Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic vibe custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by scottchris, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    He had both the CV butterscotch and CVC there.
    No brainer once I played them.
    CVC.

I'll take pics later or tomorrow.
    I actually loved the neck.

2. alexcoupe

alexcoupe Tele-Meister

May 17, 2013
    Portugal
    Please please, post some pictures we wana see it.

3. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dodgy pics but I'm still out of town.

It plays nicely. Will be better after a setup.
    The saddles are too high and I don't have the Allen's key here to sort that out.

Neck is silky smooth. Not glossy feeling at all which was a surprise.

The butterscotch one was also a beautiful guitar. Looked and played so well. The neck on the CVC just felt a bit better so I went with that.

I really liked both guitars though.

Can't wait to get it home, set it up with some new strings, sort out the saddles and plug it in!
    That mint guard has GOT to go though! It looks cheap!

The burst in person is extremely nice looking.
    I need better pics.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Well thick (as in deep) they are not when compared to something like a "U" neck on a Nocaster or the Baja soft "V" but the earlier CV and especially the CVC models seemed to have necks that were kinda ultra thin top to bottom. I've heard that was true of some early '60s Fender necks so that may be why.

This latest one I got on that FSR CVC has more depth to it. Even more so than the modern "C" on my MIM. It's a rounder or more full and there's just a little more there to grab onto. I'd say it's a bit of an improvement in comfort for those of who like a little deeper cut profile.

Now whether or not that's true of all of them, just this one FSR model, or I just got lucky with one that has a little stouter neck I can't say.

5. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    Congrats CVC brotha!!!! She's a beaut!!!! You'll enjoy the hell out of it!!!!!

NGD is always a kick in the pants, huh?

Actually I'm sittin' here waiting for UPS and a new acoustic as we speak!

Keep them pics comin' as well as any upgrades you do, if you do. She probably rocks just the way it is!!!

G

6. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    I need to fix saddle height, black pickguard for sure.
    Also plan a Bigsby since I cover some Stray Cats and Reverend Horton Heat stuff.
    Also Grady Martin uses some Bigsby in Johnny Burnettes stuff at times, which I also cover.
    So kinda need that.

If it sounds good I won't change pickups though.
    Need better pics!!

7. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    Surprise, AZ

8. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    What acoustic you got comin'?

9. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Looks in great shape and it has brass saddles instead of the threaded steel so good on that if you like those better. You say the neck isn't a gloss finish? Had the previous owner taken the gloss down to a satin type finish?

Anyway glad to see you found what you wanted. Good trade!

10. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    I think it's a 2010 model maybe the gloss has worn from wear.
    It's in pristine condition though, no dings or marks anywhere.
    Gorgeous burst lol.

I'm still on the way home.
    Posting this from a dodgy roadstop on the highway.

I'll get the serial number when I get home and we'll see what year I've got here.

I stopped at a place called the "Hell Town Hotel" earlier. Yep.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

11. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    [​IMG]

I'm home now. Still haven't taken a decent pic or pluggd it in.
    That's the serial number.
    Pretty sure its 2010. Perfect condition though.
    I mean, flawless finish.
    Not a mark or ding anywhere.
    Can't get over how nice the burst is. Wait for a pic in natural light!

12. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the post spam.
    I'm home now and was trying to sort out the action as it was way too high.

I've got it where I want now, get no fret buzz at all and I also get the right harmonics on the 12th frets so I know it's intonated right... The saddle screws pop out so far how it is though and scrape my hand when I rest it on it.

I could get an ashtray cover, or this problem wouldn't matter with a Bigsby because I guess I'd rest my hand further up.

I always rest my hand basically on the back of the bridge though, and the saddle screws stick out and are kinda annoying.

Is this normal?
    I'm not great with guitar tech stuff. Never had the saddle screws scrape on my hand.
    If this is normal, that's fine I'll work around it, if its not then I must be doing something wrong and would appreciate any advice.

EDIT:
    I took the saddles down (intonation screw) a fair bit, shimmed the neck with a business card and re-did the action.
    It's playing great now. The saddle screw isn't poking out so far, its still poking out but not a ridiculous amount.
    Shimming the neck made a big difference I think.

I plugged it in as well - sounds great, the bridge pickup is awesome. Nice and twangy as I was hoping for.

The neck pickup is way clearer than I wanted though, its not the big deep neck Tele pickup I was expecting, it's a lot clearer than that.
    Some might say 'thinner'.

Nothing upping the bass on my amp doesn't fix though.

I've got a cool little guitar here now that I've sorted out the action and stuff..

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015

13. alexcoupe

alexcoupe Tele-Meister

May 17, 2013
    Portugal
    You could cut a litle the screws of the saddles or get easly some shorter new ones on E-bay or a drug-store. i did that on mine.

14. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    Yeah I think I'll cut 'em down one day.
    Probably won't need to with a Bigsby or an ashtray cover though.. they don't protrude as much as they did earlier, now that I've shimmed the neck and lowered the saddles closer to the bridge though.
    That made a big difference.

Here's a few more pics of the guitar.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's playing loads better after those little adjustments I made, and man it looks cool, it sounds freaking awesome in a mix too.

That "thinner" neck pickup translates into a neck pickup that cuts through mix and sounds great with other instruments.
    I don't think I'll swap them out, unless I get really annoyed with the buzzing - which I can't even hear in a mix anyway.

The neck, middle and bridge positions all sound great!

15. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2011
    Lowell, Mass
    You're picking hand will adjust to it... It takes a few weeks. This be painful for the bottom of your hand but will make you a better player. You will change your picking attack this happens when dealing with a vintage bridge.

16. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Looks pretty minty looking CVC there Lithsp. Good trade. Had the previous owner ever played it much?

17. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    I'd rather not rip my hand up though haha.
    I've sorted it out. I like the action higher than Fender recommends anyways.

18. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    I don't know, I want to say yes because the neck isn't really glossy like the CV necks normally are.
    ..but its in almost pristine condition so hard to say!

Here's a little SoundCloud thing I did on the CVC!

https://www.soundcloud.com/nowhere-near-it/bluesy-thing

19. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Nicely done. Sounds just like a Tele should.

20. Lithsp

Lithsp TDPRI Member

Jul 22, 2014
    QLD
    Cheers mate!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.