Colonoscopy yesterday

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Geoff738, May 8, 2019.

1. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

yay, Fun times!

Or as I said as I was signing in, I’m here for a good time, not a long time.

I’ve done this four times now, so I guess I kinda get the drill. And as at every other time they did find a polyp but a very small one so if it comes back ok, I don’t have do this again for five years.

But my main point in bringing this up is if you’re avoiding this or putting it off for fear of either the the prep or the procedure itself? The prep isn’t that bad. It can vary a bit depending where you go, sometimes you have to alter your diet a bit a few days before, nothing with seeds, nothing red etc. My doc doesn’t do that. Just day before a few pills in the morning, no food, only clear / liquids you can see through then late afternoon for a couple hours and again in the evening for a couple hours drinking lots of stuff that makes you go and sit on the toilet for a bit. But it’s not like you’re running there every five minutes or anything. It just ain’t that bad. Timing can be a bit different if your procedure is in the afternoon.

Day of procedure no food or drink. Show up, get hooked up to an IV that puts many people out. Not me so I’m feeling everything and one out of the four was a bit uncomfortable. Twenty minutes and done. That’s it.

It isn’t that bad.

If you’re of the age, especially if you have family history of colon cancer as I do, just go get ‘er done. It ain’t that bad.

Anything more and I think we’re venturing into tmi territory but if you need to have one done, get it done is all.

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the update Geoff. I've been meaning to get one done to be on the safe side. These details help soften the blow a bit. I'll have to check into it.

3. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

I hope you're doing OK healthwise. If you're 54 and have already had four of them, that is not exactly normal.

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  4. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Yup

Just do it

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Lake Placid Blue and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Like the sport shoe company says - "Just Do It"
    Colon exam is so fast & easy, the excuses to Not do it are generally lame.
    Since colon cancer took Both my FIL and MIL, we're a little touchy @ House-Of-Deeve about folks who delay their exams.

As OP indicates, there are a few variations for prep, but it's a lot like what you do before applying finish to a guitar - you want it clean.

Peace - Deeve
    Tonya-taking-a-knee.png

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

+1. Just do it. I’m going to be due for my second one next year. The worst part about mine was that they laid me on a gurney in the hall and told me they wouldn’t let me go home until I passed gas. I thought that was really weird.

Zepfan and nojazzhere like this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

At (now) age sixty-seven, I should have done the test several years ago, but scheduling never worked out. Last year, my primary care doc had me do the Cologuard test. No prep required, and many say it's more reliable than old fashioned "scope". Others say it's not as reliable. Seems to me that actually lab-testing your DNA for presence of cancer would be more accurate than a person looking (and maybe missing) something with a scope. At any rate, my test came back negative, meaning "clear". Eventually I'm sure I'll have to get scoped, but I'm not in a hurry. Unrelated....but in the same "area", I'm dealing with something called a "fissure" which is the most painful thing (long term) I've ever dealt with......:(

9. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If there's history it is. I do, and they found a polyp twice, so I'm to go every 3 years. No biggie you just fart in different key for a while.

10. Geoff738

Combination of family history and finding polyps each time, but first visit found a large one they wanted me to go to hospital to remove and test for so really two visits for that one. Good news is visits getting spaced further apart and finding less.

Cheers,
    Geoff

E5RSY likes this.
  11. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

do it. colon cancer killed my younger brother. he was in his mid 50s when diagnosed as stage 4. he made almost 10 years after that but there was a lot of operations, etc, and you do not want to know the details. the whole thing could have been avoided by early detection.

8barlouie likes this.
  12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Just had my first a couple of months ago. The peace of mind is worth the price of admission.

13. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

I have done this two or three times and am coming up on being due to do it again. I hate the preparation but think I would dislike colon cancer more.

Flakey and 8barlouie like this.
  14. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I had a colonoscopy a year ago after a positive Cologard test. I dodged the bullet. I had a large precancerous polyp removed. I asked the surgeon to try to get me a slide. When I looked it, I realized just how close I came. Densely packed cells with ugly purple nuclei but lucky for me, clear margins meaning that the polyp hadn't become invasive yet. If anyone is thinking it can't be me, it can. I had a follow up colonoscopy in January and a couple of small polyps were found so I'll be going back each year. I'm old but I'm not dead yet and I'm not looking to hasten the process.

chet again, 8barlouie and Jim622 like this.
  15. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice catch. We d what we have too. Good luck.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Good news and good advice Geoff738.

I've had one and I don't have to go back for a decade.

It's no big deal - do it!

The "twilight state" thing was funny. I went out cold; woke up in a warm bed - my wife took me home. That was it.

Twilight state my *ss - no pun intended.

Do it!

:cool:

17. Geoff738

See what your doc says. If you don’t have family history and you’re under fifty you’re probably good for a bit, but don’t quote me on that. Won’t hurt to ask at your next visit.

Cheers,
    Geoff

18. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, just had my second one in the past three years. Removed eight (!) polyps this time, so I guess I’ll be going back in another three.

Pathology was good. Family history is lousy on my mother’s side. Just cardiac stuff on my father’s. Of course, I have three heart attacks in the books too.

Getting older isn’t for sissies. I’ll echo what’s been said. Don’t ignore family history. A little unpleasantness can buy a lot of time and get you more years of gigging. Just sayin’.

19. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I remember the prep going something like this...

thegeezer and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a similar experience paying my property taxes yesterday.
    Hope all reports are good with your tests.

Zepfan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.