Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

combine 2 tone with fucus mod

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by hopdybob, Jun 14, 2017.

1. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands

2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    i now see i made some stupid mistakes. back to the drawing-board

3. BB

BB Friend of Leo's

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I mixed up a few wires once and came up with the "Mucus Mod". Great for the those Tom Waits tunes, clearing your throat and adding a bit of phlegm to the tone.

Teleterr likes this.

4. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    I think maybe what you are trying to do is something like shown below. You can use any value caps you wish.

Attached Files:

fabricator likes this.

5. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    googling the mucus mod i find a lot of medical stuff, no guitar mod ;-)

6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    thanks tubejockey, it comes near. but i tried the G&L PTB in a guitar and liked the basscut in some positions so i would like to have the option choosing basscut ore normal tone function.
    now i am studying it better i think this is not possible with a mini switch

fabricator likes this.

7. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    well i found out that a single on/on switch was not enough. it had to do 3 things
    i made a new layout and come to this. above are the 2 functions that i want to combine in 1 pot with switch.

i would say shoot your comments![​IMG]

8. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I've done this on an Esquire, one of the positions makes the tone into a bass-cut. To be honest a bass cut is most useful on a neck pickup or a humbucker.

EDITED: Just made an alteration just to connect lug 2 and 3 in the bass cut position to satisfy those with OCD as the jumper isn't actually necessary it's just standard practice for wiring a potentiometer as a variable resistor.

Anyway, this is how I would wire it with C1 as 2.1 nF and C2 as 22nF.

Basstreblecut.png

Right is showing how a switch between the volume and tone would look and right is similar to how you've shown your diagrams. Ignore that it says Lin and 250k on the pots it's just the default value.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    hopdybob likes this.

9. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Meister

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    @Asmith Thank for sharing and commenting it.

10. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Yes, that is what my diagram does. With the push-pull down, it is a normal tone control (treble roll-off), with it up, it is a bass control.

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    just remembered you can wire a TBX pot and get what you want. 0-5 is normal tone control and 5-10 is a bass cut. I think there's an indent in the middle that acts like a no-load tone pot as well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.