably Numb sound?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rglenna, Dec 24, 2012.

1. rglenna

rglenna TDPRI Member

I need to add a neck pup to my tele and would like to get as close to a "comfortably numb" sound as possible. What pickup should I go with? Thanks in advance.

2. rdeeno

rdeeno TDPRI Member

Lets see, wasn't that played on a mid 60s strat so. I believe my Van Zandt Vintage Plus strat pickups gets close.

3. Pips

Pips Tele-Meister

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

A Strat pup might do it, but the actual solo is played on the bridge pup. Check out the vid at the Royal Albert Hall....

Yup, just been working on that myself....

6. wmsimpson

wmsimpson Tele-Holic

I do believe them Strat pups are EMGs.

7. csbluesman

csbluesman Tele-Meister

On the Wall album, Comfortably Numb was played on a Les Paul. The biggest part of getting the tone for this song is to use a Big Muff with a boost pedal after it and then some delay.

8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

But a p90 les Paul, right?

9. sascha

sascha TDPRI Member

http://www.gilmourish.com/?p=268

10. 1cpw

1cpw TDPRI Member

11. Chautauqua

Chautauqua Tele-Holic

If you want to add a pp that'll make your guitar as versatile as possible then throw a WRHB in the neck and be done with it (Lollar, Novaks, Telenator modded RI etc...). These pups give you all the growl you want from a Humbucker, but have a nice chime to them that no other Bucker can give you (due to the size and area that the up receives from) which I think really compliments the typical Tele SC tone well (vastly better then Strats with bridge HB's IMO).

Otherwise: the best fender to nail the recorded versions solo is the Telecaster Deluxe (I blend the neck and bridge with the bridges tone down on like 3 and the necks up at a 8-9, volume split is Neck 9, bridge 8 - gives a good blend and the WRHB's have an inherent "single coil chime" to them that really articulates the singles notes and then it'll do al the "growl" that the raw chords need).. With that and my Flashback X4 I can get all those crazy "barking" tones that he does through out the album and then come the C.Numb solo (as has been said, it's an overdub with an LP EDIT: I guess I'm wrong about that :confused: I've read that multiple places including a very well written book and now I'm wondering what ELSE I've been misinformed about... Either way, the EMG's certainly have a "bucker like growl" to them when pushed as the active pup kind of makes up fr the lower OP of the typical SC versus a Humbucker) you just roll that volume up and get that growl going with the delay (I use either the "tube" or even the "Space Echo" delays with a good long trail and a tight delay time to keep the repeats close to the original notes with both 1/4 + Dotted 1/8th notes). Nails it every time in a way no Strat can (realizing that Gilmour is a committed Strat player for the most par - love the pics of him playing the Tele though - but the dual-HB guitar just does a better job for that tone).

I'm currently trying to learn the funky "2nd solo" from Echoes at Pompeii.... The one where Nick Mason is going nuts and Gilmour is standing there shirtless doing those "seagull cries on crak" thing... I LOVE that rhythm SO much. I ealize Comfortably Nub is the most popular solo, but it's not my favorite (I still LOVE it though ;) ).

Cheers

Dave

12. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Just as tone is in the fingers, its also in the mind. Its too late for your mother to be over protective. Marry a fat and psychotic woman and have her beat you soundly to within inches of your life. Ooops, never mind that's to get the bass tone.

13. GCKelloch

GCKelloch Tele-Afflicted

I think guitar players imbue an almost supernatural ability to the players they like. Gilmore is a very creative and tasty player, but I'm sure he does things with articulation through a given rig he couldn't exactly recreate on demand. Lots of things are happy mistakes, or just work out better some times than others. Wouldn't have thought he used a Dimarzio DS-1 and a Big Muff on the original recording. Guess that goes to show how much is in the amp/speaker. I used to have a HiWatt Custom 100 combo. It sounded kind of like his sound when it was up really loud.

14. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Bits of The Wall's guitar parts were ampless, straight into the desk, iirc. I'm pretty sure the solo on either/both Comfortably Numb or Brick in't Wall Pt 2 were recorded like that.

15. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

That's another brick in the wall. A p90 goldtop in the neck position straight into the board BUT re-amped later through a twin iirc.

16. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Thats pretty amazing. You'd think he'd need to hear all that hollowness to play like that. Str8 in sounds like Lennon on "Revolution".

17. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, I can get that sound out of any of my guitars, including a big hollow body Gretsch. One reason I can get that sound is because in addition to drive and delay, I use a treble booster (Beano Boost). It's the secret weapon that can make the difference between kind of getting there or nailing it IMO.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.