Colonoscopy yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, May 8, 2019.

1. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cologuard just tests for cancer and does not substitute for a visual exam that can find other things. The deal with a 'scope is that the surgeon gets to see your colon from start to finish and find/fix stuff that way, like polyps which are common.

To all, don't put your energy into thinking up reasons not to get a colonoscopy. Just go do it and know exactly where you stand with cancer and colon issues.

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

THIS.

I only know the stuff my docs have suggested/I’ve done.

But when it is time, do something.

Cheers,
    Geoff

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I like to be knocked out. Just me. Oh ya. Get some newspapers to read.

4. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

My understanding of polyps are they can be pre-cancerous growths, in other words sometimes if left to grow some may turn into cancerous growths, that can be easily snipped out when they are small. You don’t feel it. And certain polyps, based on size and shape are more likely to be indicative of potential cancerous growth. So there is something to be gained from a visual inspection. But I ain’t a doctor, I just had a bigger flatter polyp the first time that was the more worrisome type, hence the more frequent visits.

Again, talk with your doc. See what option seems best when it’s time, but don’t fear the colonoscopy if that seems to be what the doctor orders.

Cheers,
    Geoff

5. Daddydex

Daddydex Friend of Leo's

I have had two. Polyps both times. They wanted me to go back after one year this time but my insurance wasn't going to play along so we try again next year.

1st time: Lots of Gatorade and Mirolax. Everything went fine. I went out to lunch immediately after.

2nd time: Little pills and clear liquids. Woke up after the procedure with intense gas pains. Lasted for 8 hours. Horrible. One of the worst days of my life.

Dan

6. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm due for my annual scope next month...... thanks for reminding me...:lol:

had a tumor removed a few years back and all is good now...:)

Do it! guys.. it might just save your life....:cool:

7. Ivorytooth

Ivorytooth TDPRI Member

I had my second one done yesterday too.

Colon cancer is a silent killer. It killed my dad, who would never go have one done and had a bad lifestyle to boot. He was 67. By the time he decided to go to the doctor at age 65 cause he noticed something was wrong, it was too late. He made it two years with surgery and chemo. Died when he didn't have to.

Usually by the time you know something isn't right, it is too late. Get checked.

My first one colonoscopy was at 50. Found one 6mm polyp. During my second one yesterday, they found 3 that were 5mm. I am 55. I don't have results of the 3 yet, but I am pretty sure they were not were the dangerous kind. I have a healthy lifestyle. Life long athlete. Doesn't matter, I can still get it, so I go when I am supposed to.

First time, prep was the Miralax. This time, Suprep.

If you are 50, GET it done!! It isn't painful and the procedure takes about 20 mins. I was out during this time, so never was aware. The worst part is sitting on the toilet. In other words, anyone can deal with it. DO IT!

8. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Digital Larry likes this.
  9. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

My experience was the fluid you drink to clean you out really works and I got a nice chicken sandwich afterwards. Get it done.

kookaburra likes this.
  10. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I just got my first one at 58. I'd been doing the "FIT" test through the mail. Last year it was negative. This year it was positive. The night I got the test results I started to feel like total crap in my lower left abdomen. Felt slightly better but not much over the intervening two weeks before the test. Anyway long story short, as I was being prepped at the hospital the doctor said "if you feel the urge to release gas, just go ahead". To which I replied "you obviously don't know me very well". Sorry, just thought I'd throw that in. Anyway I promptly fell asleep and woke up awhile later to the guy telling me I have diverticulosis (which explains the occasional discomfort which is apparently diet related) and something else benign that explains the positive FIT test and 3 small polyps which they removed and were found benign. Come back in 3 years.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Oh, when you mentioned the commercials for it I just guessed it might have been some random company that offered the service. Sounds like your poop will be safe in their hands.:)

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Chunkocaster likes this.
  13. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No. An alternative to the colonoscopy.

14. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I got a chix wrap. It was pretty darn tasty.

A year before that I had cataract surgery. The doc brought by some of his wife's homemade Greek pastries for me and the wife. Tasty also!

I was hoping to watch butt tv during the procedure, but the "twilight anesthesia" hit me a bit hard. I woke up to the end credits rolling, as in rolling back to the recovery room.

15. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Been there done that 6 times. Family history. I've done the salty sludge, the gallon of drano, and the fizzy stuff with laxatives. The prep is the worst part. The procedure is a breeze.

I go on clear liquids for a few days ahead of time; it makes it easier. By the time I get there, I am low energy and tired, they hook up the IV, and I wake up in recovery. Buh-Bam!

The last two have been really clean. I have been on the 5 year plan after the last two, rather than the three year like when I started out.

16. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've had two so far. The first when I turned 50, great insurance that didn't cost me a dime. Was cleared for 10 years. I had one last year after having some gastro issues & after all the other test, they scheduled me for one although I wasn't due for a couple of years. The only appointment I could get within 6 months was at 3:00 in the afternoon on a Monday. Per doctors orders I could only have clear liquids on Sunday, no food on Monday, only black coffee, & no water after 11:00 am. That was not pleasant. Did my half of my prep Sunday starting at 6:00 pm & finished by 11:00 Monday morning. Got to the office @ 2:30 and they took my right back. They were running behind, no pun, & they didn't take me back till @ 6:00. I was not happy but at that stage there was not much I could do. I actually woke up about 15 minutes before they were through, which was odd but not painful. All test were clear, no polyps, so I'm thankful. The most painful part was the $2000+ bill I received. It didn't fall within my Wellness Program so I took up the rear in more ways than one. About a month later during my works open enrollment, my company partnered with a group that does tons of different test & even surgeries for a $25.00 copay. It will require my go to an out of town hospital with about 6 to choose from.

Again, I'm thankful for a clean checkup & although paying $2000 sux, we managed.

Geoff, glad your's was clean.

17. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

If you ask nicely they'll give you a DVD of the whole thing, you can then invite the neighbours over for a viewing of your insides. Much more interesting than the old syle slide nights of your last holiday.:)

stratofortress likes this.
  18. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I was 31 or so when I had my first bout with Ulcerative Colitis. I was young and thought I could beat it. I took the pills until I pooped normally, then quit until the next time it showed up. The first time it took 8 years to come back, then 5, then 3, then 6 months. At that point I admitted defeat and started with the pills regularly. I've had 3 scopes so far, and all I have is some scarring from the UC. I'll be 49 this year and I go when the doc tells me now.

19. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Three years ago after my Dr kept on me for months to have this done. I did it. When I awoke one of the nurses said "I'm so sorry about the cancer" They found a baseball size cancer in there along with my appendix being completely infected. I went in for a pretty large chunk of my large intestine was removed along with my appendix and other assorted goodies. My surgeon was able to remove all the cancer. I was supposed to return after a year for a look, but I really didn't want to know. After my Dr rode my butt again for months I went in for the tests. Well they removed a small polyp and looks like I'm doing pretty good. So my Dr saved my life the first time around and probably the second. It is not a big deal, completely painless and the best sleep you'll ever have. If you are 50+ get your ass in there and get it done for your loved ones.

20. chet again

chet again Tele-Meister

I just had a checkup yesterday. The doctor is having me take three little cards, take a little stick and wipe bits of "poop" (OMG! can I say that here?) on them. Then I have to put it in the fridge until I get three separate samples. Then I have to turn them in to the lab next week.
    I'm thinking that I should just schedule the scope deal and get it over with.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.