Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Alexpapasitoguapo, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Which telecaster is the best value in the market right now?
    Classic vibe or baja tele? Give us your opinion!

I've got a Baja and it's totally amazing, here's a pic

T-bone Ted likes this.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    It's possible that you could have a Baja that is not as good as a Classic Vibe but I would think that chance is so remote that I think the chances of you winning a Powerball is greater.

Also, I'm nearly becoming OCD driven to reach up and squeeze the fingers holding that Baja...
    Bruxist and Alexpapasitoguapo like this.

3. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    You know why I prefer my classic vibe strat to my Baja tele?
    Because it's about half the weight
    william tele likes this.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, you have a point on that. I never grasped the concept of love for feather weights but I'm starting to as I get older. I'd probably just trade it for a lighter Baja maybe...
    telemnemonics likes this.

5. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

Mar 9, 2018
    My baja tele is way lighter than my Les paul, I also have a classic player 60s strat and it's heavier than the tele, it may be different wood i think between yours and mine probably.

6. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer my own. It's 6lbs of pure tele tone. 150 year old lumber for body, and a neck made out of a piece of baked maple. BKP Flat 52 pickups. She's a real screamer.

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Not sure what best value means.
    The CV line is supposed to be very good value, because they are serviceable good looking nicely finished guitars for fairly low prices.

Those who highly value lower price will likely consider them "best value".

Personally, CVs that I've tried out and even bought were not consistent with my values, so for me they would be a marginal value.

The Baja has a great rep too but I have little experience with them.

I prefer to pay less than CV money for US and MIJ Fenders.
    Gettin harder though!

8. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    I just bought a CV for 200 bucks and the neck is setup better and frets are dressed better than my AmStd tele. Bajas keep a fair bit of value, so on which is the better buy in a pure dollar to guitar ratio, I'd say the CV is a better buy. But the Baja will be the better guitar.

9. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2008
    I've owned a MIA Tele, a AV52 Tele, the white and a blonde CV Tele. I sold all of them. I now have a Baja and its staying put. CV's are great guitars if not "to" heavy...I do find the necks to be a bit small for me though.

The MIA Tele actually had a smallish neck.

And I just didn't like the 52, but I did have a rather severe hand injury that wouldn't allow me to bond with it.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    My brother in law has a cv Tele that must weigh well over 9lbs, maybe 10. It's kind of like lifting weights meets guitar picking. I guess it's pine that does that, I dunno, whatever it is, that thing is heavy.

11. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2014
    Lund, Sweden
    I previously owned both a CV Tele and a Baja. I sold the CV and kept the Baja. Take from that what you will.
    Alexpapasitoguapo and Piggy Stu like this.

12. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    The Baja neck is the thing for me, CV necks are too thin for me and ohhh that truss rod hole at the headstock, makes me queasy. You can find used Bajas in mint condition for $500 all the time, that's what I paid for my most recent one and it came with a Fender Pro case, the $120.00 one. That's a hard deal to beat. However, if you don't like the neck, it's not a good deal. A $100 CV would not be a good deal for me because I hate the neck.

13. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    This makes me think of when Carl Icahn said the iPhone was going to do well because they were selling a Mercedes for Toyota money

It you use something for a thousand hours, and it is 50% better, but costs a little more, I can rationalise that by saying 'each hour of my life I play this will cost me 3 pennies more'

I played a lot of bajas and they were all great - didn't find the cv range as good. I would pay double to get a baja. I feel a step up, like I do baja to av

I have the 50s and 60s: need to confess it in an ngd when I get to a desktop
    Alexpapasitoguapo and Jimmy Owen like this.

14. gkterry

gkterry TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    No contest, Baja! Best neck and overall guitar Fender makes.
    Alexpapasitoguapo and Bones like this.

15. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois
    I own neither, but have played several of each. I prefer the neck of the Classic Vibe.

16. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    I own a 7.0 lb Baja, so all you peeps yakkin' about weight...

Value is subjective - but I would vote Baja since I could afford one; there are better guitars that I have found, but they start at 50% more than what I paid for my Baja.

@Bones also nailed it about the neck on the Baja.
    Alexpapasitoguapo and Bones like this.

17. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    I have played CVs, don't like the thin necks so there is no value for me personally.

My Baja, on the other hand, gives my 52RI a run for it's money.

18. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I've had both and while I think the Baja is a better guitar (IF you like fatter necks and it's wiring setup), I can't imagine a better VALUE than the CV. For me, the perfect neck is somewhere between the two but I found both of them quite playable. The Baja is more versatile - it gives you three additional useable sound options. As for weight, mine were both right around 8 pounds. I've seen lighter versions of both, and heavier. I was in a Guitar Center within the past couple weeks and a guy brought in a Blond CV50 to sell. It looked nice and I hadn't played one in a while, so I picked it up. And damn near fell over. It was one of the heaviest guitars I've held in a looooong time.

Bottom line, if they were the same price, I'd take the Baja. But the CV50 is literally half the price of the Baja and is probably 90% of the guitar. So if money is part of the equation, which I assume it is if we're talking "value", I'd have to go for the Classic Vibe.

Alexpapasitoguapo and gwjensen like this.

19. Xtyfighterx

Xtyfighterx TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2018
    North idaho
    Make me a deal on your classic vibe I’ll buy it for the right price. Then it will make your decision much easier :)

20. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I would recommend a Baja if your budget can take it.

My tele is a Baja neck on a CVC body, so take from that what you will.

I put the CVC on a build I am making for my son (the neck stamp date is 2 days before he was born!). It is a nice neck, but too thin for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.