Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Colors needed for dirty lemon burst

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by sleazy pot pie, Oct 4, 2017.

1. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

I'm watching this thread with interest. The "dirty lemon" is such a pretty result of a "happy accident" of a finish. I'm a long time woodworker, but strictly a novice at applying finish. The idea of adding a little blue or red to a totally different color to help bring it out wouldn't have occurred to me.
    I've been experimenting with finishes and colorings myself and I've kind of gravitated towards Jeff Jewitts products since he's a local guy and his products are very available. I started with the Mixol tints because they are relatively cheap, but I finally bit the bullet (and pulled out my wallet!) and bought a small assortment of the TransTint dyes. Wow, what a difference! For a transparent type finish they make Mixol look like mud. 20 bucks is a lot of money for 2 ounces of color, but it sure goes a long way. The best of Luck to you with your finish, Pot Pie!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

2. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Me either, until I read in Beauty of the Burst that Gibson added blue to the red to make the cherry burst - and it made perfect sense to tamp down the orangey red with a complimentary color. The idea is to take it a little bit in the direction of brown -- instead of the purplish grey that we all made in kindergarten using every bottle of paint on the table (what, didn't everybody?).

Something I do often with furniture stain, if I think things are a little too red, is to add some green. So, having blue and green Transtint dye in the inventory has become very useful. Same idea for Mixol pigments.

sleazy pot pie and old wrench like this.

3. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin
    Thanks again for the help. 1507754123444.jpg

It is hard to capture the colors corectly first thing in the morning, but this is close.
    With no yellow, i used amber and have gotten pretty close to a honeyburst.
    Especially compared to the les paul 60s tribute faded.

When you spray a burst, i know you want to aim away from the body by about 2 inches, but is that with a vertical or horizontal spray pattern?

4. sleazy pot pie

May 31, 2014
    austin
    Screenshot_2017-10-18-08-49-06.png Screenshot_2017-10-18-08-49-09.png Screenshot_2017-10-18-08-49-16.png I have a question that is a little different direction.
    I found this beautiful tele on ebay, wondering how you guys would get this finish
    Is this jus tobacco brown over amber? Or is there some mahogany/cherry red mixed into the brown? Is it just straight amber base or is it amber over yellow?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    So I have found (unless I'm going for something obscenely yellow) I almost never use yellow for bursts of any kind. The Vintage Amber from Stew Mac's ColorTone dye is a great place to start almost always, for me. Then a concentrated mix of Tobacco Brown should get you there. Maybe at the end you'll want to mix a drop or two of red in a thinned down Tobacco Brown mixture and lightly spray the transition. Just have to wait and see what you get. I never commit to a process. Stay fluid and adjust as you go!

6. sleazy pot pie

May 31, 2014
    austin
    Great, thank you very much. I have 4 pine bodies that i am prepping for paint. If the weather holds out i plan on spraying this weekend, but it looks like rain here in austin now.

The stew mac colortone is the same as transtint right? Or is colortone the larger bottles?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.