Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic vibe custom

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by scottchris, Aug 29, 2013.

1. scottchris

scottchris TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    I have heard so many good things about these teles. Every comment is usually positive when it's about these customs. I will be getting one for sure. Anyone have any thoughts about these? Any bad experiences?

Attached Files:

2. MrBoogie

MrBoogie TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2012
    Canada
    Great guitar. I tried one out for a few days and really liked it for playability and tone. I eventually switched to the BSB because I preferred the maple fretboard.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    They're very nice looking, sounding and playing guitars. I've had one for a couple of years. IMHO they're the nicest models in the Classic Vibe Series. But since you asked there are a few things to be aware of mainly as a FWIW and not necessarily to be thought of as negatives.

1) The neck is a very shallow '60s C profile so try one out to be certain you're comfortable with it.

2) Some guitars in this series have had problems with a pickup losing output or just going dead. It's caused by the coil in the pickup being improperly wound and breaking. It could happen anytime or never and it seems to have affected a relatively small number of guitars compared to all that have been sold.

So one issue is just about comfort and the other is a caution about a potential repair problem but that's about it. Based on all other reports we've seen around here those who bought them are very happy they did. I certainly am and mine was one that had a problem with it's pickups.

I ended up replacing them with a set of Bill Lawrence Keystones and that turned a very nice guitar into a great guitar. It's the one I play most often when I'm just sitting around pickin'.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013

4. weelie

weelie Friend of Leo's

I've had one from like 2008 or 2009. I still play it every day.

The only negative: the finish is thin enough for lego bricks to penetrate / ding if a 1 year hits the guitar...
    [​IMG]

Changed the bridge pickup to a nocaster a couple of months ago. Original is low output (like Buck Owens style twang), and I thought Nocaster would be more versatile.

Agreed, shallow neck, does not bother me.

Was very well setup from the get go. Never needed truss rod adjustments despite our dry winters.

5. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

The only 'problem' I've had with mine is that I can't put it down. I prefer the shallow neck profile and the rosewood fretboard so the CVC is perfect for me ergonomically. I really like the stock pickups on mine. Balanced and great sounding. No complaints about the bridge pup being weak. Easily my favorite electric.

6. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    I like my neck. It's good.

My example came to me without hardware. It has an L90 (2H) in the neck, now and a keystone in the bridge. I am going to replace the bodies of some of my other guitars with CVCs!

7. savofenno

savofenno Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweden
    Some people think stock pickups are thin sounding, i had some thoughts in that direction too, but when i got a new amp recently (Ampeg GVT52-212) CVC sounds now very big and powerful.
    Maybe an amp with 2x12 is most suitable with this guitar, even Excalibur with a speaker which has good bass response lets CVC really shine!
    Neck? I am adaptable to different necks, bigger than Baja`s are too much, but CVC neck is wonderful for my hands.

8. Gearhead88

Gearhead88 Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2012
    Alberta
    I've had one since last winter . From the first day it has been a great addition to the collection . I keep, it in open G mostly. The neck , I have no complaints about . Lot's of whiners and non positive comments about CV necks on tdpri . A while back I thought the neck pickup sounded weak , then after becoming more familiar with the guitar found the sweet spot using the tone and volume controls . The only thing I have changed is the pickguard , to black / red / black.

[​IMG]

9. Totally Bored

Totally Bored TDPRI Member

Jul 14, 2013
    New York
    Great guitars. They also make them in black and white.

Here's a black one

[​IMG]

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    You're getting some great responses here and I'd say there's no reason to not buy one. I don't believe you'd find a better Tele in this price range. Speaking of which GC, MF and others are all running Labor Day sales with at least a 15% discount so a new one would run you about $339 or less. Now would be a great time to get one. :D

11. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Apr 30, 2013
    Surprise, AZ
    Absolutely no complaints here! Had mine for about a week and I do have the same problem that catdaddy has,,,,,can't put it down! Gonna take soulman's advice and change my cap, but that's just a personal preference thing. Neck shape is great, would actually prefer the satin finish, but will play it for awhile to see if i get used to it.

I got mine on the special for this month at GC as well, $325 out the door was my dealio!
    Guitar has exceeded all expectations, AND, i haven't even had a pro setup on it! restrung at GC prior to getting it, the thing just wails right from the get go! Awesome!

Buy One!!!! you won't be sorry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. scottchris

scottchris TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Black and white? I didn't know that.

13. scottchris

scottchris TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Thanks guys for your input and comments. I have and have had many U.S teles and strats over the years. I honestly cannot get over how nice this cvc is. It kind of blows me away really, for under $400 you can't loose I think. I can almost guarantee that 20 years down the road, these customs will be collector guitars. Anyone trying to say squiers are junk are not experienced guitar players, in my own opinion. Basically I guess what I mean is, why buy a deluxe when you can get of these and throw on some brass saddles and maybe some new pickups, if you like. Oh and the classic vibe butterscotch blonde has the pine body, history check shows the first Leo made teles had the pine body, go figure... lol
    Leo made the teles to be affordable, he never set out to make someone have to sell a kidney to be able to afford a high end fender. Keep it simple, comfortable and sounding good, that's all that matters.

14. scottchris

scottchris TDPRI Member

Feb 23, 2013

15. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 19, 2011
    wallingford,ct.
    I have one with a GFS Prolipstick in the bridge-what an incredible guitar!!!

16. Tony Ounsworth

Tony Ounsworth Tele-Meister

Jan 27, 2013
    Herne Bay
    And in white with black trim!

I loved my sunburst one so much I bought the black and white one as soon as it was available. The neck suits my small hands perfectly, and I have no problems with the stock pickups. In fact I'm going to be in the studio with it tomorrow.

Only things I've changed are the saddles which I changed to compensated brass ones, and a bit of pickguard swapping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love them.

17. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Tele-Afflicted

I bought the CV50 in vintage blonde a few montha ago. I love it. I want a CVC but know I can't get it past the wife. Maybe next year.

18. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    I like mine. It sounds "thinner" than my CV50's BSB, but nothing I can't fix with my amp. It's very playable, and I like the thin neck on, even though I have big hands, no problem playing these. I liked the double bound look, and the rosewood fretboard. I didn't care for the green pickguard and knew I was going to change it when I bought it. For me these new "mint" colors are more green than they should be. But that's just my opinion, lots like them. I put a parchment on mine first, and liked it better, but then I got a black one, and had it beveled at 30 degrees to make it look like the edge was wider, to fit in with the bound look. I like it a lot. Nice guitar. Nice fretwork on it too.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. crowhaven2000

crowhaven2000 Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2011
    New Mexico
    oohhh that black one is sweet. Didn't know they made one in Black. I got a 5 ply black pickguard on my sunburst and ordered it with more bevel to make it "bond with the bound" more.
    I posted pics above, a wider bevel would look nice with your black one too.
    Did changing the saddles change the tone? Someone said the thinner sound came from the threaded saddles on these. Just wondering if it affected the sound much? I have considered doing it.

20. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2011
    Oregon City, OR
    Oh baby... I love the tuxedo look!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.