Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic Vibe Tele owners club.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by Mark Davis, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thanks a lot man. It was a lot of fun gathering the parts and throwing it all together. Even did my own soldering for once. Pretty fulfilling getting close to the end and now I get to play a guitar I put together on stage.

Tony474 likes this.

2. teleplayer66

teleplayer66 Tele-Meister

Finished NGD for me.

I finally finished all the upgrades to my CV 50's Stratocaster.

New "Abby" wound Alnico 3 pickups, all new CTS pots, 3 way CRL switch, Paper-in-oil .047 caps, treble bleed circuit , all original 54 style cloth wire, Switchcraft jack, original 54 style string tree, real Fender 54 1 ply 8 hole pickguard, Fender 1 ply 54 style back plate, Plek job, milled Aluminum solid string block, tremolo blocked and a new bone nut. All the electronics supplied by Mike Riley of Rock -N-R Guitars out of Montana.

I wanted this guitar to be as close to an original 54 Strat as I could make it.

It has that "sound" very much like a 54 model. I know because I have played one and the Tone was stuck in my head for a long time. Also for the most part it looks like one. I have to give Squier a lot of credit, they got the 2 tone sunburst awful close to the original 54 one Fender did.

Together with my CV BSB Tele, I have put all my other expensive electric guitars away. These are all I really need.

It still amazes me that two Chinese made guitars won me over when all I have ever played my whole career has been nothing but USA made instruments.

In case anyone wonders the brass name plate at the base of the bridge with the letters TM was to honor my friend Tim Myers, the best guitar player I have ever personally known.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really get a big kick when other players see me show up with a Squier guitar and they either look down at it right away because they are obvious "Headstock Snobs" and admittedly as I once was ,
    and then the look on their faces when they hear it or I let them play it. Pure satisfaction going on in my head. ;)

Yes, I have put a lot of money in the upgrades BUT I love the neck on this guitar and the balance it has. To me it was worth the investment and besides, a real 54 would have cost me a ton more cash and a re-issue Fender 54 Strat is still way more than what I have in this Classic Vibe.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    rls1952, Route67 and YOSTINATOR like this.

3. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    You went all out on that one. She is a looker! You're giving me the GAS lol

teleplayer66 likes this.

4. teleplayer66

Thanks Yost !!

I can't quite get over how really well-made these Classic Vibe instruments are. They give you a base to work from that is excellent and actually you can leave them stock and they are still a great guitar.

I find myself thinking about a Classic Vibe Thinline but I really don't need to do that because my CV BSB is just a great Tele.

savofenno, YOSTINATOR and Route67 like this.

5. teleplayer66

one thing I'd like to mention is that the pots and the switch that came stock in the CV Stratocaster were the real cheap dime-sized pots and the little box type switch and the Jack wasn't much either which I find surprising because that wasn't the case with what came in my classic vibe Telecaster.

That's the inspiration for my idea to upgrade this Stratocaster and then I might have gone a little too far but once I get on a roll it's hard to stop myself:lol:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    YOSTINATOR and Route67 like this.

6. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Yeah it seems the CV Teles got the good electronics and the CV Strats got the short end of the stick. Peculiar, as I cannot imagine much of a difference is mfg costs.

teleplayer66 likes this.

7. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Just had to chime in after reading this quote. It makes me know I'm not crazy. I too have been playing a long time - over 50 years. I've owned many nice vintage instruments. I've been primarily a Strat guy, and bought a vintage blonde CV Tele a few years back just to have a Tele in the stable. From the beginning it has felt and sounded SO RIGHT to me. I am continually amazed at how much I have bonded with this guitar. It is now my primary gigging guitar and I have a hard time putting it down.

8. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    I love them so much that I had to get another one. They are just perfect. Took me 20 years to discover that I am a Tele guy, well, maybe a CV Tele guy ;)

teleplayer66 and Route67 like this.

9. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Ouch! Nice flame!!

teleplayer66 and YOSTINATOR like this.

10. Pointmonger

Pointmonger Tele-Holic

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    I'm out of the club. I loved my CV BSB so much, but once I played a Baja, I couldn't go back to the CV neck. Great neck, but that chunky Baja neck just felt so good in my hand and I couldn't justify keeping both. Absolutely nothing wrong with a Classic Vibe, though. Pure tele. Knowing me, I'll end up with another one.

YOSTINATOR likes this.

11. Z-Man

Z-Man TDPRI Member

Mar 30, 2016
    Kansas City
    Just found a used CV at guitar center. Went in to kill time on my lunch break. Wasn't planning on buying a guitar today but I couldn't let it go. Called it an early bday present.

Attached Files:

teleplayer66, Tony474 and YOSTINATOR like this.

12. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Congrats! They are irresistible, I don't blame you

teleplayer66 likes this.

13. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    That's nice. Very very very nice indeed. Happy "new" guitar!

teleplayer66 likes this.

14. Texas_tele2015

Texas_tele2015 Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2014
    Mesquite, TX
    Bsb owner 2 yrs and counting...excellent guitars for the price.

teleplayer66 and YOSTINATOR like this.

15. revellfa

revellfa TDPRI Member

Jun 29, 2017
    Lavale, Md.
    Bought mine about a week ago and just love it. Serial number is CGS1519119. Apparently it's a 2015 model? I love the twang. I was raised a blue grasser, which led me to Old Time Music, which led me to the country blues, which has led me to classic country. Therefore, I had to have a Classic Vibe Tele, right?

16. bryan83

bryan83 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2006
    HI
    Here's my sweet CV Esquire. I recently rewired with quality components (CTS, PIO, etc) and a SD Broadcaster pickup. I also just ordered a knock off Bigsby for it. It's pretty awesome!

[​IMG]

teleplayer66, savofenno and revellfa like this.

17. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    I play mostly 80's blues flavored hard rock (think Great White & Kix) on my CV Teles. They are great for that

teleplayer66 and revellfa like this.

18. teleplayer66

I took my CV Tele to the legendary Mike Forrester of Forrester Kustom Guitars in Maryland and he completely went over it, made a new vintage bone nut for it, intonated the compensated brass saddles, set the action as low as possible, adjusted the pickup heights, dressed, leveled and polished the frets and it is just an amazing instrument now.

He took the pine body off and replaced it with a Paulowina wood one that weighed just 2 lbs before he did the change over and now the whole guitar weighs just 5 lbs 3oz.

It's very resonate and the notes ring like a bell with amazing sustain.

I adore it now. I will NEVER give this guitar up ever.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

19. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I'm in. Just received a used one via Reverb. Played a new one at a GC for a long time & nearly bought it but it was pretty heavy & they wouldn't deal at all. This one is no lightweight but not a boat anchor either, maybe 8#. Arrived with no wear except on the pickguard. Neck was bowed but truss rod very loose & that quickly adjusted out. Bridge pup was high and not slanted so I fixed that in a couple minutes to balance strings + neck & bridge pups. It's a 2015 model, I think a fresh set of 9s on it.

I'll tell ya: these damned things sound very good and play really well stock IMO. It's a very 'woody' tone to me, much different than the AV62 I've been playing for years. Kinda reminds me of the AV52 I had years ago. And it intonates very well, no buzz anywhere...quite a remarkable guitar for the $.

I'll slap a set of 10s on it after awhile but now I'm just gonna play it for awhile. Wish I had my SFPR up here in my 'surgery recovery room' to run it thru but soon enough... IMG_6981.JPG

horax, teleplayer66 and teletimetx like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.