Colonoscopy yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, May 8, 2019.

1. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm of the age where it's time to get one done. Dr already put in for it, I just have to schedule it. He gave 2 options, 1 a routine blood test & the other the more obvious route. I'm trying to wrap my head around the prep for the more invasive one. Don't know how i'm expected to physically work with the no food intake. Anyone have any more insight? Transportation is another, but that isn't the concern, the test is the priority.

I like pooping in boxes. Tell me moAr!

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Pictures or it didn’t happen?

thegeezer likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis Friend of Leo's

I have a friend with stage 4 colon cancer. It didn't take much to convince me to get my third one recently.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's called Cologuard, maybe you've noticed their commercials...completely non-invasive, you poop in a box and sprinkle some magic fairy dust on it , and UPS (Big Brown!) comes and picks it up from your doorstep! Most places offer it as an option to colonoscopies, I went for that because it was cheaper and waaaaaayyy less effort/investment required on my part.

Read all about it!http://www.tdpri.com/threads/i-pooped-in-a-box-today.717803/

5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

I had my first scope about 3 years ago. I chose the pill based prep rather than the vile lemony liquid schmutz stuff. If you can swallow good sized pills I recommend it.

Mine was clear, and I don't remember a thing. My wife took me out for blueberry pancakes afterwards, so it was a day well spent all around!

6. Chatnoir

Chatnoir Tele-Holic

Strong family history here. Had my first one done at 30 years old. Even the doctor was a tad surprised.

7. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

You can have clear broth and Gatorade, not red, so you can have caloric intake. The hard part might be starting the prep at 4 as I was supposed to, which leads to bathroom time about five or so. If you were caught in rush hour traffic on the way home, that could not end well. I started a bit late but ended on time. You really have to guzzle the stuff for hours.

Cheers,
    Geoff

bender66 likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think there's a company called something like Ex Revenge or revenge your ex that offers a similar online service. Not sure if you have to poop in the box or they do it for you.

The problem with both is how do you know they don't just throw the poop in the bin?
    I would rather have a medical professional do a proper test to be sure everything is ok.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  9. Geoff738

There are prep methods being mentioned here that I’m not familiar with. Depends on the doc. I do mine at a hospital now but I was told that the different doctors there are different in what they want their patients to do. Not sure that any of them allow eating the day before though?
    Cheers,
    Geoff

10. bender66

Gatorade & broth isn't gonna get me through a shift. I work evenings. Are there calories in either?!! lol

Are you referring to something specific as prep or are you alluding to the Gatorade & broth?

11. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

So, without taking a look-see, how do they see and remove any polyps that may be in there?

12. Geoff738

Just saying Gatorade and broth are allowed. They aren’t the prep stuff.

If you were working while doing the prep you would be spending a chunk of that time on the toilet. Just unavoidable doing the prep that I did. May be other methods more suited to your situation.

Cheers,
    Geoff

bender66 likes this.
  13. blowtorch

Um.
    Your doctor writes you a referral to get this test. They send your poop to a lab where smart medical people work. They examine your poop and determine whether you need anything further, or if you're good to go (now that you've gone)

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. blowtorch

They can tell by your poop. They are like fortune-tellers.

Some use tea leaves, they use your poop.

Criminey, I can't believe you guys are letting people, like, go in there (uh, not that there's anything wrong with that, I guess?), when you could just poop in a box, instead.

Oh well, to each his own, I suppose. :)

bender66 likes this.
  15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

You know you're in a forum full of old guys when you get 34 hits and counting on a thread about a colonoscopy procedure. Thanks for the reminder. Mine is next week and I'm dreading the thought of drinking all that lemon flavored sweat before I head over there.:mad:

16. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

For younger people, and some older too I guess, these things below your waist can be embarrassing. And thus people won’t have things checked up, even if there are signs that something ain’t right.

I can speak for myself, that don’t be embarrassed. I waited for more than a year to let doctor see my testicle. For less than 24 hrs from that point the testicle was removed: cancer. It was my 23th birthday, quite a present. I knew something was wrong for a long time; test getting harder and it gradually grew as big as an orange. But no, I was young, tough, fit and indestructible. How wrong was I. Thankfully the cancer hadn’t spred to the internal organs during that year+. After radiotherapy and 10 year of following the situation, I was officially cured.

Don’t want to hijack this important thread, no need to reply. My message is: don’t be embarrassed, don’t wait. Your life can be on the line. I was lucky, someone else won’t be.

I wish all the best to the OP, and for those who find this issue personal.

bender66 likes this.
  17. bender66

We think alike (at least on tha innurnetz).

I like the "steps" approach. Do one, & if it comes back +/-, proceed to the next step. The first being the least intrusive to me (pun intended).

Thanks for the info geoff738. All stuff I woulda found out in real time. Wouldn't have made for a productive day.

My Dr mentioned an easy blood draw. Anyone know more about this approach, reliability, etc?

18. blowtorch

exACTly.

The most important thing though, is to get some kind of test done, when it's that time.

19. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Was this mentioned for a prostate check?

20. John Owen

John Owen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Video or it didn't happen. Just sayin.

E5RSY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.