Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic vibe 50s question

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by ShadowChancer, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Apr 14, 2012
    Central Scotland
    Doing a bit of research into pickups for another job and keep hearing the pups in my cv50s are toneriders , is this BS or is their truth in it ??

2. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Apr 12, 2012
    Mechanicsville, VA
    they are wound in the same factory to Fender's specs, but they are not tone riders. I really like the A3 Set that comes in the vintage blonde '50's model.

3. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

Dec 6, 2011
    plymouth uk
    This is a tricky one, to all intents and purposes the CV pickups are Toneriders but that will never be confirmed due to legal issues etc..

I've done a lot of reading around this and bought some CV pickups for my strat, they look and sound EXACTLY like Toneriders.

The similarities that have been confirmed on various threads (some of it coming directly from Tonerider themselves) between Tonerider and CV pickups are:

They are made in the same factory
    They are made by the same OEM producer
    They look the same
    They sound the same
    They have the same product numbers
    The measured output is the same.

The only perceivable difference is the Toneriders have vintage cloth cable, the CV only have plastic covered cable. There are clearly many similarities but the fact they share the same product/model numbers is the most telling factor for me, that's just too much of a coincidence for them not to be the same product. For example the product code for the Classic Blues pickups is TRS3, oddly enough the sticker on the underside of the Classic Vibe 60's pickups also says 'TRS3'. I can see no reason for this other than them actually being the same pickups. According to several posts the TRS in the product name stands for ToneRider Stratocaster (followed by model number), an understandable naming convention for TR to use. If they aren't the same product made by ToneRider, why would the CV pickups have the same model number and naming convention?

I'm of the belief that they are the same pickups but for various business/legal/marketing reasons that can't be officially stated. I remember one post where someone contacted tonerider to ask if they're the same and was told "if you like the sound of the CV 50's pickups then you'll be VERY, VERY satisfied with the Tonerider Surfari's"

I don't know about the Telecaster parallels but as I understand it the CV 50's strat uses Tonerider Surfari's, the CV 60's strat uses Tonerider Classic Blues and the CV signature strats use Tonerider Vintage Classics.

I was going to buy some Classic Blues for my MIM strat but ended up getting CV 60's pickups for a 1/3 of the price. They sound fantastic, were considerably better than the stock MIM pickups and compared to my friends CV 60's strat, neither of us can tell the slightest difference between them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

4. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Bakersfield Ca.
    CV's and Toneriders are wound in the pickup dept in the huge OEM factory where the CV guitars are made. My friend worked in that factory and that's what he told me.

All the info above is correct. CV's and Toneriders share the same parts are are wound to different specs. Toneriders cloth wire CV's plastic covered wire.

This is like GMC and Chevy Trucks same thing different emblems.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.