Classic Vibe 50s Pine with American professional neck(Deep C)

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Sweetsmcdudeman, May 19, 2019.

1. Sweetsmcdudeman

Sweetsmcdudeman TDPRI Member

I've looked at some measurements and its seems the American professional neck is a tad bit wider at the heel then the pocket of the classic vibe.

Anybody done this?

I really like the American Deep C and do not like the sticky classic vibe neck.

Anybody trying to steer me another way just pass on by please. I like the neck and am buying a CV and adding neck or just getting the 2019 professional. Either you have experience switching necks or not.

Thanks in advance.

2. ifallalot

ifallalot Tele-Afflicted

You're looking at over $450 for just the neck

https://stratosphereparts.com/fender-american-professional-telecaster-tele-neck-tuners-usa-rosewood/

And $400 for the Classic Vibe

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-classic-vibe-telecaster-50s-electric-guitar

For $100 more you can get a used one no problem and get better electronics than the Classic Vibe, not to mention a case

https://reverb.com/marketplace/elec...onal telecaster&condition=used&sort=price|asc

I've had a CV50s and a American Pro Strat and the American Pro is better in every way than the Squier- and I really liked the Squier

rangercaster likes this.
  3. Sweetsmcdudeman

Yeah I really like that 2019 American professional as a total package but what draws me to it is that neck. I played thin necks my whole life and after building some 50s spec'd amps just started getting into the thicker feel.

1500 new is doable but a lot. Just thought I might make a parts caster of sorts with the neck I really like with the early style of the pine body CV as my "loaded body".

Used CV with new neck. I know the economics of it I'm just curious if anyone has done it.

4. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I made a partscaster with a Squier CV '50s BSB pine body and a new factory Fender USA American Standard C maple neck which I got for 20% off. Also upgraded the tuners & put in compensated saddles. Sounds like your situation except it is AM STD, not AM Professional neck (C vs. deep C). I left the A5 pickups as I liked them as they were.

The neck fit very snugly in the pocket, and as usually recommended, was placed in from above as it would not have been able to "slide in" lengthwise. No redrilling needed.

This is my "go to" guitar, despite having several unaltered Fender AM STD. I also have another more exotic partscaster Squier Indonesian CV modified '72 thinline where I also replaced the neck with an AM STD rosewood neck and added custom designed pickups.

I have found the swapping of necks among Fender products (Squier, Fender) to work as advertised, and grew up on AM STD C necks so that's what I need.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Sweetsmcdudeman likes this.
  5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Holic

the CV neck pockets have a tight fit in my experience.

6. Sweetsmcdudeman

Thanks.

Is this something that I could hypothetically sand down ever so slightly to set the neck in pocket with drill holes matching?

7. Sweetsmcdudeman

This is exactly what I'm talking about!

I want a partscaster with a pine body like the early 50s with a deep c neck! The CV sounds like a good way to go instead of buying an unfinished piece of wood. I can resell the neck and, from what I hear, keep the pickups.

So put neck in from the top of the body?

Thanks for the response.

TeleTucson likes this.
  8. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The fit is very snug, as also pointed out by @fasteddie42 . If you find it too snug for fear of inducing a crack, a little sanding would relieve your anxiety. In my case I did not feel the need to sand, and all is well nearly three years later.

The CV '50s BSB vs. the other CV's have different pickups (A5 vs A3, I believe), and pickups will always be a personal choice. The pine on the CV '50s BSB seems to be a pretty darn hard variety - nothing like US white pine. It's heavy, and some don't like that, but I do. I customize partscasters to get guitars I like, not really thinking about resale. I actually gave away the two CV necks right here on TDPRI for free.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. Sweetsmcdudeman

That's great. Thanks for the heads up. That's nice of you to give stuff away.

Resale is nice when your monthly rent is $$$$.

10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

You don't need to buy the CV whole guitar, just look on Ebay and find a loaded CV body.
    If it is a little tight just sand or file the pocket, not the neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.