Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CME Gibson floor models

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by moosie, Dec 4, 2017.

1. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I believe it's a Memphis ES275 in cherry. Retail is about $3450 via Wildwood.

EDIT: I see he already posted it.

moosie likes this.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I already have one, and it's my #1. No need for another. The one I'm giving is going close to home anyway.

3. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I'm thinking 339 but it's going to have to wait until after the first of the year sometime. Hopefully there will still be some left

4. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    Being (mostly) an acoustic player, I find my recently purchased ES-335 to be amazing. Every day brings a new discovery.
    Since I really prefer to only keep the one electric guitar, I might actually consider selling my 8502 Tele. Never thought I’d hear myself admit it...

5. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Awesome news. That's the exact guitar I have that needs covers. I'm ordering them now

6. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    A little birdie told me that the reason they all went out like this is because Gibson is closing the Memphis plant and the entire building has to be cleared out. I suspect the production will move to the main Nashville facility.

It makes sense - why on earth would you put a manufacturing facility on Beale St? That huge building smack in the middle of the tourist district had to have cost a small fortune! That was another one of Henry's hair brained ideas.

moosie likes this.

7. PearlJamNoCode

PearlJamNoCode TDPRI Member

May 26, 2017
    Philadelphia
    It obviously wasn't a good idea, but Henry (and I would assume most of the corporate leadership) views Gibson as a BRAND, rather than a manufacturer. My guess is that they plopped that where they did the same reason there's M&Ms and a Toys R Us stores in Times Square, to raise the profile of the brand.

Piggy Stu likes this.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    But M&M and Toys R Us don't manufacture in Times Square.

I think a Gibson flagship showroom would be awesome on that Beale St location. Taking up about a tenth of the premium-priced square footage.

I watch Henry's actions, and the resulting product that keeps pumping out, with amazement how the two can be related. Sure, Henry's had big flops, but so far, the Historics are generally stellar. Gibson the manufacturer, with their storied history and ability to produce so many near replicas of great guitars.... has a maniac at the helm. Reminds me of something else... o_O

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

9. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Well, it's arrived. Brand spanking new, nothing floor model about it. Shipped in the original gibson box. Clearly they broke the seal, inspected, dumped a bit of CME literature in there, and closed it back up. One of the better packing jobs I've seen, except their use of bubble wrap around the headstock always worries me. I'm very glad they don't leave the headstock floating and susceptible to whiplash, but if left on a bit too long, that plastic will eat it's pattern into the nitro. That would suck.

I haven't done anything with it yet except a few pics and removing the pickguard plastic. Can you tell which is which? The new one is the block inlay with Grovers. The other is my 2012 dot neck. The dot weighs 8.6 lbs, about average. This one immediately feels heavier. I didn't weigh it yet, but it'll clock in around 9 lbs, on the heavy side.

20171207_225434.jpg

They've changed the neck volute slightly. I don't care for it as much, but it's obviously designed to be harder to snap. I'm not going to test it. The dot has 57 Classics, and the block has Burstbuckers. I had those in a Les Paul once. I really, really like the 57s in the 335, so it'll be interesting to A/B these.

They're painting the insides black now! For some reason I don't care for it. Don't like change, ya say? :lol: I'm just so used to seeing the wood inside... not a bunch of spray paint.

I see they've changed the tailpiece posts to accept ... an allen? Haven't looked closely yet. Sorry, people will still chew 'em up, just a different way.

I don't see any issues. I still need to put it under the lights...

20171207_225705.jpg 20171207_225951.jpg 20171207_230005.jpg 20171207_230030.jpg

zumzool and Peckhammer like this.

10. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Looks great!

My replacement comes tomorrow. It is not painted inside, has MHS pickups. Looking forward to getting it. I do wish they bound the f-holes on these guitars.

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Not painted? Remind me what yours is again? 330 VOS? Oh, 335 VOS, right? I do remember it was a historic VOS, with the MHS pups. Nice, nice, nice.

I really don't like change. I'm so used to seeing no f-hole binding, that when I see it on other guitars, it looks strange. I think I did take a black sharpie to the edges of my older one, way back, and that helped the cut edge "disappear".

12. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    image.jpg Wow that’s a beauty. I’m loving my ES275. It came with 11 to 52’s and I replaced them with 11 to 49’s. First electric I’ve ever owned where 11 feel right. The MHS pickups are sweet and with a little distortion I can get very controllable feedback. I think I need a 335 like yours. Fit right in with the rest of the family.

moosie likes this.

13. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Some of their deals are crazy, $850 for a Gibson 335 Studio, insane!

14. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Received the replacement. Way, way, way better. Neck profile seems slightly different, as in a little wider but I'll get use to it. Side dot markers are red... seems odd. Otherwise the guitar look fantasic. The finish is even better on this one.

Still no truss rod wrench. Do you get a truss rod wrench with yours?

moosie likes this.

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    No, don't think I ever got one from Gibson. But I'm set:

20171208_202142.jpg

Red side dots? Tortoise? Plain red does seem odd. Yours is a reissue of which year? 63? Maybe they did that for a while...

16. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Gibson ES-335TD VOS 1963 Historic Burst. Feels a little heavier than the first one.

IMG_4973.JPG

I must have a truss rod wrench in there somewhere... ;)

IMG_4956.JPG

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Those look tortoise-y to me... in the pic at least.

You're a funny guy. What the hell do you need a truss rod wrench for? Just something to complain about? :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.