Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic Vibe Tele as a full-time guitar

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by GK34, Sep 19, 2018.

1. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Pearland, TX
    I am looking at a couple of Classic Vibe Teles this week, one CVC and one Vintage Blonde 50s. Who out there out there using these full-time or exclusively?

2. Tezuka27

Tezuka27 Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    Got my CV50s BSB in 2011. It's no longer BSB, but it's still my number one. Did a level and recrown, installed Gotoh tuners, CTS pots and a 4 way switch, and a Bigsby B5. Plays like a dream now and the tuning is very stable.

jb

3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    My number one player is a 50's blond classic vibe. The only mod has been replacing the bridge pup with a lil 59. The only thing I have noticed is I have near wore the frets off mine over the past 5 or 6 years. That could just be because it gets played so much but it's possible the frets are a little softer than others. I am a little heavy handed with it. It stays in tune no matter how much bending I do and has survived international baggage with the neck taken off, put back together and played with no setup needed.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Mine almost always makes it to our roots gigs, though sometimes as a back up. Even in those cases, it still gets played. However, mine is heavily modded.

50's classic neck (wore the frets out of the original and it was cheaper to replace than refret)
    New wiring harness
    50's dome knobs
    Antiquity flat pole pickups
    Vibramate bridge and plate
    Gotoh slotted brass barrel saddles
    B5 Bigsby
    Gotoh klusen style keystone tuners.

Pretty much the only things original to the guitar are the body, neckplate, control plate and strap buttons.

5. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I have too many guitars to play one "full time", but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be a nice candidate. It has good looks, good quality and good sound... all it needs is a good player.

6. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I would change the pots and switch. The original tone pots on mine almost go from full to zero without increments. The switches are holding up, but would worry if I really played professionally. The pine body will of course ding easily.

7. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Holic

Sep 26, 2015
    Maldon, England
    Playing all night with that grippy finish iz a problem for me. The satin neck on a mim standard feels better.

8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I put a 4 way and an electrosocket in my blonde, and was very happy with it until the frets wore relatively quickly (3 or 4 yrs of intensive playing)

Fendereedo and Chunkocaster like this.
  9. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    My 2008 vintage blonde CV50 has been used extensively for professional gigs over many years. It is completely standard except that I've flatted down the gloss on the neck to a satin finish using Micromesh, but the pickups and electronics are the originals and function perfectly. The guitar is completely and absolutely up to professional use and if I didn't own several other Teles as well I'd be happy to gig it all the time.

soulman969, tintag27 and nicod98 like this.
  10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2016
    Tip of the Mitt
    no.1 is a cvc 60's telecaster

no.2 is cv 50's strat

(As far as electric guitars are concerned.)

11. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2012
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yes, my CV is my go-to for songwriting, for general playing, noodling and is just what my hand naturally gravitates toward when reaching toward the rack. I'm lucky/spoiled/dumb enough to have too many guitars, but the CV is what I assume I'll be playing. Note it's an esquire nowadays.

12. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Too many guitars? There's no such thing! Not enough pickups, though; that's something else... :D

soulman969 and nicod98 like this.
  13. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Jersey
    I have a Warmoth custom built Tele (broadcaster bridge pickup) as my #1 and always will be. But I use my CVC as my "countrycaster" so it gets a decent amount of use. Probably 60/40 at this point.

14. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    There is little difference between a classic vibe or any other fender tele including custom shop. A neck and a body with some hardware thrown on. The jack cups can be problematic but are a simple fix. I would do the same change to a custom shop tele. The headstock logo, electronics and finish is are personal preferences.

hemmings and flatcat like this.
  15. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have both. Love em' both.
    Both are stock. The BSB gets more recording time. Nails that Skynyrd Double Trouble Tone and
    Led Zep One sounds. Don't play live that often anymore, but would use it without a doubt if I did,

The VB 50's is such a twang machine. I use it for tonal coloring mostly.

Both are great guitars for the money. The pots could be better. I guess if I was playing them live I would upgrade. Haven't wore the frets out yet. I did 0000 Steel Wool the necks on both of them.

Sticky Necks + Heavy Bodies

I do love my BSB though ... I play mine thru a Vox AC30. :D

Bobby73 and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.