Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

College Football 2017-18

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitarzan, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    I do not recall seeing a thread on the new season of college football.

Bammer whooped FSU the opening weekend, which is funny in light of Jimbo Fisher's and the school presidents comments about the ACC being better than the SEC and that FSU would win by a good margin.

The TAMU collapse against UCLA made it a heck of a second half. West Virginia and Va. Tech made for a good game the same night.

Ga. Tech and Tennessee took it to double overtime and kept a lot of people up late on Labor Day. UT did not play that well on the whole and GT seemed to deserve to win, but only the final score matters and deserve has nothing to do with it.

Oklahoma smacked an overrated Ohio State in the mouth at home. Is the curse of Big Game Bob over now that he is an observer?

Georgia went to Notre Dame with a true freshman QB getting his first start and beat the Irish in a close, sloppy one. Both teams are mediocre and neither is likely to be better than 9-3 in the regular season. The interesting and humorous part of the game is that Georgia fans packed South Bend and Chicago over the weekend (Chicago for the Cubs on Friday and Falcons-Bears on Sunday), and bought up half the tickets to the game. The ND fans are ticked that UGA fans essentially took away the home field advantage by traveling so well. Reading their bulletin boards has been enjoyable, and I take pleasure in their pain.

2. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Best game I saw was my Alma mater University of Iowa come from behind to take the cylcones of Ia. State. Sweet, sweet victory.

Of course I live in SEC land so it's Bama, bama, Bama, tiring.

Grux likes this.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    The Ohio State loss might make the Big 10 a little more interesting this year. Michigan looks good and really, the top 4 in both the East and West Division are going to be tough to beat. Maryland looked good against the Longhorns.

Johnson johnson likes this.

4. DonM

DonM Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    Watch out for Penn State this year in the Big 10.

teletimetx likes this.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Maybe Mi and MI state and Wi might be in mix

teletimetx likes this.

6. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2006
    USC beat down Stanford!!!!

7. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    The more interesting games this weekend appear to be:

Tenn. v. Florida

Louisville v. ClemPson

Miami v. FSU

And maybe Colorado State v. Bammer just to see if and outlier like that with a former SEC coach that could not beat UA can make a showing.

The scheduling of games this season so far has been problematic, all the good ones are on at roughly the same time at night.

8. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    I also live in SEC land and thats tough for a Vandy fan! We looking good this year though, ready to see what we got in the tank vs kansas st. this week!

9. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Grux likes this.

10. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Mar 9, 2016
    Oshkosh, B'gosh

11. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    It's way too early in the season to know what's up. I don't think anyone could have predicted OU's destruction of the Buckeyes. SC may be good but I generally disregard the west coast teams. Not sold on Michigan but Penn State may be really good. With Francois's loss I am not sure FSU can recover. The ACC is Clemson's to lose. Doubt anyone will challenge Bama but I doubt they will go undefeated this year.
    So many big programs could be looking for new coaches after this season. ND is probably at the top of the list but are they really a big program anymore?

12. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Yeah, the Nittany Lions seem to be poised for a another huge season. I love to watch Sequon Barkley run. Man is he tough!

DonM likes this.

13. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    Vandy beats #18! Man, I know Bama is the toughest game of all games but I hope we make it close. Our defense is legit, florida, georgia, and UT do not scare me.

14. Guitarzan

Feb 28, 2006
    Hotlanta, GA
    Yep, old Vandy came through. It is hard to prognosticate the SEC East this year, because no one seems to have a great offense but several teams have good to great defensive squads. I thought S. Carolina was progressing faster than most others and had a QB, but they got knocked off by Kentucky. The UF-UT game was pretty lame until the 4th quarter with generally bad defense, and it took a miracle play at the end for someone to win it. Neither of those teams presently look like they would be competitive against Bammer in an SEC CG. It would be wild if the race in the East came down to Vandy and Kentucky, because looking at UT, UF, USCe, Mizzourah, and UGA, I do not see a world beater and definite contender.

Miss. State whooped LSU badly, and they are still trying to tune in the de-mumblifier so that Orgeron can try to explain why they lost so badly when they were heavily favored. The bad news is that MSU is coming to Athens to play Georgia this Saturday night, and UGA is just "OK", like a 9-3 or 10-2 team at best. No one anticipated back in pre-season that MSU would be a hard game and potential loss, but that is the reality.

UCLA lost to Memphis with a Heisman candidate QB that led a miracle comeback against TAMU. That cannot help his Heisman run, but at least it happened early if it were to happen.

Little Mercer U. of Macon, GA challenged Auburn for most of the game, and AU has serious issues on offense. Some were smoking hopium and picking Auburn to win the west, as if last year's record did not exist and there was some miracle catalyst that was going to take them from a 5 loss season to first in the west and the SEC CG.

It has been an entertaining season so far.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Grux likes this.

15. teletimetx

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Some random thoughts, because that's the way I roll....lotta lopsided creampuff tests this weekend, as is the custom, and maybe a few surprises.

Texas came surprisingly close to USC. It might just be me, but maybe the sense of how traditionally overrated Texas gets is the sense that, hey, they put up a better fight against USC than expected. Ok, it did go into double overtime. Still looks like an "L" to me.

Oklahoma State also looked good, but they've been capable of looking good a lot, but not finishing the job. I guess I would have rather seen Oklahoma State vs. Penn State, but maybe that could happen in a bowl game.

University of Houston beat the Owls. Here, hold my beer.

same with the Colorado Buffaloes beating up on Northern Colorado. Hey, didn't the bears make it closer than expected? Where's their top 25 rating? Same with Univ. of Wash Huskies taking down Fresno State. Or the Bulldog bowl (UGA vs. Samford?).

Hope the Aggies enjoyed their time with the Ragin' Cajuns, 'cuz it's gonna be a little rougher sledding from here on out.

I watched a little bit of the Michigan game; step daughter is a recent grad, and I've always kind of liked the wolverines. I wish them well, but they also have a tough road ahead...and for no particular reason, it's nice to see some teams besides Notre Dame on regular television - I am cableless. Notre Dame comes off a little like the Yankees or the Dallas Milkboys - lotsa folks seem to jump on the bandwagon?

I'm basically a Colorado Buffaloes fan; that's where I come from and obviously, it's not because they have many years as an absolute powerhouse. It's not Alabama.

16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    As much as it pains me to say it, LSU is seriously in trouble. Virtually no depth in the offensive and defensive lines, inexperienced relying on too many freshman and Matt Canada is "all hat and no cattle" as an offensive coordinator.
    The Tigers are paying the price for keeping Les Miles around too long.
    Oh yeah, props to Mississippi State. They are better than people think.

17. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    Up to 13

Attached Files:

• VT.gif
      VT.gif
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    Grux and teletimetx like this.

18. teletimetx

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    - didn't know you were a Hokie!

My wife's family is from Virginia, so FIL is a Hokie (double E type) - but it took me awhile to sort out that Hokie has nothing to do with the Turkey...

anyway, glad to see them doing well, even if I don't really follow them.

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    I didn't go there but my daughter did, she played lacrosse at VT during the Vick era. I started following the football team then too. It's crazy there during foootball season. There are old men in maroon blazers everywhere.

My wife and I went to NDSU, the mighty Bison!

20. teletimetx

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Giants in the Earth!

I can't fault any team that uses a bison as a mascot...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.