Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CME Gibson floor models

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by moosie, Dec 4, 2017.

1. voodooblues

voodooblues Friend of Leo's

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    Have you considered taking off the pickguard? Wood that purdy shouldn't be covered up.

fjrabon likes this.

2. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Gettin real jealous an antsy seeing everyone get theirs. Just found out the 58 335 VOS Burst I thought was going to be here Saturday, giving me a 3 day weekend to get acquainted with her, won't get here until the 2nd. But the best news is at least I have a job to go to. Some may know my entire department, management on down, was unceremoniously let go Nov 2nd. Managed to find a new position with better pay on December 15. My old job paid up until the end of December and gave a severance based on years of service...that's why I got the go ahead for a new guitar...still as Tom said "the waiting is the hardest part".

gitold and fjrabon like this.

3. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    The pickguard mostly covers the dark brown, so it’s not obscuring very much wood. I’m a pickguard on always kind of guy.

LPTyler likes this.

4. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    I dig that. It's funny because I'm a pickguard off if possible kind of guy, explains why I made that suggestion. 1514609237634.jpg

ickylick and Southpole like this.

5. LPTyler

LPTyler TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Rock Springs, WY
    That’s a great looking guitar! I agree, pickguard on

fjrabon likes this.

6. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, with yours the darker part of the burst is still translucent. With mine the dark area you can’t see the wood at all.

If I had gotten the lightburst, I’d probably do pickguard off.

7. sigalaboon

sigalaboon TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Oak Park, IL
    I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get an ES-335 in faded light burst. I live in Chicago and will pick it up from the store on January 3rd. Until then here is a nice photo taken from Guitar Center's website. Really didn't need another guitar but... 1514644387011.png

ac15, moosie and LPTyler like this.

8. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Woohoo, UPS tracking said delivery on Jan 2nd, but got a knock on the door at 10:30 this morning and got my ES-335 '58 VOS Burst. Been playing it all day...well between sessions of just staring at it anyway. It is everything I hoped for and more. First off it's just plain beautiful to look at, first big surprise was the size of the neck...it's chunky, big C shape with large shoulders and nicely rolled edges on the unbound fretboard and 1 inch deep at the 12th fret. Kinda took me by surprise when I first held it, but I have large hands with long skinny fingers and all that chunk just sits nice in your palm and makes you feel like your really holding something substantial.

I have a 2014 Les Paul Traditional and really like the sound of its humbuckers and thought these would be similar, but they are different sounding at least to my ears, more open and airy. They are the MHS with asymmetrical windings (from what I understand a few hundred more winds on the slug side) with Alnico 2 in the bridge pup and Alnico 3 in the neck. Basically any kind of tone your looking for is on tap by playing with the tone and volume controls. Everything from Eric Clapton to Wes Montgomery, Larry Carlton to Joe Perry and all points in between. Normally I like 9s for strings even on a Gibson scale, but this came with 10s and I can't believe how smooth and slinky they feel, so I think I'll kep 10s on it.

Overall the finish is pretty much flawless. The only thing I could find is some rough edges on the bottom of the pick guard. I love the VOS finish on the paint and hardware. I have wanted a 335 for about 40 years and this one fills that want in spades. It's a keeper that I hope will be handed down for a long time. Here are the obligatory pics.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    moosie likes this.

9. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Again, it seems like this last batch has been crazy good. Almost everybody from it has just been floored by their guitars.

I’m so tempted by one of these 58 VOS. I’m totally in love with my flame top tobacco burst slim kneck, but part of me looks at my bank account and think “well, I could afford two sunburst 335s, right? LOL.

Think I’m going to resist, but it’s hard.

10. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Well I could be a good guy and say resist, but if one is this good, then two should be twice as "gooder"...go for it, you know you want to. :):)o_O:lol:

11. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I've been sitting uncomfortably on my hands these last few days. The one that floats my boat is the '59 VOS. Need that neck binding, apparently :lol:.

I have '59 VOS 175 and 330, and they're spectacular. Necks are identical (even four years apart). Big round Cs, something like .98 x 1.03.

I can't see holding on to two 335s, though, and my 2012 ... I just can't seem to part with it. Every time I think about it... just NO.

I can't wait until Gibson raises prices. :rolleyes:

12. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I replaced the titanium saddles with nickel plated brass in ES-335. Philadelphia Luthier Tools has the correct saddles. They warmed up the tone and took some of the plinkyness away.

http://www.philadelphialuthiertools...d-abr-1-brass-string-saddles-set-of-6-nickel/

13. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I'm happy and sad to say that the lp bass that would closely match the guitar has sold.

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I tried some from a plated ABR from an actual 335 (I replaced that bridge long ago, and it was sitting in a drawer). Felt like the plating was too thick, but it otherwise would have fit. I wonder if the Philly ones are just plated a bit more ... precisely.

Anyway, glad they fit. I may be in the market. My son likes the 335 so far, but I also scored a 275 on the last day of the 15% off sale. Note to self: don't let anyone dangle a full hollow Gibson archtop in front of me for only $1500. It arrives later this week, I guess, and it's going to have those same saddles.

15. voodooblues

Sep 12, 2012
    Berwyn, Il
    As much as I really like this thread I'm equally as frustrated that I don't have the disposable income to participate. This is a can't miss sale.

moosie likes this.

16. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains TDPRI Member

May 10, 2014
    Monterrey
    I couldn't resist guys, in fact it's all your fault! :D

I really really didn't need another Gibson, I've just had got myself a beautiful LP Goldtop Tribute... Well here it is! Its a ES335 2017 figured. Its an amazing instrument, the neck is like the typical early 60's profile with fantastic rolled edges, the whole thing have an stunning figured/curly maple that is alive when you look it specially at 45° and more important, it sings! The thing just vibrate and its veeeery loud acoustically, I had some semis before but this is different I think its a keeper.
    DSC09377.jpg
    DSC09346.jpg

Attached Files:

LPTyler and red57strat like this.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Very nice! So sorry about the thread... :lol: I started it, and kinda shot my own foot off, too. Twice. :rolleyes:

18. sigalaboon

sigalaboon TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Oak Park, IL
    So I picked it up tonight from the store. No chance to take photos yet but will try to do so in the next few days. As I need to put my daughters to sleep I will be brief for now. Mine also is quite loud unplugged and you can feel the entire guitar vibrating while playing. I didn't plug in for about 30 minutes as I wanted to hear the guitar by itself. I had to keep the volume down while plugged so I will wait to comment further but it sounds great at low volume through blackface Fender.

This was an amazing deal and I highly urge others to jump on it as these are not factory seconds. The guy at CME told me they purchased 10,000 guitars in total from Gibson and it was the largest single order by a dealer. I didn't ask what they still have in stock as I was afraid I would want to buy a second guitar when I wasn't planning on this one. He said they acquired a new warehouse next to their current one to take control of the stock. Amazing deals! I am so happy I didn't over think it and talk some sense into myself!

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That's incredible.

This does not bode well for Gibson. They're stealing sales from future years, today.

And CME/Reverb is going to wind up the Amazon of gear. No competition.

I wish I had an extra $10k lying around.

Piggy Stu likes this.

20. sigalaboon

sigalaboon TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Oak Park, IL
    Yes, definitely concerning. I would like to understand the full scope of this a little better. How much does the acquisition by CME represent of total production for the periods covered by the stock? If it is 5 percent then perhaps not as alarming. If it is 25 or 30 percent then it could carry a different meaning. I haven't looked at annual production numbers for Gibson but now I am curious.

I think CME may sell some of their stock to retailers that cannot meet the specific demands from Gibson to carry the product line. As they aren't sold as new guitars it might be a work around. This is some speculation on my part but also drawn from a conversation while picking up the guitar. All that I really know is I don't have enough information to draw any real conclusion. It's stunning that there would be this much inventory sitting in a warehouse.

Whatever the situation, it made for a guitar put at a price that was extremely attractive and difficult to walk away from. I paid $1,500 for a new ES-175 in 1989 and today paid roughly the same amount for an ES-335. Inflation would almost have doubled the cost.

Most importantly the guitar plays and sounds great. Here are very crappy cell phone pics with bad lighting. 1514956853959.jpg 1514956867621.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.