Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic vibe custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by scottchris, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden

2. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    Cheers mate.
    Kinda sucks that you ask if I used an amp though - means it doesn't sound authentic.

That's S-Gear 2.
    Everything on my soundcloud is recorded using S-Gear 2 asides from the acoustic stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/nowhere-near-it

3. Honest Charley

Honest Charley Tele-Holic

Dec 13, 2013
    Sweden
    No Please!! This is THE sound I wanna make! Then I can die happy and content!! :D

/back-from-googling/

Aha. S-Gear. :!:

I bought myself an old Peavey Bandit 65, solo series, from I beleive 1983, last christmas. Could probably be a good mate to a CVC me thinks. Better start looking...

4. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    Yeah I reckon that'd make a pretty awesome pair man.

S-Gear is mad. Here's two more tracks, CVC through S-Gear 2.

This one's got it sounding a bit fatter than normal, by rolling the tone knob back a tad and it's all neck pickup.
    Obviously aiming for the Brothers In Arms tone, which wasn't done on a Tele..
    https://soundcloud.com/nowhere-near-it/bia-noodle

This one's got a little reverb and I go through all of the pickups, it's just over some piano backing track I found youtube.
    A beat kicks in after a while, I kinda dig it though.
    https://soundcloud.com/nowhere-near-it/noodler

5. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

I wish they made CVC in other colors WITHOUT the painted head stock. I'd be in for a CAR or black or nearly anything.

6. TellyJelly74

TellyJelly74 TDPRI Member

May 2, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    Hey everybody,

i thought about swapping my CVCs original pickups to Di Marzio Twang Kings. Does anyone has experience with these pups? Any other recommendations? I play mostly blues, pop, funk, beat, rnr stuff. Thank youuuu!

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Twang Kings are an excellent choice a well as Bill and Becky Lawrence's Wilde Keystones; http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Keystones.html

I have a set of Keystones in my CVC. They're the purest, sweetest, most transparent and quietest single coils I've ever played. I've installed Twang King neck and Keystone bridge pickups in a friends CV Thinline and they paired very well.

You really can't go wrong with either one. They both very well thought of around here.

8. TellyJelly74

TellyJelly74 TDPRI Member

May 2, 2015
    Berlin, Germany
    Dear Soulman969, thanks for your reply.

I checked Bill Lawrence website and as i have never heard of him (just digging deeper into replacement parts) i was extremly surprised of his reputation and the product prices. And he was born in Germany, that seems like a good sign to choose his "stones" and get them home :).

When changing a vintage teles pups would you recommend the keystone T set? I don´t want to change the look of my all-black-CVC.

9. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2013
    Herne Bay
    A Fender neck will bolt right on. Mine currently has a 60's Baja attached:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. boney

boney Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    bardstown, ky.
    also check out rio grande pickups a little higher in price but worth every penny.

11. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    I use Cavalier pups. A Lion King and a Nashville Lion! plenty of twang, grit, smooth blues or whatever. Call Rob up, tell him what you like to play/want and he'll dial you in. Great quality, customer service, and a great guy! I couldn't be happier!

http://www.cavalierpickups.com/

G

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    You're very welcome. I speak highly of Keystones because I play them as well.

TJ74, Bill Lawrence (RIP) is really the Godfather of after market replacement pickups and was one of the first to begin offering them. His "blade" designs were very popular in the 70s as are his Keystones and many of his other designs now. I think you'd be quite happy with a set of Keystones in that particular guitar.

You can order the Keystone set with a black cover on the neck pickup if you like and it will blend right in with your black on black CVC. The set I have in my CVC has a black cover as well although I do take some ribbing from a good friend over that. LOL But hey, I like the black look too.

Yes, Bill was German born and I believe his given name was Willie Stich. He was also quite the player in his prime years as well. Bill passed away a while ago but the business carries on in the tradition Bill intended through the very capable hands of his wife Becky. If you have any question please do call her about them. She is a very charming lady and most willing to do whatever she can to help you out with a pickup selection.

Bruxist likes this.

13. Fender Bob

Fender Bob Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    So I've ordered one. Looks gorgeous, appears to have a one piece body, on the light side at 7lb 8oz. and no string alignment issues.

Despite it being a Squire and CIC I'm kind of excited...is that wrong?

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1443136259.499333.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1443136272.217219.jpg ImageUploadedByTDPRI1443136289.793661.jpg

14. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    The one I got came from that same group. Yours is the lightest weight they had. Beautiful guitar.

Though it is a 3 piece body. Look closely, you will see the joins. In fact, all of them were 3 piece bodies. That is not a bad thing. Leo made of lot of 2, 3 and even 4 piece body guitars.

15. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    Yes, BE EXCITED! They are great guitars.

I have 2 Custom Shop NoCaster Relics also. This CVC is different, but plays just as well, feels just as good, and other than the plastic (chrome) knobs, is built just a good.

I am replacing the pots and knobs on mine as I don't like how hard it is to turn the pots. But $15 is very little invest in such a great guitar that cost so little.

16. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I recently bought an FSR CVC and have been amazed by the quality all round.
    I reviewed it with pics elsewhere on the site.
    It has a truly wonderful neck.
    It needed a fair bit of setup and screw tightening and tweaking etc from me out of the box so be prepared for that.
    With new strings and the proper setup it easily keeps up with my much more expensive models in my Tele family.
    Highly recommended and I can see that fender are going to use the Chinese to take over from the Japanese as their Eastern production.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015

17. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    The bass player in my blues trio owns a CVC with a Gibson HB in the neck and a Seymour Duncan HB in the bridge and some other hardware upgrades. He paid $300 for it used with all the mods already done to it. I use it a lot of gigs we do as a backup or even sometimes I'll play it all night. Definitely an excellent guitar...don't let that "Squier" logo fool you.

18. Fender Bob

Fender Bob Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2012
    Northeast Ohio

So it arrived and I can not believe how nice it is. Sure there are some minor things that need adjusted but the base platform is really good.

19. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Sep 26, 2009
    Winchester, Va.
    Congratulations on a wonderful guitar.... They are vintage spec, so you can change anything you want with vintage spec parts.. My 2010 White CV-50 Tele is my favorite guitar. I drool when I see yours.

20. Fender Bob

Fender Bob Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Today I installed a electrosocket jack, a 4 way switch mod with switchcraft switch, CTS pots, orange drop and cloth wiring.

I must say I expected the original wiring to be poorly done and find other issues. I must say, aside from a loose input jack, I was wrong. I mainly did it so as to never have to worry about the electronics again but the original was nicely done.

I also spent some time grinding down the saddle screws but (I hadn't noticed before) they actually supplied shorter screws for the E/A and B/E saddles. Totally didn't expect that detail on a CIC.

Clap clap Squire...nicely done!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.