Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Coiled cables?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by gitold, Dec 6, 2018.

Do you like coiled cables

1. Love em

24 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. Hate em

20 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. Indifferent

29 vote(s)
    39.7%
  1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Vox coilies outweigh my Lavas, big time. FYI, imho

2. Salsg

Salsg Tele-Meister

Apr 12, 2018
    SoCal
    They are good and sound good.

Those that get these tangled up must be the same ones that lose the battery covers to their pedals

DrBGood, RodeoTex and jhundt like this.
  3. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I haven't owned one since the '60's but I really like the idea of them. Since I sit when I play, it might just work for me.

kuvash and gitold like this.
  4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Ehhh..... No!

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 23, 2003
    Netherlands
    that's what we had back then. Me and my brother used them... so did Jimi Hendrix and Cream and the Beatles. I was quite happy when the came back on the market, because they are pretty handy in a small and cluttered music room. They retract nicely and sit right on (or near) the amp, so you don't have to wind them up and put them away every time yo switch to a a different amp.

gitold likes this.
  6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I use them to balance my Firebird Zeros...I bought 2 Ernie Balls..the best ones they have. Love Em '

7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

coily cords increase the signal capacitance which makes the tone muddy. Some like to take the 'ice pick' off and these can do that. I like to just use the tone knob on the guitar if I need to do that.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I like a little "fight" from my strings and setup but it ends with having a tug-o-war with my cable. :p :D

kuvash likes this.
  9. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    I had one for several years that Albert king left behind when we opened for him one night. Definitely cut down the highs a bit. Wish I still had it!

10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I have the Vox coiled cable in white. I got it because it looks cool, not for any of the absurdities (lower or higher capacitance or whatever, increased treble, decreased treble, blah blah blah...) that some people are 100% certain these cables provide. My Vox cable never snapped, crackled, or popped. It's heavy, though.

RodeoTex likes this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I bought a Vox coily cable last time there was a thread about them.
    Didn't care much either way.

12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    They have relatively high capacitance. 'Tone suck'

13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    We're certain because the differences are measurable. You can take a 20 foot cable that builds 11pF/ft for a 220pF cable. Or you can take a 20 foot coily cable that builds 38pF a foot for a 760pF cable. The difference only gets greater as you increase cable length. That's definitely audible with passive pickups, IME.

buy a cheap multimeter that measures capacitance, and you can see for yourself.

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Hardly ever used them even back in the 70s. They have a habit of coiling with themselves. Also, a cord over 22' can affect (increase) the resistance minimally and affect the tone slightly.

15. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2015
    Sutton QC, CANADA
    DON'T ever use them if you have these kind of amps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FenderGyrl and Asmith like this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  17. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I have two: a Fender Koily from a few years back which I really like, except that I think it's cutting out on me now, and a Vox which seems more reliable but is heavy as hell. I wanna like them, but...

18. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    I only have one. I think they look cool; the retro factor and all of that. But they are a nuisance to use - a straight cable is so much easier to deal with.

19. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's

Folks,
    Einstein's Theory of Relativity explains that space and time are interwoven and that to travel the vast distances in space we will need to "Fold or Bend space " to travel light years and make years seem like days and hours like seconds.
    Therefore a coiled cable is six feet long coiled, 12 feet long uncoiled. Therefore I put fourth that a coiled un-stretched chord helps you sound faster.

FenderGyrl likes this.
  20. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Wilko Johnson has always used a red coiled cable with his Telecaster;

Here back in the 70's;

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...age-at-hammersmith-palais-news-photo/84849481

and here a couple of years ago:

https://www.google.com/search?q=wil...AUIDygC&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=_eQQDyTdfM-0-M:

I have a couple myself dating back to the 70's. I never found that a cable would tangle so long as I kept it away from other cables. Once it interacted with another coiled cable you knew that you were about to lose five minutes of your life.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.