Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CME Gibson floor models

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by moosie, Dec 4, 2017.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Has anyone bought a Gibson floor model from Chicago Music Exchange these last couple of months? They're blowing them out pretty strong, and I'm tempted to pick up another 335 (XMAS gift). Just wondered how shopworn, etc they tend to be. They aren't offering pictures of the instrument, which bothers me. They still have 30 day returns, but I imagine if I just don't like it, shipping x2 is on me. Could be an expensive test.

2. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Yes, and I encourage you to ask for a recently returned guitar. It's just what you are looking for.

moosie likes this.

3. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

AHHHH, so you did buy a CME Floor model!!

Hahaha, I mean, if I bought a new Epi ES335 pro for $250 and it had a few finish flaws I wouldn't be complaining. I figure that's part of the almost 50% mark off.

In fact, I'm MUCH rather companies sell guitars at steep discounts with minor issues versus literally chucking them at the band saw, it's better for everyone, especially players.

4. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I differ in opinion here, but I get your point. My objection is that I think you risk dilluting your brand. It's can't be good to have folks lamenting your poor build quality.

I work in the industry, and floor models are not always open box. Stores will sometimes pickup stock from a company that can't move all their inventory. Blemished... well that might well be a floor model.

5. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

I get ya on the "diluting" thing but I think for the more serious stuff the warranties still hold. I've, in excitement, twice bought factory seconds (used) from the big G without realizing it, both great guitars though it was hard to tell what the initial issue was when it's already beat up.

6. CodeBlue

CodeBlue Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2006
    Southen Indiana
    The little devil on my left shoulder is whispering - "If we could sell some stuff we could get that ES-175 you've always wanted bwh-ha-ha!"

ac15 likes this.

7. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Yes, I've purchased two CME "floor model" guitars in the last 3 months and a 3rd in the last year.

They're great deals and most of them have not seen the "floor". Every one knows that Gibson is in debt and CME offered to write them one large check for their new old stock and even some new stock. So these guitars are getting shipped to the CME warehouse and then shipped out to people who have ordered them. Most never get put on the floor room. They're listed as used "floor models" so CME can advertise them below MAP and they don't come with the Gibson warranty. It does come with a CME warranty in its place. If you call them directly, they can provide you with an even better price than listed.

There is more discussions on these deals on the Gear page forums. These are my CME guitars.

[​IMG]

dr_tom, rze99, Piggy Stu and 7 others like this.

8. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    Yep, I wondered about the “floor model” concept and called CME. The story about buying all of Gibsons leftover stock - unopened - is true.
    I eventually decided on a 63 RI Historic Burst. It arrived in pristine condition, set up well except for dead strings. No matter.
    I just finished playing and find myself more impressed each time I pick it up.

Lightweight, zero flaws, good setup, great playability. Not much else to say. Buy one while you can.

9. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    I live in Chicago and visit the store on occasion. Didn’t know they sold so many factory seconds. Too bad I’m not in buying mode.

10. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Is that what's really happening here, though? I know Gibson / CME did this a year ago - I bought a warehouse fresh 175 historic from them for dirt cheap. But this go-round feels different. First off, NO pictures of actual instruments. And they're not trickling them into the market like back then. It's a flood. Not sure how many there really are, but it's supposedly all the ones that graced their huge showroom and "Gibson wall". In other words, actual floor models. And very likely returns.

I don't have a big problem with this - at least half my guitars are bought in some form of oddball situation like this. But I've always been able to see detailed photos ahead of time.

I'm probably going to pass, unless they start blowing out R8s. That's the only Gibson I really "need" at this point.

Pretty guitars, BTW.

11. LPTyler

LPTyler TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Rock Springs, WY
    I bought two this year. An SJ-200 and an ES-les Paul. The SJ was perfect, a 2017 purchased early in 2017 the Les Les Paul is a 2015 and is great. There is a small flaw in the binding, but not too bad. This one was about 40 percent of the msrp. I wish I had the cash for another, but I don’t!!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

12. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004

The one I bought last november was 2015. This year it's mostly 2016 and some reports of 2017s as well. I think two things are going on here. 1) Gibson massively overproduced ES guitars in 2016 and 2) Gibson desperately needs the money.

CME is getting shipments in a few installments because they don't have room for all of them at once. And most remain in the warehouse and never reach the store because they're selling them so quickly. One shipment alone is about 45 guitars so taking photos of the actual instrument is just impossible to do. If you call them, they may be able to take a photo of the actual guitar you buy, but I think it depends on the salesperson that you get and whether it's at the warehouse, which it most likely will be.

Post #184 has the latest shipment details... https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...gibson-335s-from-cme-question.1884909/page-10

Some people have reported duds so there is a chance you get one that's been returned. It's your normal crappy Gibson QC. If you call, you can probably ask if the one your getting has been returned. Overall, CME has been taking care of the customers who've had problems.

Peckhammer likes this.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    If I know they're actually just overproduction, warehouse fresh, then I have no problem with the lack of photos. And sure, there are always duds. I've been very lucky in that regard.

14. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    I've been lucky to get good ones too. The ES355 that I got was in the first shipment back in September is the actual cherry gloss ES355 pictured on the site for that model. Before shipping, they called me because they noticed a slight blemish around the f-holes during the inspection. If you look at the photos it's barely noticeable, but they knocked off some additional money from the price.

Also if I was a Gibson dealer, such as Sweetwater, I'd be pretty pissed off since they have to abide by MAP rules.

15. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2015
    New Jersey
    I bought three.

I wasn't even interested in buying another guitar this year.

One is going back just because three is idiotic.

I have to admit all three were virtually perfect. At least unmolested. They have the expected Gibson quality foibles. But all three played beautifully, were properly intonated, had good frets, straight necks, we're set up relatively right. Two still had the plastic covering on the guards.

This is an unbelievable deal. You have to call them to find out what they have coming and may not show in inventory.

PS: ES Les Paul Plain top. No f holes. Wowwwww

moosie and zumzool like this.

16. zumzool

zumzool TDPRI Member

May 3, 2004
    Also, The ES-LES Paul was pre-ordered before the shipment came in and was sent directly in the Gibson box. They just take out the Gibson warranty card and replace it with the CME warranty.

LeicaBoss likes this.

17. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    Gibson has plenty of inventory to dump. If you look at gibson.com it lists stock all the way back through 2014 models. American Musical Supply is another retail source for Gibson's oldies, with occasional models back to 2013.

18. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    OK, done. Just ordered a gloss cherry Memphis block neck 335, for $1600. If it's really essentially new in box, that's a nice price.

ftbtx and Peckhammer like this.

19. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

Wow, congrats, good thing I don't have any money at the moment, lol. That goldtop P90 ES Les Paul w/bigsby looks like Western Swing heaven!

LPTyler likes this.

20. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Well, now I don't have any money, either :D

This guitar isn't for me. I already have one, a 2012 dot neck. Someone close to me *should* be playing one of these, but just doesn't have the resources at the moment. It'll bring me joy to know they're playing it.

I've been thinking of doing this for a while, and these prices sealed the deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.