Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Clean Amp Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DougF, Dec 5, 2018.

1. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Dec 3, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    Music Man RD 112 One Hundred.

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Your repair problem really sux! I only spent $150-200 total on mine (used), and haven’t had any problems yet. Maybe I got lucky and the previous owner fixed it before getting rid of it. At that price I really wasn’t expecting stellar build quantity.

I also have the 15, so never had any illusions that it would hang with a drummer. They also offered a 30 watt that should hang a bit better. As I understand it the circuit sacrificed volume for those pristine cleans, and there are mods that will make it louder (and noiser IIRC).

I bought the head version so I never had to deal with any speaker issues. I sure hope you have better luck with amps in the future!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  3. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
  4. LuthRavin

LuthRavin Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 28, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Just as the multitude has expounded...FENDER DELUX REVERB..done ....if your playing over 4-5 on the volume your going to be told to turn down..ask me how I know this..

5. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Whispering Pines, NC
    I have a 1964 Gibson GA-19RVT that is really clean. Nothing but clean; no distortion no matter how hard I try. Reverb and "tremolo" are really nice but no distortion.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    And where exactly does one find a 1964 Gibson amp?

7-11?

Marc Morfei and IMadeYouReadThis like this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    Music Man 130 with a 15" speaker. Mine had a JBL in it. Sounded heavenly with a friend's Gretsch, which is why he bought it from me.

8. Dobronaut

Dobronaut Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I've been getting my best ever clean Telecaster sound by using the acoustic channel on my Boss Katana. I came across it by accident, and now the amp stays on the acoustic channel most of the time. Good for Lap Steel too.

9. Look into Hiwatts. Freakin' loud, dead clean, amazing tone.

EDIT: If you're looking for something solid state and more reasonable, look at Quilter's amps. They are loud and range from dead simple to full-featured and complicated.

Flakey and Henry Mars like this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin
    If you see a hughes n kettner tour reverb, get it. Itll be dead cheap and the quality is great.

11. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    CLEAN......CLEAN......Clean! The Vox MV50 Clean is exactly that @ 1 pound with the footprint of a pedal, 50 watts of power @ 4 ohm load. New technology, the Nutube plays and reacts like a 75 pound tube amp. I'll probably mount mine on the pedalboard I'm building.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    50 opinions and counting. That should tell you something. There is no best amp, clean combo or otherwise. What people can attest to is the best amp FOR THEM. I use a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 on the two very different sounding clean channels. I keep the gain below 12 o'clock and Treble, which is really a gain stage, below 2. There's a great tube amp edge in the sound. I think of it as clean, not polished. That said, there's not much clean head room. Dime the guitar and bring the gain past 2 o'clock and the amp breaks up beautifully without ever needing to switch over to the really high gain channels. So... the Express has the clean sound I want at the volumes where I need it to be clean. Is it the best clean amp? Yes, for me.

Vespa_One and JustABluesGuy like this.
  13. vangoghsear

vangoghsear Tele-Meister

Sep 18, 2014
    NE USA
    I have a Vintage Sound Amp, Classic 22 (handwired Deluxe Clone) that was optimized for clean tones. The good thing is it's quite sensitive to nuanced playing, the bad thing is, it's quite sensitive to nuanced playing. You definitely can't hide behind muffled tones. It's sound is clear and crisp. I have a nice Traynor YCV 40 which has a nice clean tone that is much more forgiving, but not near so crisp and clear.

On the less expensive side, I just bought a Katana 50 and that is dead quiet when set on clean tone. It can do very bright clear tones and both the clean and acoustic channels offer nice cleans with lots of built-in effects possibilities.

Pleasant clean tones can be found in all sorts of amps, depending on what you are looking for.

I hadn't played anything for about 10 years a while back and when I got back into playing I wanted a taste of tube tone, so I got a Behringer hybrid AC112. Behringer reputation aside, I thought for $144 delivered I'd give it a try. I would sit in my practice space and play that amp set on 2 and the cleans at that setting were just so nice I would sit for hours and play. The best way to describe the tone even at that low volume level was "rich". It got me back into playing because I liked the clean tone of that cheap amp so much.

It really depends on how you want to define clean.

JL_LI likes this.
  14. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    You're kidding, right?

Ira7 likes this.
  15. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Depends what you need the amp for. If quality of sound is the priority and ultimate volume less so, then the Carr Rambler is superb (it's still louder clean than a DR). Big, full, warm "3-D" sounds with a lush long-tail reverb and the bonus of a wonderful tremolo circuit. It's an outstanding pedal platform as well. It is hand-made using the best materials and components available and it is very expensive indeed. But to me it's worth it.

From another perspective, the Tech 21 Trademark 60 is capable of providing some very loud and clear clean sounds, with a good measure of adjustability. It's pretty good stock but mine has been improved by a speaker upgrade to a Celestion G12K-100. I've heard tell that the Eminence Wizard also works well in the TM60.

For a nominally 50-watt amp, the Peavey Classic 50 has a very good clean sound and can go extremely loud without breaking up. Normally comes as a 2x12 or 4x10, both of which are fairly heavy, but I have a custom example in a handmade 2x10 pine cabinet and it doesn't weigh too much at all while being of manageable size and still very loud clean.

Seek out also an original '90s Roland BC-60 Blues Cube on the used market. A lovely-sounding amp with great character in its clean sound and abundant giggable clean volume. They are fairly heavy for a 1x12 solid-state amp, though. For that reason I don't gig mine very often, but I love it and won't ever part with it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.