Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic Vibe Thinline - Neck Replacement?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kerberos, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    I'm curious, has anyone ever swapped the neck out on a Classic vibe Thinline? Back in January 2017, I bought one. I truly loved the tone I could get out of it, and it being so light. However, the neck was too thin for me. I was off when forming chords, and my hand would cramp. It certainly contributed to my arthritis pain kicking up. I decided the best thing to do was to sell it. It sadly left in March. I bought a Fender Classic Series 60's Tele, which is nice, but I miss that Squier. I'm thinking of finding another Thinline, and changing the neck, Fender or Squier. Has anyone done such a Mod?

marsh99 likes this.

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Why not?

The only issue you might have...which is rarely an issue for me because there are ways around it...is neck dive.

Since the Thinline is so light, and a fatter neck is going to be heavier, you're heading into that territory. But I can't see putting a QUALITY neck in a profile you like as being anything but a good thing. Just don't look for bargain necks. Spend the money on something really special.

rze99 likes this.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Also, you're gonna have much more variety of fatter necks by looking elsewhere than Fender or Squier. Fatter profiles aren't easy to come by with them.

I would be thinking Warmoth.

brookdalebill likes this.

4. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Thanks! I'll take a look at 'em

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Warmoth or USACG.
    Allparts makes/markets both maple and rosewood board "fat" necks, too.
    Good luck!

6. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Great! Will certainly check out USACG too! Didn't know about them. Thank you!

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I use Allparts FAT unfinished, largely so I can shape them myself--they're a good bang for the buck. Depending on how much time and money you want to spend, and how much more beef you need, you could swap necks with a Squier 72 Thinline. This is actually what I did with my CV Thinline, as I put it down more often because of the cold, thin neck. The 72 neck I have now is about 0.875" at the 1st fret and 0.94" at the 12th fret. It's a later 2017 one, the older ones I've played have a more pronounced V and maybe some extra girth. I think the 72 neck looks better too, with the tint and more accurate decal style..

Kerberos likes this.

8. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I just hope that tone you love so much on the thinline is not changed too much when you replace the neck...

Kerberos likes this.

9. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    It will change the tone, maybe for better or worse, depending on many things and your own tone preference. I put a fat Squer '51 neck on my blonde CV50 for a few years. Added about 6 oz, made the tone much brighter, and I loved it. But eventually I put the stock neck back on and now I think it's great. I always heard the Thinline neck was fatter than the other CV necks, maybe not?

Kerberos and rich815 like this.

10. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    I just changed the neck on my Squier Bullet. I have an Allparts and it dropped right in and fits perfectly. Like your experience, the Squier neck that it came with was a bit thin for my taste. That being said, the Squier neck is this amazing tiger maple with very tight stripes. I wish it was chunker. Anyway, it's an easy swap, or at least it was on my Bullet.

11. rich815

Yeah, just something to keep in mind. I built a partscaster last year with a new Fender MIM body and a Squier white-faced FSR rosewood neck. In the end a gorgeous guitar but was so bright and trebly I did all I could to calm the bright tone such as a black graphite saddles set and a thicker bridge plate. Helped but still quite bright. I ended up buying a nice used Musikraft rosewood neck for another tele (a Highway 1) and on a whim took the Mighty Mite maple neck I had on that and put it on the MIM body. Presto! The treble issue gone and the tonality now so rich and warm. Turns out it seems it was pretty much the neck affecting the tone. My fear is the OP might not realize how much the neck on that thinline affected the tone he liked so much.

Kerberos, tap4154 and BorderRadio like this.

12. rich815

How was the tone affected in your opinion?

Kerberos likes this.

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've swapped between a 2010 and 2014 CV Thinline neck, not much difference, and if I recall correctly, they were both similar to my FSR CVC neck. It's the VM 72 Thinline neck that has the heft, at least from the few samples I played in the shops.

Kerberos and tap4154 like this.

14. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    Honestly, I didn't play the neck more than a few minutes before swapping it. I purchased the Bullet with the intention of swapping the neck to the Allparts I had. I didn't really notice any change, it was just far more comfortable. From the limited playing I did, I would say, little to none. Major change in feel though, which makes playing far more enjoyable. Slim necks hurt my banana hands after a while.

15. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Terrific information guys, I really appreciate hearing about your experience swapping necks. Though I only had a a maple neck once (on that Squier Thinline) I always preferred a Rosewood board, and planned on going in that direction. And yes, I really loved that tone on that Squier. Seem I could go from Jazz to making it growl when I wanted to.

16. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Jersey
    I did once, added a 50s CV neck. Fit right in.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.