Cleaning off "sticky stuff"...Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 23, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

This is a problem with my BOSS ME-70, but not a problem with the multi-fx pedal itself as far as design or functionality, but a problem with what the previous owner did to this unit. So I'm posting here as opposed to in the ME-70 owners thread.

Back before the ME-70 was replaced with the ME-80, I bought the unit years ago as an open box item. The deal came with the BOSS PSA120S 9V/AC power supply, so I've never had to put batteries in mine, probably never will.

The problem, created by the previous owner, is that he stuck something to the underside of the unit. It's been years since I bought it, and I don't remember now exactly what it was that he stuck to the bottom of the unit, or what it looked like. I tried early on to remove it (can't remember what product I used), but the adhesive turned out to be really bad stuff (or good stuff, I guess, for maybe other applications), and it didn't come clean. So here's what it looks like now...
    BOSS ME-70, sticky back.jpg

(BTW, the hair stuck to this stuff is kind of embarrassing, but illustrates what I've said before in TDPRI threads about other gear affected by hair in my home. I have long hair and an equally long beard, my wife has long hair, and we have indoor pets, two cats and a dog. One of us is always shedding. :oops:)

This sticky stuff has made transporting the ME-70 problematic. I don't gig with it; I can count on one hand the number of times I've taken it to a gig. Mostly that's because I'm just not a pedal guy. This is my first and only pedal. (I bought it thinking it might educate me about what was available and how to use it, and that it might be a "gateway" pedal. Didn't happen.) Still, the few times I have transported this unit to a gig, I've put it in a duffle bag I use as a gear bag for speaker cables, instrument cables, my LiveWire Solutions ABY box, etc. And the sticky stuff makes cables and what not stick to it, and leaves them sticky as well.

So I only use it at home, it never goes anywhere, so I haven't had the motivation to do anything about the sticky stuff. But I figure I've procrastinated long enough. My question here is, what chemical/product would you use to clean of a very stubborn adhesive residue? The housing of the ME-70 is a very sturdy metal, so I'm not really worried about damaging the unit. Still, if the product you suggest isn't caustic or noxious, so much the better.

2. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

Naptha, lighter fluid, mineral spirits, WD-40. All work well and won't damage most surfaces. A little on a rag or paper towel and some elbow grease.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

A really sharp razor blade and then some solvents like lighter fluid/naptha

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Naptha is my go to for removing sticky stuff, but that stuff looks like it could be that hot stick glue stuff. If it's was only Velcro glue residue, then naptha should do it. You can get a little tin at the hardware store or get some Ronson lighter fluid, which is pretty much the same thing.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep, Naptha.

Never goo gone.

Never.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Almost all adhesives are easily removed with cooking oil. I use some of the spray on stuff from my wife's kitchen. Spray it on, let it set for a bit, then wipe it off, usually have to wash the area off with a little dish washing soap afterwards to get the oil off, if the oil is a problem.

TwangToInfinity likes this.
  7. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

Why? That is usually my go-to for stickers on jars and such.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Holic

or use a piece of thin plastic, like an old credit card or plastic putty-knife to scrape, if you are worried about using a razor blade.

9. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

When I started my career in the construction industry I spent several years as a customer service rep for home builders. This was and still is the industry standard for that purpose. It's specifically designed to remove adhesive residue without harming the underlying surface.

[​IMG]

Torren61 likes this.
  10. LGOberean

Okay, naptha seems to be the frontrunner thus far of recommendations. Good to know.

And Paul, I hadn't occurred to me, but I think you may be right about the hot glue type of adhesive.

Mike, I too am curious as to why "never Goo Gone." And is that stuff the same as "Goof Off"? That's a product we've used before, but it's been quite a while.

The plastic or putty knife idea's a good one. However, there are no old credit/debit cards lying around here. I've been making my own picks for years...
    Picks personally punched - 3.jpg

...so no old credit/debit card is safe around me. I've even punched out picks from old driver's licenses, mine and my wife's. (In fact, I get a kick out of telling people that I've "punched out my wife's face." :eek::twisted: It's fun to see if they ask for clarification or have a look of consternation, like they're trying to figure out if they should notify the authorities. :twisted::lol:)

nojazzhere and Deeve like this.
  11. LGOberean

Well, while I was typing my replies to other posts, mentioning Goof Off, among other things, Beadhbum posted about Goof Off as if in anticipation of my question. Good to know it's so highly recommended.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

Yes, and someone mentioned "Goo Gone" which I've tried but it didn't seem to be that effective. Weak tea.

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Goo Gone is great for stuff that has no finish like glass or bare metal, but I've used WD40 for 30 years on everything with no issues.

unixfish likes this.
  14. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Isn't goofoff made of hexane?
    (super volatile - fast evap)
    Yes on lighter fluid/naptha.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah , goo gone on glass, bare metal, diamonds , kryptonite - all fine.

Anything else ?

Why take the chance?

Melty melty

With naptha I know that it’s not gonna melt plastic and I’ve seen it be used on very high end Guitar finishes with no ill affects. By my luthier buddy Larry.

unixfish likes this.
  16. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

WD40 is my go to

Cheers,
    Doug

17. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

Undu. I used to work in a frame shop and we frequently had to remove various different sticky residue's from any number of things. This stuff is awesome, you can saturate a paper item with it, pull it off, let it dry and it shows no sign anything ever happened. I've used it to remove any number of price tags, labels, dried up tape, etc and never had it damage anything. It's awesome stuff and I wouldn't be without a bottle of it in my house now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072J9BPMC/?tag=tdpri-20

18. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I tried Goo Gone on my car dashboard to remove sticker residue, BAD move. I've looked at that spot every day for years and it still pisses me off.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Start with the least invasive methods and move up.
    Some adhesives are water based so water or some ammonia-water can remove it. Some are alcohol based so a shot of cheap whiskey or denatured alcohol will do it (Sharpie marker drawings are removed this way). Some are oil based and that's why the WD40/etc solutions work. But the oil or alcohol based adhesive removal chemicals will struggle getting a water-based one off. So start low impact and go up the list from there as you need to. If you can scrape off big chunks with a knife or a card that will reduce the amount of elbow grease needed with the chemicals.

One guitar I got came in a hard case that someone had written all over the face of it with a rattle paint pen. Silver on black. I ended up going to the Goo Gone/Goof Off level and working the paint off just ahead of dissolving the plastic hardshell case surface. When the paint was gone I blended the surface texture of the entire case so everything matched.

The car and train modelers use Testors ELO to remove paint and decals, which can be aggressive like the GG/GO chemicals, but says it's safe for plastics (test in a hidden spot first!). The Hot Wheels video here is kind of interesting to watch, he uses an 'aircraft paint remover', but I included it because he shows the collector prices of these toy cars range from used MIMs to brand new Custom Shop Tele prices (if in mint condition).

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Just stick a sheet of plastic over it all—done!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.