Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic Vibe Tele upgrades?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ledvedder, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2004
    NJ
    I'm curious what upgrades everyone has performed to their CV Teles. So far, I've just ordered compensated brass saddles.

2. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    I intended on loads of mods. almost two years on I still can't bring myself to do anything to it, it's a great guitar for cheap.

The Angle and nojazzhere like this.

3. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    tHey dont need it.The tuners are the same as on Baja Tele Fenders and Fender Japan high end Teles .The pickups are good unless you want to put in hotter or ceramics or blah blah .Brass saddles are a decent mod but didnt really notice any noticable difference on my CVC either in tuning or sound .Others will doubtless differ .Its all part of the fun .
    The biggest and best mod any guitar other than a plekked high end or custom luthier built can have is fret level and nut job .This turns most guitars into high end players .

4. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2004
    NJ
    I've read that some people replaced the input jack, and others replaced the controls. I'm just wondering if it's noticeable, or if it's just voodoo.

I am considering different pickups, as I'm more of a rock player. Maybe something hotter that still retains a bit of the Tele vibe?

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Ya they are pretty dang good right out of the box.

But if you need a tad more heat, but still want to remain Tele I would suggest either (you didn't say what model you have):

http://www.tonerider.com/hot-classics

or Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials.

Then FOR SURE put a 4 way switch in to get series for a NICE neck humbucker tone option, and another noise reduction position as a bonus.

6. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2004
    NJ
    I have the butterscotch blonde model.

7. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I would look at the Cavalier Fat Lion bridge and Fat Lion King neck (unless you want more of an open or stratty sound...then maybe the Lioness or Fat Lioness). If you want more of a P90 sound, the Humongous Lion might be a consideration too. Give Rob a call and tell him what you're looking for. He'll hook you up and won't break the bank. I'm on my second set of Cavs: Nashville Lion and Lion King in one tele, Fat Lion and Fat Lion King in the other. Very happy! :D

8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    CVC :

Neck humbucker
    Bridge dual rail humbucker
    Replaced the tuners with identical tuners except for the white buttons. No operational differences, the stock ones are v.good
    500K vol. pot
    Electrosocket
    Straplocks
    Various different saddles, now back at the stock steel ones for a while.

CV Vintage Blonde :

Electrosocket
    Straplocks

9. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2004
    NJ
    The Ritchie Kotzen setup kind of intrigues me. Does anyone have experience with the Dimarzio Chopper T/Twang King pickups?

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Simple : none, because none are necessary. (Of course many are possible)

Oh, one by the previous owner: a white pickguard (see three CV's in my profile pic).

<Sarcasm>sounds better now</sarcasm>

capt pearl likes this.

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Then you would have A V mags in your pups.

Those I mentioned would have a little more output for you, yet still stay Tele.

12. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2004
    NJ
    Aren't the Toneriders very similar to the stock pickups?

13. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Yes, the regular CV's (including thinline and custom) have the alnico 5's, and the VB had the overwound alnico 3's. There are some minor differences (like plastic instead of cloth on the wires, and the specs may differ a little, but the similarity certainly is there).

I was hoping on a CV with TRT-3 like pickups... (prefereably in real british racing green, not the race green of the Affinity). Fender if you read this?

14. ledvedder

ledvedder TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2004
    NJ
    So, they wouldn't be much different than the stock pups? I'd like something a bit more rock friendly, since I play through Marshall and hot-rodded Marshall type amps.

15. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    In your case, I'd probably go for either higher output Fenders or Seymour Duncans (I'm a fan), or any other brand that you like. The Tonerider pickups sound great, are very cheap for the quality and sound, but they don't really differ that much from the stock Squier CV pickups.

16. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    The only thing I've seen fit to change on my VB was leveling a pair of high frets; the G, B, and E strings used to fret out on the 8th and 9th frets. I might swap in a compensated bridge someday. If I keep playing it as much as I've been, the inexpensive switch and pots may wear out eventually. But out of the box, all it needed was those 10 or 15 minutes of fret work. (Bear in mind I bought it used, so the previous owner might have spent a year trying to get it adjusted correctly.) Everything else that could be done would make it different, but I can't see how changing pickups, saddles, nut, or tuners would make it significantly better.

17. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Only mod I really felt I needed to do was put on a chunkier neck. I got a great deal on a Baja neck, so after selling the CV neck it only cost me $50.

Besides that, my bridge pickup died after a couple years and when I replaced it I decided to change all the electronics.

18. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2012
    Indy
    I swapped out the pickups for an Am. Std. set and replaced the tone cap. It was a definite improvement in sound. It added warmth and a richer, fuller sound. I have the tone riders for sale if anybody wants them?

19. Airguitar

Airguitar Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2010
    Benoni, South Africa
    It's already been said.
    Spend money on a top class pro setup and it will take anything you can throw at it.
    The only other money wortwhwort spent on it would be a good tube amp.

nicod98 likes this.

20. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

Nov 11, 2015
    terra firma
    I put on a bone nut, modern 6 saddle bridge and eventually went back to the 3 barrel bridge and used compensated saddles. Only drawback I've found is it seems the fretwire is fairly soft and I will eventually either have to get a new neck or have it refretted. Played the hell out of mine for several years. Love it

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.