Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cobain Jaguar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SonicDiveBomb, Sep 17, 2017.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Hey guys, wondering what you think about this jaguar compared to the other jaguars on the fender line. I've had an NOS one since it came out. Those pickups are dirty. That PAF 36th anniversary is especially nice clean. Has anyone gigged this guitar

2. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I like em, and maybe one day I'll have one. I think they have a Super Distortion in the bridge don't they? I'd gig the heck out of it!

3. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Quick bump. Just figured I’d offer my thoughts on it.

I’ve had this guitar for about 5 years. It’s the guitar in my arsenal I’ve owned the longest and there’s a reason for that. It’s undoubtably jaguar. It’s bright, responsive, snappy, and hoopy like your standard jaguar. I believe wholly this is because of the 1meg pots, the scale length, and the “wolf tones” coming from the vibrating strings below the bridge. The vibrato is excellent.
    Here’s the thing. Say I want a jaguar with a humbucker. What’s the first thing I do to mod it? Well... change the bridge of course!! Probably to a mustang bridge. The Cobain Jaguar has a TOM style gotoh bridge. Done.

Humbuckers? Two of them. Good ones at that. I personally prefer the 3 way switch to the jaguar switches. Fender seems to too seemingly, due to the state of the American professional jaguar. The only thing I’m really missing is the passive tone switch, which there’s still a space for and I’m thinking of adding. It still has the rhythm circuit, which I absolutely love due to the slight tonal change from the regular 3 way switch.

Basically, if you want a jaguar with humbuckers I don’t think you can do much better than this one, with the 3 way switch, dimarzios, and added volume knob. The HH’s fender makes are nice. I like the ability to blend coil tap. But I’m planning on doing taps to my cobain. A simple change of pots.

Last thing. I’m undoubtably a nirvana fan. Love their music, but this is not a guitar only for a nirvana fan. I have the NOS one, so no nicks or scratches. I’ve got my own. It doesn’t say Kurt Cobain anywhere on the guitar and it does much more than grunge music. (Kurt actually only ever used the bridge pickup live, his 3 way switch was not connected). So if you’re thinking of grabbing a fender with humbuckers you can’t get much better than the cobain jag.

Made this thread cause I wanted some other opinions but those are my two cents!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.