Coffee, so what is your favorite brew??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Shuster, Feb 6, 2019.

1. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I have a Cuisinart machine that grinds and brews on a timer. The grinder makes such a racket that an alarm clock is not necessary unless you live in a much larger house than mine.

So I wake up from a deep sleep not to the smell of coffee, but to "OMG THERE'S A CHAINSAW-WIELDING MANIAC DOWNSTAIRS!"

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

After staying in Naples for a while I can now only drink espresso shots.Everything else tastes too weak and light or too bitter and heavy .

I use the Nespresso machine at home and various cheap off brand or PL pods (the original nespresso pods are terribly expensive) , they are more than decent.

Since,like all Greeks,I drink my coffe COLD from April-October (come to think about it most Greeks drink their coffee cold all year round),I make my own version of FREDDO by puting small whisky glasses in the freezer,half filled with water,and than directly pouring the hot espresso shot in the glass.

In a pinch I always revert to our national drink ,the preparation of said drink is beautifully explained in the video :lol:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  3. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit TDPRI Member

I just drink Folgers Colombian. I warn you if you use coffee that's ground for a drip brewer, the bottom of the coffee you press will have fine grounds in it. I dont mind it myself. It just a little fiber.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit TDPRI Member

If you dont want find sediment (grounds) @ the bottom, use a course grind. I just use Folgers because I dont mind the “mutha” @ the bottom.

LutherBurger likes this.
  5. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Holic

Yes I had a shady supplier: Torrefazione was ultimately relegated to a restaurant brand and good friend was a restaurant manager and that was my hookup for a long time.

Brazzia family opened a new shop: https://caffeumbria.com/

They are the ones that did Torrefazione. It's great coffee. Give it a go, you will be surprised

6. Kebmel

Kebmel Tele-Afflicted

My daily brew: Only thing I drink
    [​IMG]

7. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

I roast my own coffee; buy them green from Sweet Marias online. $6-$7 per pound. Prefer Guatemala, Honduras, Columbian, and Ethiopian origins. Once you taste home roasted coffee and see that incredible bloom during pour-over, you will be hooked.

Dunnigan likes this.
  8. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

about 10 or 12 years ago, I had a coffee habit, a bad one. To make a long story short, one day I ran out of both coffee and money. I'd done caffeine withdrawals before, and came through alive even though it sucked, but this time was different. This time, I got a headache that would kill a horse (good thing I'm not a horse... BA-DUM PISH!), and I vowed to wean myself off it. I couldn't give it up entirely, so I switched to Decaf. Go ahead and try to find
    Yep, I tracked them down as soon as I heard wind of it, but $14 for a 12-ounce bag as a bit too rich for me. I'll save asking after that one for special occasions, like Father's Day or something. Torrefazione was always a few bucks above the regular stuff, but I didn't mind the quality tax. Asking twice the price of regular means it won't be my daily cuppa unless I win the lottery or something...

frankg11 likes this.
  9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Where do you live that you have to buy water in bottles? My ocean trips away from resort areas and river trips are making me hate those things more and more.

My favorite brews are a local roaster’s Costa Rica beans, and the across town brewer’s unpasteurized ales. If possible, I substitute those with similar items when I travel.

10. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Community Dark Roast

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

imwjl likes this.
  12. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Dunkin

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think of myself as all that picky. Been drinking coffee since I was in Boy Scouts, making it over an open fire, strong, black and with some grounds in the cup to chew on for good measure.

There was the time that I lived in Papua New Guinea 30+ years ago, where I enjoyed coffee grown in the Highlands of PNG on a daily basis. Not long after returning to Texas, I found a local source for buying fresh roasted coffee beans grown in Goroka, Eastern Highland Province of PNG. Haven't had that source for a half dozen years or so now. :(

These days, my wife just buys medium roast 100% Arabica whole beans from our grocery store, and that's what we do day in and day out now.

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

fatcat likes this.
  15. Dunnigan

Dunnigan Tele-Meister

I’m a home roaster as well. Sweet Maria’s is my source. Most store bought beans start to taste stale before I can finish them.

16. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Holic

Jacob's Kronung

17. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

There's a nice shop near Spitalfields market, in London, that sells all manner of teas. I like Darjeeling but I'm also partial to Earl Grey.

Tony474 likes this.
  18. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

IMG_20190209_142956145.jpg

A french press full of this will do nicely. Its cheap too.

19. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I only like what I make at home. Ad cinnamon to the grind. Hal & half ONLY; I despise flavored creamers. I want my coffee to taste like coffee, not some fru fru blend of BS.

The only coffee I can stand buying out is Panera's. Dunkin' used to be good, but it's crap now. Starbux sux.

20. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

A while back, my wife and I had breakfast at an AMAZING place called "Butters" here in Scottsdale. Their restaurant specializes in breakfast and closes after lunch. This place is incredibly successful - they do breakfast foods like no one else and the place is always PACKED.

The coffee I had there completely knocked my socks off!

I've enjoyed good quality coffee for decades (previously liked Peets coffee very much). Anyway, it turns out the coffee they serve is French Roast provided by Passport Coffee, here in Scottsdale (Passport imports, and then does the roasting here).

The coffee was so good, that we drove right over to Passport and bought a pound of whole French Roast beans directly from them. What they sell was roasted no more than a day before.

My personal recipe is now Passport French Roast, dripped through a metal cone, with a little sugar and a bit of half-and-half. Best coffee I've ever had!

Their Swiss Alpine blend (French Roast, Viennese Roast, and Columbian) is also fantastic.

https://www.passportcoffee.com

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.