Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

College Football 2017-18

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Nope.

2. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    Cal over Ole Miss last Saturday at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley, now 3-0. Defense looking better than under prior regime. Bears face SC - and that obnoxious band - next Saturday at Memorial.

San Diego State Aztecs over No. 19 Stanford Cardinal - beating AZ State in Tempe last week the Aztecs are 2-0 v. PAC 12 schools.

Fresno State Bulldogs (my wife's alma mater) two consecutive road losses against UW Huskies and Alabama, next is 0-3 Nevada Wolfpack. Painful learning experiences - but with new coach Tedford things will improve. We see Hawai'i Warriors v. the Bulldogs at Aloha Stadium in November. Looking forward to that.

We follow Pac 12 and Mountain West in our house.

xland and teletimetx like this.

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

4. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I know this is late to the party, my parents were at that Cubs game and were surrounded by Georgia fans. They said they didn't pay attention to the game and were doing college football cheers. They were gone by the 7th inning. They were everywhere in Wrigley though.

My parents went to Illinois but I never really got attached to that school. I've basically adopted Northwestern football and have always followed the big ten.

There are the obvious teams in that division like OSU, Michigan, Penn State. I'm interested to see who else can make noise. Minnesota will be good, Wisconsin is always tough. I think Michigan State will get buried in that division. We'll see about Maryland. Should be interesting.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    UCLA Bruins fan here. If we had any linebackers we would be a darn good team this year. I'm used to the heartbreak but still. Love CFB so much, but I don't pay too much attention to non-Pac12 teams, it's enough just to follow my team and conference and catch some highlights.

6. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Former coach and AD Vince Dooley threw out the first pitch at one of the games that weekend, I believe it was on a Friday night.

There's nothing finer in the land than a drunk, obnoxious Georgia fan!

7. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    They wear it on their sleeve! When they have a shirt on that is:D

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Unless it's a drunk, obnoxious Florida fan!
    Unless it's a drunk, obnoxious Alabama fan!

9. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Well, it is almost time for Bammer at Vandy. CBS picked it up for the primetime 3:30 slot. Are going to Nashville to watch it? I'd wager that there will be more Bammer people there than Vandy people.

Georgia is going to have its hands full hosting Miss. State.

Grux likes this.

10. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    No wish I could go but tickets were $200. The wife and I have tickets for Vandy vs Western in November though

11. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Barring a meltdown, KY might just send the Gators packing.

21-14 KY in the 3rd quarter.

12. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Well, it was an interesting day in college ball. Kentucky allowed that game to run down its leg by making the same mistake twice that led to the same uncovered receiver putting points on the board. I wanted Kentucky to win badly.

Earlier this week:

Press: Coach Saban, did you know that for the first time in history Vanderbilt's defense is better statistically than Alabama's defense?

Saturday Evening:

Coach Saban: Alabama 59-Vandy 0.

Georgia put a good whipping on Miss. State. I am not getting all carried away just yet because they have barely started SEC play and it is still a long time to the bye week to get some rest. I've been down this road many times. But I can say that this is the first UGA team that I have seen in years get progressively better each week (for the short sample period we have) with no apparent backsliding. Georgia might look good all season and win the east, but then there is the unfortunate prospect of having to play Bammer for it all. But in reality, that is OK. I want Georgia to be a Tier One team, and they need to beat T1 teams to be one or be beaten by T1 teams in benchmark games to teach them where they need to improve.

I would never bet on Oklahoma State in a big game, they are even shakier in match-ups with ranked teams than Georgia.

There was a number of close games yesterday, such as the Penn State-Iowa game.

Wyzsard likes this.

13. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

I curse the Kentucky secondary for committing the same meltdown twice and giving up an eventual 14 points because of it.

14. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Stoops has to go. All they had to do was kick that field goal when they were in range.

An elementary school coach would have kicked that field goal.

15. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    I thought it was a mistake when he kept the offense in there to run that play. But I defer to him on the basis that he is at practice every day, and he was concerned about his kicker's range. I did not understand a lot of the play calling leading up to there either, I'd expect to see multiple receivers running multiple routes in the 10-25 yard range to get into FG range.

Has anyone said how many yards short the kick was? I have only seen a head on shot, not one from the side.

16. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

About eight feet short according to the radio announcer. Of course he was just guessing.

17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Who would you recommend they get? At Kentucky. A basketball school.

I agree with you on that FG, and it's a shame they lost, but I think the Wildcats are pretty luck to have Stoops.

18. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Who would I recommend ?

Anyone else with any recruiting capabilities whatsoever. Anyone but that idiot.

Seriously, he's gone. Every single Kentucky fan I've talked to want him out yesterday.

Kentucky fans are realistic and know that we are in the toughest conference in football. I don't think any Kentucky fan has any illusion will ever play for the national championship in our lifetime.

But Stoops has got to go. He would have been gone after last year if he hadn't caught Louisville in meltdown mode and beat them.

19. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    This is a bad sign, Finebaum and others in the national media are starting to jump on the Georgia bandwagon. The polls have UGA up in the 7 and 8 positions, but I'd be satisfied if they were just outside the Top 10 and felt jilted. I don't want them to read their press and believe the hype, I want them to play with urgency. They play UT in Knoxville this weekend, and it will be the CBS national broadcast at 3:30. UGA has blown games in Knox way too many times to inferior teams.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/georgia-football/paul-finebaum-week-4-love-georgia/

20. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.