Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Cocktail Drum Sets are cool - look at this craigslist ad....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Mar 14, 2013.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee

I know this isn't everyone's thing but have you ever seen a cocktail drum set?

There is a floor tom with a bass drum pedal working the bottom tuned lower (for kick drum) and a tiny tom and a snare that mount to the floor tom. You have snare and two toms (you use the top of the floor tom and a tom) and there is a closed hi-hat and a crash ride. The point of it is using brushes or sticks in a cramped corner or a jazz club or orchestra pit.

Cocktail sets are kind of rare.

I think they are cool as hell.

I picture a drummer smacked in the corned of a tiny jazz stage in a bar.

It's really all you need. Kick - tom - snare - crash/ride - hi-hat).

2. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I'd need hats though, but's that's easy enough. Very cool, John.:D
  3. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted

When I saw the Stray Cats back in the day, their drummer used a pretty simple setup too. I do like the cocktail set you've pictured.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dmeeg05

dmeeg05 Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2011
    Dundalk, Ireland
    Just sold one myself. Great kits though... a lot of fun!! I could never getting use standing up playing drums though so I use to bring a high stool to gigs!!
  6. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

First I heard of this.

Why do they call it a cocktail drumset? It looks more like a beer keg.

ROADMAN Poster Extraordinaire

that's a deal....the Mavericks drummer is a believer

8. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Ventura CA
    During the BSO Christmas Extravaganza, the drummer often uses a cocktail kit during the trio portion

9. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    malmö sweden
    Brady Blade used one when i saw him with Buddy Miller, supporting Emmylou.
    I like that sound, but he would sound great on cardboard boxes and pans too. Marvelous drummer.
  10. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I think those are really cool...for a small jazz setting, or even an acoustic performance! I'd snap that up in a heartbeat if it were near me!
  11. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

Jan 22, 2009
    I'm a fan of cocktail kits.

I always thought it would be cool to loop a guitar part, and play a cocktail kit and sing over the loop. I haven't seen anybody do that.

12. RevMike

RevMike Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I had one when I lived in NY, had to sell it because I needed the space. Now in NC, I have the space. I'd LOVE to get another one. They are loads of fun, and the perfect kit for a guitar player to unleash their frustrated drummer alter ego.
  13. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    Jonathan Richman's drummer Tommy Larkins uses one.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.