Classic Vibe style neck?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Volktar, May 19, 2019.

1. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Hey yall. So, I have always loved fat necks. Well, used to apperently. Several months back I found a good deal on a used Classic Vibe thineline tele, and since I had never owned a tele, I couldn't help but buy it. Already had a bigsby and American standard pups.

Months later, I still find myself reaching for the tele, even over my 80s American strat that costs more than 3x the cheddar.

I'm thinking about upgrading the tele to an American thinline, but I really don't want to give up that skinny nut width. I've just fallen in love with it and it really fits my smallish hands. What options are out there for a similar neck without crushing the budget?

2. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Photos. Because who doesn't like looking at guitars...?

Attached Files:

3. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Why upgrade if your so happy with the current guitar? Not like you'll be gaining anything. If you need to spend money...then you may be disappointed with the apparent lack of toothpick necks on professional grade intruments.

AxemanVR and boris bubbanov like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome Volktar!

I personally find that pale, pale Classic Vibe Thinline neck to be the largest/fattest of the necks in the whole CV product line. Sometimes some of the basic '52 style CV necks are equal but IMO most CV necks are smaller than what you have. The #1 thing that's IMO bad about the neck you have is, that stock plastic nut is terribly soft and needs replacement.

I agree with mijstrat72. Your stock Thinline is a fine choice really only if you can force yourself to just play it (other than R + R the nut) just as it is, or with a new Jack Cup and maybe a fret level and crown. Don't mess with it, as it falls back into the pack every time you modify on it. Its strength; the whole reason it has appeal is it is supposed to be played as you found it. It isn't a kit, I promise.

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Squire Affinity necks have a typical nut width of 1.600" or slightly wider. After replacing the awful plastic nut, an Affinity neck can be a great one.

Do not pay attention to the rampant Internet opinions about the playability of the Affinity neck. Find a music store and try one. It might suit you perfectly. If so, the necks are available used across a broad range of pricing.

I switch between my Baja 50s Tele and my Affinity Strat with no issues. The Affy neck is deep enough at the 1st fret that the narrow nut still works for me.

bender66 likes this.
  6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was just handling some of the import necks I've accumulated & was looking closer at a finished 22 fret maple neck in particular. It looked every bit as good as the neck on my CV, maybe even better if you take into account some subtle flame. I think I hadn't paid over $30 for most of these from Amazon of all places. They are consistent in depth at the 1st fret too... .85-.87ish...
    20190519_115305.jpg 20190519_115337.jpg

I've said elsewhere recently that I don't consider that skinny. I call it average/normal. Some of those earlier Affinitys & current Squier Standards I've had have amazingly narrow nut & thin depth if that's what you're after.

archetype- I think that the newer Affinity necks are suspiciously close to the Squier '51 in size & feel, which is a nice comfy neck, imo.

7. boris bubbanov

I think there's a significant amount of variation, depending on where the "Affinity" is being made. Some are pitifully small and some are not.

But those Indonesian Squier 51 necks varied, too. Some I still have are really hefty. The smaller ones (perhaps like the ones you know of) I donated away to this person and that one. No Affinity neck I have ever seen is on par with the larger Squier 51 necks out there.

8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

True enough, it depends on year and country of manufacture, plus many variables.

If you want biggish, nothing beats the early '51s. Are they narrow at the nut?

9. boris bubbanov

No, those 2005-2007 Squier 51s mostly have a nut about as wide as a MIM Standard. I pulled the stock nut out and used a pre-slotted Tusq or Graphtech nut with the same specifications selected by the author of the Spacklehoss tutorial. Which is pretty close to the USA modern Fenders if I recall correctly and the slot array is wider than the stock array but worked better, I thought. At that time there were Affinities coming from both Indonesia and China and one of the two had a very delicate neck (decidedly smaller than most Bullets) while the other had a fairly tolerable neck (as measured at the nut).

Now, there were some smaller ones mixed in, but what I did was go through as many as 40 Squier 51s in their packing at a time and pick the 12 I liked best and bought those. One other time I bought 8. That's how you get to Thirty of them (maybe half of the bodies have since found new homes while some necks were used to replace some necks on other Squiers I had or paired to USACG bodies).

bender66 likes this.
  10. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Not looking to tear apart the CV. It's beautiful as is. Already changed out everything but the pots on it.
    What Im looking for is an american made big brother for it, with a similar nut width. This 1.625 with seems to really be the sweat spot for me. I love my 83 strat, but something about that neck just isnt right.

Likewise, I went back and checked out my old Schecter C1 Plus that I bought around 06 or 07. It was purely the neck that made me fall in love with it in the first place, but it never got me where I wanted to go (Was a die hard single coil fan afterall...).
    Sure as **** - 1.625 nut with. I should have looked into what made that thing feel so damn playable in the first place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.