Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Collings guitar owners club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Jostein, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    I highly recommend it. I spent a whole day at their factory in Austin, then two days later went to NAMM where I was hanging out with them all the time.
    Seeing how they work in the factory was incredible.

2. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Here is a demo video of the new Collings C10-35.

3. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    A demo of an all mahogany soco with dog-ear P90's.

4. SocoDeluxe

SocoDeluxe NEW MEMBER!

Jul 15, 2015
    Youngsville, LA
    SocoDeluxe Owner

Hey everyone,

I just found out about this forum and have owned a Collings SoCo Deluxe for 2.5 years and also have an Eastside Deluxe LC. Both are amazing instruments! I can post some pics of both soon. The SoCo is already showing the signs of wear so it's being played I assure you. I find that the Soco is brighter than the Eastside, all things being equal. It has a solid maple top. I am thinking about getting a laminate top I-35LC but I really want to play it first and make sure it has a softer edge than the SoCo( to have a different tool in the kit). I played an Ibanez AM-205 since high school and I bought it brand new in 1983. It actually is a great guitar, but I finally decided to step it up a bit and have to admit that Collings guitars have several qualities that are addictive: 1) They look KILLER, 2) The tonal spectrum from brightest bridge tone to darkest neck tone are extremely broad, useful and fluid tones for one instrument to have, 3) the fretwork is great.
    I have noticed that these solid one piece mahogany necks are more sensitive to temperature and humidity changes than all of my other guitars with maple or three-piece laminate necks in terms of needing tweaking of the neck relief.
    I just leave the truss rod cover off now so that I can keep it playing the best as quickly as possible. I usually have the humidity in the playing room between 59-70% max.

5. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Welcome! I also own a Soco Deluxe and an Eastisde(as well as a Soco Spruce and 360st). My screen-name on the Collings forum and jazz forum is Soco... Sounds like you are keeping the guitar in pretty humid conditions, I think 49% s recommended. Maybe get a de-humidifier?
    I find the necks on my soco's and other collings to be extremely stable, I almost never need to tweak them. Make sure to post some photos of your guitars if you can! By the way, there is a new model that came out today(they actually let me borrow it for a while), which is a fully hollow laminated 15' Eastside. Kind of a mix of an eastside and soco.

6. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Here is the new Eastside Jazz 15' with my regular Eastside.
    [​IMG]

7. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Just did a demo of a great I-35lc

8. LowPassFilter

LowPassFilter TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2015
    The South
    I own a TV Yellow Collings 290 and a City Limits w/ ThroBaks, and they are both amazing guitars. Collings quality control is second to none. They're the only brand I'll buy sight unseen and be confident I'm getting a good guitar -- no way I'd do that that with most brands!

9. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Sweet! Love both the 290 and CL! I think the Throbaks in the CL is the way to go!
    Pics?

10. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Here is a clip of my Jazz trio, I am playing my Collings Soco with a spruce top here, great guitar!

11. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Just came back from the NAMM show where me and guitarist Josh Smith did a performance in the Collings booth. I am playing a 290 with a CC pickup and he is playing the new Eastside Jazz lc(also with a CC pickup)

12. mandocaster

mandocaster Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Jul 2, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I'm buying this lovely SOCO deluxe from a friend. It has made itself at home in my house. He bought it from a dealer used a year or two ago, and is selling it to thin his herd. He mostly favors vintage stuff.

The headstock inlay is a little different from what I've seen on the web. I wonder if someone recognizes this particular guitar.

Anyway, lucky me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. LowPassFilter

LowPassFilter TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2015
    The South
    You might try the Collings Facebook group, lots of owners on there that are knowledgeable about the brand.

14. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago

Yes indeed! That is a very nice guitar congrats!

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It's a lot of fun to look at the new models, what others have, and the playing.

Thanks for the NAMM show update and that custom deluxe. The Collings forum maybe, and Collings for sure (serial #) could tell more about that custom.

The thing is, I'm set for life. I'm a hobbyist player and feel I have it all covered about as good as can be with a Telecaster, SoCo 16, and a really sweet 14 fret OM acoustic. I love the Collings C10 and slope style dreads but my 14 fret OM (OMS in Santa Cruz lingo) is super versatile and a truly amazing guitar. It seems wrong to do anything but play it. I supposed there's an argument for my not having anything Stratocaster style but my two electrics cover a great range and I feel that same anti-GAS or play it and make them mine thing I have with my acoustic.

Keep showing all that nice stuff!

16. alphasports

alphasports TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Montreal CAN
    A couple of years ago I sold my 0002H, then it was followed out the door by my D2HVNSB. Loved them both but was ready for electrics. Since then I've picked up 3 fabulous PRS core USA models and a quite spectacular Martin HD28V that just spoke to me the way my D2H never did. Missed the Collings though, especially the 000. So......

Happy to report I just bought a spectacular City Limits Deluxe, the one Collings built for the 2011 NAMM show: quilted maple, tiger eye sunburst, madagascar board, parallelogram inlays. Where are the pics? It's currently in transit to me, and as a complete twist of fate I bought it from the same guy who bought and still owns my 0002H!

Pics to follow when it arrives. Great vids Jostein :)

17. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Hey, real nice guitar! I think I saw it over at the Collings forum. I think somebody gave you some info there? The easiest way is to check the serial number on the sticker inside the f-hole. I have a 2008 soco, the 34th ever made. Yours looks like an early one, maybe even earlier. The headstock inlay is more common on the CL Jazz. As I recall, the big flared headstock came as standard on all the soco's when they came out in 2007. Now it is an option and most of them(like the two I have) come with the smaller headstock. If you email Collings they would be able to get you more info. Enjoy the guitar! The soco's are one of the best models Collings ever made, perhaps the best IMO.

18. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    I hear ya! I have a custom shop strat, but I never play it, especially after getting the Collings 360st, which is a three singlecoil guitar. That guitar covers strat sounds, tele sounds and even a gibson p90'ish type of sound. I have the C10 with a cutaway, short scale, I 3/4 nut, sitka spruce, mahogany back. It has the LR Baggs anthem pickup system. Absolutely fantastic guitar.
    The SOCO 16 lc is great.

19. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    Hi thanks! Would love to see pics of the CL deluxe when it arrives. That is model that I don't own but would like to get at some point. The I-35lc is also on my list and the new Eastside Jazz(like the one I had as a loaner for a little while) and definitely the CL jazz.

20. alphasports

alphasports TDPRI Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Montreal CAN
    Here's the new CL Deluxe...really pleased :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.