Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Closet rescue

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Electraglide1911, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Electraglide1911

Electraglide1911 TDPRI Member

Nov 16, 2017
    US
    I have a 2005-ish Affinity Telecaster I've recently pulled back into service. Here's the gag: I like the neck but don't like the thin sound. I bought this marvel of Asian engineering new for a whopping $50 from a store going out of business, so I don't want to put any serious cabbage into it.

To that end, I just ordered a couple of hot rails style pickups from our friends in China for about $10 each. They're 4-conductor jobs, but I have almost zero interest in coil splitting them. If I must, I can replace the pots and coil split anyway, but the knobs would just stay down.

To complicate the issue, I'd like to flop the control plate and have volume, tone, three-way switch from front to back.

Yes, I know this is just painting a turd with another turd. Let's consider it a trial run for a decent partscaster tele to be made this winter.

My question (finally) is can anyone point me to a wiring diagram for such an atrocity? Thank you!

2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    What are you playing through? I don't have one and of course you can be right, but Tele neck pickups aren't typically considered thin, and a lot of it is really at the amp. Once you lose all the highend from the pickup, there's not many ways to compensate.

Wiring the pickups would require knowing what wire does what, so if you know the manufacturer etc, maybe someone can help you with that. The hot wire and ground should directly drop in the current wiring, but then the question is obviously what the other two wires are. There's not an all-encompassing standard, so hopefully you're able to get that information.

3. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    Delaware County, PA
    Here ya go.

The red wiring is the 50's mod which is optional. It's an alternative to using a treble bleed circuit. upload_2017-11-17_5-57-44.jpeg

Pickcity likes this.

4. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    don't sell it short, you might be surprised with potency of your creation

5. Electraglide1911

Nov 16, 2017
    US
    Derek, thanks for the reply. I'm typically playing through the clean channel (with a pedal or three) of a Fender Champion 40. When I A/B the Tele with my Lester or Ibanez, the humbucker guitars sound viscous and creamy, like a saxophone -- just like I enjoy. The tele sounds like a tele -- twangy and thin. All good, I suppose, but I'd truly like to thicken it up. This is a cheap way to give me a feel for how I'd like to build a decent partscaster. For that project, I'd use Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.

6. Electraglide1911

Nov 16, 2017
    US
    Thank you! I can barely spell electronics, but my guess is that for the four-lead pickups, I'd select the two wires which yield about 10k ohms on the meter then wire them per your diagram, capping off the other two. Sound about right?

7. Electraglide1911

Nov 16, 2017
    US
    Thanks for your reply, Cabra. I hope you're right. The neck is so pleasant to play that it'd be great to have a fine-sounding beater guitar I can drag around town without much fear of theft, damage, etc.

8. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    Delaware County, PA
    Sorry, forgot you're using hot rails but yes cap off two of the four wires. Use the wiring diagram that came with the pups to see which wires are which. Hopefully they came with one. Doesn't matter if you're using humbuckers or single coils. I do this for my Teles as I tend to hit the switch while playing and change pickups.

9. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Aug 28, 2010
    Delaware County, PA
    upload_2017-11-18_4-31-26.jpeg
    Don't know what color wires you have but this schematic from SD shows the red and white wires tired together

10. Electraglide1911

Nov 16, 2017
    US
    Thank you, Rockhead. That's very close to how the leads on the neck pickup are colored. The red/white pair yield 5k resistance when tested between either the single black or the green/black pair. The green/black pair and the single black yield 9.5k, so this diagram seems right. I'll just use this information with the reverse control plate diagram when the bridge pickup finally makes it here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.