Combining two amps with AB switcher

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Ian T, May 16, 2019.

1. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I recently bought a Fulltone Thru Tone AB switcher and have been running two amps at once. What an awesome new realm of tone this has opened. Not sure why I waited so long to try this. Very inspiring sounds! If you haven't tried this - I can't recommend enough.

For living room practice, I'm combining a Deluxe Reverb with an Ampeg Gemini. Just awesome! The amps each have their own distinct tones and reverb sounds, and when combined the sound is truly multidimensional. I also patch a looper in, but only to one of the amps, so when the loop plays back there is separation as if there is two guitarists. Awesome tones!

I've also tried my Twin Reverb with my Victoria Bassman....very loud, but what a tone. The Twin adds boldness and sparkle, the Bassman adds mids and responsiveness, and together this sound is HUGE. The Twin adds a lot to the sound of any other amp I combine it with, even when at low volume by firming up the bass.

I'm so enamored with the tones I'm getting that yesterday I made an impulsive purchase, and have a Victoria 5112 on the way. Pretty much just for the purpose of using to combine with other amps. I can't wait.

I'm curious what kind of amp combos you guys have enjoyed running like this. What volumes and dirt levels do you run on each amp? Do you guys run dirt and effects before one of the amps, or both?

Please share your experiences with a dual amp setup!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    RoscoeElegante and rze99 like this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

Oddly, pair up one of you favorite amps with a small tube amp or even solid state; still sounds like major improvements tone wise. I guess filling the air with sound is half the battle.

Ian T likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Please share your experiences with a dual amp setup!

OKAAAAY...so many...

way back in the '90s I did a recording session and the engineer put me through my vintage Marshall MV 50w stack (mine) combined with a Mesa Boogie Studio (his) and.. it was just wonderful.

I like to use one set dark and dirtier, the other brighter and cleaner (with reverb and sometimes a hint of chorus).

I'm lucky enough to have a number of great amps and here are the combinations I use. I always use THD Hotplates to get the desired dirt and dbs.

Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 (Dirty) + DRRI (Cleaner) - this is my go-to main gigging and rehearsing rig.

other amp mixes I use

Vox AC30TB (Dirty)+ DRRI (Cleaner)
    Marshall MV50 stack (Dirty) + DRRI (Cleaner)
    Marshall MV50 stack (Dirty) + Vox AC30TB (cleaner)
    Vox AC30TB (Dirty)+ 5e3 clone (cleaner)
    5e3 clone (dirty) + DRRI (cleaner)
    Marshall MV50 stack (Dirty) + 5e3 clone (dirty)

I like them split about 6 foot apart.

Ian T and muscmp like this.
  4. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

like rze99 i spread out the two amps while using a morley aby pedal that makes it real easy to set each amp.

mainly, i'm using a 76 champ with a 75 vibro champ. and, also like rze99, i tweak them differently on purpose. note that this setup also utilizes a pedal board of mostly strymon pedals but also a fulltone fulldrive 3.

others i have paired are two 5e3 deluxes that i've built. a 66 deluxe reverb and 59 princeton. two gibson ga79rvt amps. a vox ac15c1 and a sears 1482.

play music!

Ian T and rze99 like this.
  5. watercaster

watercaster Tele-Meister

I use my aby pedal to combine my Peavey Delta Blues and a Blackstar ID Core 10. The big 15 fills the low end and the 10 adds the sparkle. Heavenly.

Ian T likes this.
  6. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I have this idea of combining a small, yet powerful Class D bass amp with the 5F1 champ that I'll have to try. This is something that fuzz bass players do; one clean bass amp, then one distorted guitar amp. Idea being that the bass amp would provide a bold and tight core tone, and the Champ could provide the tube breakup and mids.

I think I remember hearing George Benson at one time was running both a Polytone and a Twin. So many options to try!

7. leftfoot1381

leftfoot1381 TDPRI Member

I have a Radial ABY pedal and it is a lot of fun playing with different amps together. I don't have any real high dollar amps, but a Classic 50 and a Pro Jr. sound good together. So does a Peavey Special 130 and a Pro Jr.

8. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

When I first got my DRRI I used it at a gig with my Carvin X Amp and an A/B/C box. I am not motivated to carry two amps around on a regular basis.

9. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I did it years ago because I could drastically improve the sound of one crappy amp ('79 Pro Reverb) by adding my one great amp (56 Deluxe).
    I don't even want to try it now.
    I don't need to fall in love with a sound that will make me want to drag TWO amps to the gig.

mfguitar likes this.
  10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Seems like I just posted a comment on this subject, but obviously not here, so I guess it was another thread. I haven't used the search engine to find it, but I guess it doesn't matter. This is a discussion forum, right? We can have more than one thread going about the same subject.

My ABY box is a simple and inexpensive one, the LiveWire ABY Box, but it gets the job done, and I've never had an issue with ground loops or whatever.
    LiveWire ABY Box - 1.jpg LiveWire ABY Box - 2.jpg

I have experimented with two amps and my ABY box at home over the years, but not lately. And I've gigged/played at a church a few times with such a set up, but again, not lately. Like @alnico357 and @charlie chitlin, I'm not highly motivated to schlep around more gear. Time was I gigged with two Peavey Bandits (two 40 lb. amps) for an outdoor gig at a condo/resort right on Mustang Island, but that was a half dozen years ago and before my heart attack and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery.

I have, however, gigged this ABY plus two Vox Pathfinder 15Rs as my amps. The PF15Rs weigh like 18 lbs apiece, so it's not too much of a chore schlepping them both to a gig. Last fall was the last time I gigged that way. And when I do this, I have the settings on the amps the same, instead of going for clean/dirty or wet/dry. My goal is to have a wider dispersion pattern of the same sound.

BTW, I didn't notice the hair and dust/dander on my ABY box until I uploaded the pics here. As you might be able to tell from my avatar pic, I have long gray hair and an equally long gray beard. Plus, my wife has long hair, and we have two indoor cats and an indoor dog, so one of us is always shedding! :oops:

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I occasionally use my lowly E-H Switchblade.
    Some have assured me it's a satanic tone succubus, but I'm OK with it.

12. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I run out of my AX8 into my Mark IV combo, and an older ('79?) Acoustic G100-12 combo (which was a blatant Mark II clone). It's pretty cool :) Both have a single EVM 12 in them but are otherwise fairly different. The delays and chorus are stereo to the Acoustic gets right and the Boogie gets left.

13. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have the same ABY box. I use a GT-100 for my band, but I have an old Tonelab SE I still love. Sometimes I play them both together, and it sounds awesome. But I would never take it to a gig, it takes up too much real estate on the floor.

LGOberean likes this.
  14. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Via my Radial Tonebone, a dandy gizmo, indeed, I've been stereo'ing my Excelsior Pro and Vox AC15C1 for some years now. Glorious!

Gotta get the new cabinets for the Excelsior and also a '73 Bandmaster Reverb going, and then it will be two and also THREE and even FOUR amps running together, as I have a solid-state Princeton Chorus that we use for bass, but which sounds fine when pedal'd up. {Happy Snidely Whiplash chortling here.}

I am a madman and my neighbors are indulgent and/or ghosts.

We are lucky, lucky people.....

15. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

There's an ac15 under the cover behind the pedalboard.
    IMG_20190511_123107384.jpg

16. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

20181026_173642.jpg 20181229_094253.jpg 20181229_094253.jpg In one room I have two Blackstar Club 40s. I the other room it's a Blackstar HT20 MKII with a Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester 36

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  17. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

I used to gig with a 2x 15 watt amps into a stereo 4x10-and it was great. These days I use a 5e3 and a 5f1, with a radial switcher-no need for pedals other than that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.