Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

CLASSIC VIBE VS BAJA TELE

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alexpapasitoguapo, Mar 12, 2018.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had people tell me "Bubba, you seem to be happy enough, playing this store CV. What's up?" I just get the feeling we get when we're going to too many parties and getting no rest and eating too much of the wrong thing. That is, I can feel my hand sort of breaking down as the thin neck is providing me with no support. Think about how when you were a kid, you could stand on the pavement in your Chuck Taylors all day long, but decades later, you try to do that and your feet will just ache. Aleve, please. So, ask yourself if better footwear as a youngster would've maybe been a better choice. Some people THINK they can play a slim neck now and for decades ahead - I'm skeptical. I think stuff like this catches up with you.

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.
  2. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    I have smallish hands and have found the fatter necks are much more comfortable to play than the thinner necks. It really surprised me a lot. For me the fatter Baja neck is a plus.

3. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2017
    UK
    Pretty much everyone I know who spent enough time with a fat neck to get used to it came to love it - but this might say more about the people I associate with than fat necks

4. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I really like fat necks up to a point. I love them for playing leads and cowboy chords and even various 6ths, 9ths, 7ths around the neck. But past a certain point, I really don't get on with them for barre chords. I found playing barre chords tiring and almost painful on the Baja after a while. To my surprise, I was fine with the skinnier CV neck - wasn't my favorite, but I never had any issues with it. My favorite Fender neck seems to be the Soft-V they use on some strats (Clapton, Vaughan, CP50s, etc). I've also really liked Ibanez and PRS necks that were reasonably chunky, but in more of a D shape than a U shape. I used to think I could predict whether I'd like a neck or not by looking at it's specs. And it turns out I can't - I have to play 'em. I've been really surprised, in both positive and negative directions by how a neck played.

I guess my point is you can't call the Baja a universally better guitar because YOU like the neck more. What kind of neck a person prefers playing is a very personal preference, not a test of character. But I will say the necks on the Baja and CV are different enough that most players are likely to really prefer one over the other. And if they do, THAT'S all they need to know about which is a better value for THEM!

-Ray

Alexpapasitoguapo and Piggy Stu like this.
  5. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    If anyone has a maple classic vibe neck for sale let me know

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I don't but, if you haven't already done so, check out the Stratosphere online. They have a new classic vibe maple neck complete with tuners for $169.95. My experience with this neck is that the fretwork is really second to none.

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.
  7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    my two cents: had both, loved both. the CV I got was heavier than the Baja. I liked the pickups on both. I liked the necks, even though different. Both were perfectly wonderful guitars.

I agree with @Chicago Matt on the CV fretwork.

As it turned out, of all things, I didn't get along with the frets on the Baja. too tall. sue me. just what it felt like to me; I do lots of sliding and after 3 hours, the taller wire is not for me.

I gave the Baja to my nephew. He likes it.

On my project list: weight relief for that CV.

8. dogbert

dogbert TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    consider the classic vibe custom models.

i've played several made in mexico fender teles that were worse than my classic vibe custom squire.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  9. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    I have yes. Justxwant a good cheap deal on a spare neck

Chicago Matt likes this.
  10. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Oakland
    Yeah, agree, I would rather take a cv than a mim standard any day but to be honest the Baja blows away the mim standard model.

Bruxist, Piggy Stu and Chicago Matt like this.
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Sounds like you are a "Slitherer". I do a good bit of that, where a lot of especially younger guys are heavily into bends.

It could be that a "Slitherer" is much more sensitive as to the height of the fretwire. The Mediums on every Baja I have played, in terms of height ( a few store examples were a bit off ) were just fine for me. Where the wheels suddenly come off the wagon for me is up around the Dunlop 6100 to 6000 transition - just the tiniest additional bit but it destroys me. I just can't get the job done consistently on something like an American Special. I mean, I can concentrate real hard and make it 5 minutes maybe, but then I'm exhausted - I may not pick a guitar up again for hours.

12. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    ... I prefer to think of it as subtle and slinky, rather than slithering...somehow, don't like the image of a forked tongue...nothing against reptiles, mind you...

william tele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.