Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic Vibe knobs

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jfgesquire, May 24, 2018.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire TDPRI Member

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Ok, I’m new here, sorry...

Is it just me or are the 50s BSB knobs domed and the VB knobs flat topped?

EDIT:

Ugh, went to the Fender site . . . There was a little contradiction in their lit, but yes, the VB has the flat top knob.

Too bad . . .

I wanted it to look like a ‘55 . . . Now I need domed knobs to go with the white 5 hole pickguard I ordered . . . and a tophat selector . . . and steel saddles . . . and a .05uf and .10uf cap . . . and a Pat. Pend bridge

Does anyone know if these Alpha pots are 1/4 inch or 6mm.

And these knobs are press fit, not set screw?

I’m taking enough parts off of this guitar that all I need is a neck and body and I can build another guitar . . .

Last edited: May 25, 2018

2. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Yes, 50s knobs were domed, like the '52 AVRI. Flat top knobs are more '70s style. I eventually changed all the hardware on my VB CV50 because it all tarnished beyond polishing (very bad plating job on some early ones like mine). Put on Allparts nickle bridge with threaded steel saddles, control plate, neck plate and domed knobs (with set screws and I used brass sleeves on the stock pot spit shafts to adapt them). Still have the stock hot A3 bridge pickup (love it) but put a Twisted Tele neck pickup in and 4-way switch. Still has stock tuners, but they work fine IMHO.

CV50 Wall HB.jpg

Isn't the top hat knob more 70's? And I like the stock .33 tone cap.

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire TDPRI Member

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Sorry to hear about the plating issue. I already upgraded a lot of the hardware not because the guitar needed it but because I'm building a partscaster and needed the parts anyway.

I still don't know why the Vintage Blonde comes with flat tops and the BSB comes with domed... but the flat tops will end up on the partscaster, too.

I went a little overkill on my Blond CV 50s Tele... just finished soldering last night. The cloth pushback wire and wax paper caps are strictly a waste of money, they don't do anything for the sound or my playing ability, but I know it's there, like chrome plated engine parts... 20180605_145020~2.jpeg

tap4154 and Tezuka27 like this.

4. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Looks good, but you're the only person I've ever seen actually add the .1 cap for the dark position, losing neck/bridge option. Solders look real clean though.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

5. jfgesquire

jfgesquire TDPRI Member

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Thanks. I currently play through a 60s Vox tube amp which is very bright and so I wanted to hear the .10uf first.

I actually like the idea of the early blend circuit and may try that, too. I owned a Strat where the wiring for the 3 knobs was master volume for bridge and neck, master tone and then volume for middle pickup. So in the middle selector I could have strumming volume set at one level and then flip the selector to lead volume. And in the 2 and 4 position on the selector, add more or less middle pickup volume to give even greater tone variation beyond just the tone circuit.

I have a proper solder work station, but I'll tell you it was a little nerve wracking working a 300°C soldering tip only millimeters away from $15 waxed capacitors! My eyesight ain't what it used to be and relying on magnification doesn't always give the best depth perception. You have to be quick AND accurate.

I'm going to replace the wires coming from the pickups, too, so that all the wiring comes out of the CV Tele all still connected to the control plate, if I ever want to put it back.

tap4154 likes this.

6. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Nice job. Sadly you seem to have had some sub-standard plating on that one. This is a shot of my '09 CV50 - The plating is ageing nicely (after 9 years) and the patina has warmed to a nickel-like colour which I really like. I put a Rutters control plate (with the angled switch slot) next to it - you can see how the plating there is much smoother and a cooler blueish tint, but it didn't match as well for me, so I reluctantly left it off...

2009 CV50 VB.jpg

7. Dave_11

Dave_11 TDPRI Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Central IL
    I just measured them the night before last, and the Alpha pots in my CV Thinline Tele were 6mm.

8. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Yeah, you got a good one. BTW the plating IS nickel on those early CV50s, and your Rutters plate looks bluish in comparison because it's probably chrome. I like the softer look of nickel, which is why I bought nickel replacement hardware from Allparts, and it's over almost 2 years later and holding up like new. BTW mine is an '09 as well, but it seems the hardware was hit or miss back then. Maybe they just had a bad run?

Here's the original stuff. All fogged up and no cleaner could restore it. Always was left smudgy looking.

cv50 Stock Hardware.jpg

Here's a closeup of the Allparts nickel bridge.You can't really see the threaded saddles in the pic above.

CV50 AP Bridge Close.jpg

BTW the bridge plate in that pic is reflecting the "popcorn" ceiling, it's actually a very smooth, consistent finish.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    tintag27 likes this.

9. tap4154

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    tintag27 likes this.

10. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    Macclesfield, UK
    Thanks for that information... Yes that is exactly right - nickel plate vs chrome plate!
    Good reference shots... I can see the problem - I would not have been able to live with that either. What a shame, but that All Parts product is super classy, good choice!

tap4154 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.