Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Clay or pearl dots for maple neck?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Asmus, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Asmus

Asmus TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Danmark
    Hi!
    I'm slowly starting with my first build and came to think about what dots to use. It's going to be a black telecaster with a flamed one-piece maple neck. For some reason I just don't like the look of black dots, (maybe they look to plastic like, or stand out to clearly on the much brighter neck) and since I hope to get the neck quite tinted I thought that some kind of white dots would be fairly visible. There isn't really any pictures of this on the web (or at least not some I could find), so does anyone have a picture of this? Opinions on this matter is very welcome! And also, would you go for clay dots or pearl dots, or some other kind? Or should I just go with the black dots since they probably will match alright with the black body? :confused:

I think my tele is going to look like the one on the picture :)
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. guitar2005

guitar2005 Tele-Holic

Oct 22, 2010
    Canada, Québec
    Abalone looks killer on Maple:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

Black Pearl.

The shells are a byproduct of black pearl aquaculture.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    To each their own I guess but I hate the Abalone dots on my birds eye figured maple neck.
    like camouflage, way too stealthy. why did they even bother putting them in there.:rolleyes:

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2008
    Maple Ridge, Canada
    The clay dots will probably be hard to see.

7. cap217

cap217 Tele-Holic

Jan 8, 2011
    Cleveland
    I dont know if this is true but some old teles had clay dots on maple boards. I cant confirm this but I wanted to find out to make a period correct build.

8. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    here is a little info

Fingerboard Dots
    Black dots: used on maple fingerboards and made of fiberboard-like material (in the 1950's) or black plastic later.
    White dots: used on rosewood fingerboards (Jazzmaster in 1958, all other models in mid-1959). Till the end of 1964 Fender used "clay" dots as position markers. This material has an off-white opaque color. In very late 1964 all models changed to pearl dot position markers. Side markers remained "clay" until spring 1965 when these too changed to pearl.
    White dot spacing: In 1963, the spacing of the two fingerboard dots at fret twelve changed (the spacing became closer together).

9. Brother Rob

Brother Rob Tele-Holic

Jun 30, 2010
    Detroit
    I'd go with Black. I like abalone in certain situations, but think it looks strange on a maple neck. Not a fan.

My next neck isn't going to have any fingerboard fret markers. I love the clean look without the dots.

10. Asmus

Asmus TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Danmark
    Thank you all! I'm still not sure yet... maybe I'll just go with the side dots. Just have to figure out what dots I actually look at when I play:p

11. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    Black! Maybe you could use smaller (blackish) dots?

12. Jim Jones

Jim Jones TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    If you're not hung up on being traditional you could go with rosewood, or whatever dark scrap you have around. I just bought a 1/4" plug cutter from Lee Valley to make dot markers. I'll snap a pic later today.

13. Jim Jones

Jim Jones TDPRI Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Here's the neck I'm currently working on. It's a one piece maple jobbie for a tenor campfire guitar for my brother. I used the plug cutter to cut some dots out of a scrap of rosewood. Ebony would work great, too.

Attached Files:

14. ratter

ratter Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2009
    PA
    Black walnut too...

15. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
  16. coolpool

coolpool Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2012
    NE. Alberta
  17. Asmus

Asmus TDPRI Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Danmark
    That could actually be an option since I have access to both rosewood and ebony:)
    Also black MOP sound nice if I decide do god with the black dots!
    The abalone is also quite nice, I'll probably go with what is easiest to find (acquire?) :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.