Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CME Gibson floor models

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by moosie, Dec 4, 2017.

1. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Let us know how it turns out.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'm with @Peckhammer that doing this kind of thing can hurt the brand, AND the dealer relationships. Fortunately for players, Gibson has already messed that up royally. Now offering us these guitars for great prices is the least they can do to make up for their stupidity in mismanaging their brand. :D

I, too, have bought open box, B stock, seconds, customer returns, but with knowledge of that fact. From Fender as well as Gibson. These have turned out to be some of my best guitars, for prices that appear ridiculous. Not budget models, either. AV64 in my avatar is one. My 2012 dot Gibby is another - supposedly had a scratch on the tailpiece (which can be replaced, right?). MF knocked $800 off the price, and I never could find that scratch.

@Peckhammer, not to revive the thread, but you were doing a lot of complaining, and setting the bar pretty high, for something sold as a floor model. No? Especially since you could still return / exchange it. Just sayin'.

LeicaBoss likes this.

3. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Congrats on your new guitar! .. I'm unfortunately in Europe, so with the uncertainty of shipping and having to pay VAT on arrival the CME sale isn't tempting.

As I pointed out earlier there have been a ton of threads on the jazzguitar.be forum, with people buying 175s left and right (but also some 335s and Lucilles).

Judging from those treads the good guitar vs. lemon ration seems to be 4 to 1, but probably less as people are more likely to complain over a lemon than celebrate a nice NGD :) (Also every lemon was returned without any fuss from CME it seems, so .. )

Post pics and a review once you get it!!

moosie likes this.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Have a buddy (gitold) who just picked up a hollow body "floor model". It's brand new. CME bought up a bunch of Gibson 2015 and 2016 models and in order to discount them like they do they have to be sold as floor models with a limited warranty.

I played his. It's a gem and he got it for roughly 50% of normal retail.

moosie likes this.

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Well, if this really is just a continuation of the 2016 CME-Gibson-buy, then it'll be great. I got my 175 Historic that summer, at a price I thought I'd never see. Well below the lowest used offer. Brand spankin' new.

I only wish I needed a few more guitars :twisted::lol:

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Could well be moosie. All I know his gitold got his for around $1600 and they're listed at $3200-$3400 elsewhere. Not a mark on it and plays like a jazz box should.

Not exactly my thing but I enjoyed playing it for an hour or so. I wouldn't be too worried about them based on my experience.

moosie likes this.

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'm just glad I'm not trying to sell into the used market right now. They're undercutting those prices, too.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Which hollow? That sounds too cheap for a 175, so a 330?

9. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Both of these were new/old stock floor models at CME.

Special and a JR. Both mint. I shop there often and I always thought that they had such a huge inventory that they occasionally blew out some aging stuff. Gibson does demand that dealers buy a certain volume of guitars. I can see why dealers may have a blow out sale from time to time. Keep 'me moving.

I added the pickup covers to the Special.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jvin248 and moosie like this.

10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    As I understand it .. it is a stock clearance sale for Gibson, so same story as in 2016.

But with regards to more guitars ... The '61 ES-330 has gotten stellar reviews (dunno if they have any left of those tho)

[​IMG]

moosie likes this.

11. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 24, 2012
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Did you solder on the pickup covers or just snap them on?

12. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've never soldered them on and I've never experienced michrophonic noise at all. I've done this to at least a dozen Gibson and Ibanez guitars.

2016 Faded; no noise at all.....

[​IMG]

Gibson covers fit on Gibson pickups so tightly that the entire cover is in contact with the metal base of the pickup. It's like putting 6 pounds of flour in a 5 pound sack. Just sliding them on takes force and it's nerve racking. Put the soldering iron away for this!

13. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    8940008B-C1E8-4615-81A9-0B61C5ED570D.jpeg Here’s my ES275. It was called a demo but it’s brand new $1695. I have 11 Gibson’s and I’ve never had to use their warranty so I’ll take the discount. I called them up ( CME )and they said they just bought a bunch of stock from Gibson. They have to sell them as floor models but they are new.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    moosie and Lobomov like this.

14. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    @Peckhammer, not to revive the thread, but you were doing a lot of complaining, and setting the bar pretty high, for something sold as a floor model. No? Especially since you could still return / exchange it. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

As pointed out above, these are NOS, not a guitar that was handled and played a bunch. The bar was set with the expectation that a guitar costing $4K should be put together correctly if you buy it at a discount price. That said, because of the price and designation as "floor model," I considered keeping it, hence the thread. The more I discussed it, and the more I inspected the guitar, the more stuff I found to be wrong with it. It did become obvious what should happen to resolve it fairly early on, though...

moosie likes this.

15. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    The one floor model I bought from CME was a 2016 LP Special Plus, usually $1299, for $575, NIB. I asked, they said 'floor models' were just NOS. This may not be for every guitar they sell as floor model, but it seems to be the case with many, many Gibsons.

moosie likes this.

16. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

Mar 25, 2009
    Greeley Co.
    See above.

moosie likes this.

17. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 4, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I bought one, a figured red ES-335, in October. It's not a "floor model", or a return, or a second. It's just an overstock. Mine was built in February 2017. It's a great guitar! I've got several great guitars and I've been playing this one almost exclusively since receiving it in late October.

moosie and zumzool like this.

18. stratoblaster

stratoblaster Tele-Meister

Aug 2, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    I took delivery last week of a CME sale ES-Les Paul. They had 15% off coupon black friday that brought it down to $1440 to my door. I am surprised how much I love this guitar because I was skeptical. I thought I wanted a 335 but I was looking at the 63 which was going to be $1995, still a great deal but out of my comfort zone for spending right now. I saw some good things about the ES-LP so I picked one. It sounds and plays great! It's very snappy and lively, great sustain and note blossom. I've had a few LP's and I always struggled with their tone. This sounds how I always wanted an LP to sound.

The only thing I would nit pick is, at an angle I can see some kind of lines in the lacquer. I believe they are sanding marks. If I didn't like it so much I might have sent it back for that. If I had paid the $3k+ normal price, I would not have been happy about that. Otherwise, the fit, (rest of the) finish, play-ability are all solid.

moosie likes this.

19. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    That 61 ES-330 is gorgeous, but probably not for me. I own a VOS 59, and I prefer the chunky neck.

In addition to the 330, I own a 335 and a VOS 175. Even though I find these deals incredibly difficult to resist, I just don't need much more.

But I forgot all about the ES-275... @gitold, that's a beauty! Must resist...

As this one is for someone else, who doesn't own a Gibson yet, I think the 335 is a better all-round choice. (And it's already in the mail anyway.) No feedback, and (compared to the 330) I feel humbuckers cover more ground than P90s.

A real Gibson 335 is something every guitarist should own at some point. Tele, Strat, Les Paul, and 335. And some cargo shorts.

Thanks for all the information, folks. I feel much better with the purchase (indeed, it tipped the scales) knowing I'm not likely buying a real shopworn guitar - with no photos.

I'll post pics when it arrives, of course.

Lobomov likes this.

20. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    you should keep the better 335 for yourself...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.