Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Cleaning up a satin finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by danadig, Aug 24, 2017.

1. danadig

danadig TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Baltimore
    Hey everyone, just bought a used surf green 2007 Highway one FSR Strat with a satin finish on the body. The guitar was roughed up a bit and it might have even been a home finish DIY kinda thing. There's a lot of dirt and grime on the body and it's a bit discolored. Not really worried about the discoloration since it looks kinda cool but I wanna get that heavy grime off.

The problem is, I don't want to use anything that will gloss up the satin finish, I want to keep it satin. Any suggestions? The luthier I took it to for a set up suggested Naptha. Does anyone have experience with this?

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    Yeah, try naphta first or plain Zippo fluid. It's basically the same. There's also a Dunlop formula 65 cleaning fluid.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Grux likes this.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    ^^^ This is step one - it will remove grease, oils, sticker gunk and many pen/ink marks and doesn't hurt any finish (except DIY enamels and unfinished stains or shellac).

After that use any good guitar polish, preferably paste type. As long as you are not overly aggressive and very strong it's unlikely you'll change the gloss.

Don't use anything with ammonia in it - ammonia can stain aluminum and some other metals; it also discolors some finishes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.