Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Classic mistake

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guran, May 16, 2018.

1. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Concerning modern key/hybred or keyless tech, my friend has a Jeep thats on its own "volition" locked him out of his SUV at least twice w the keys in the ignition. I saw it happen the second time.

telemnemonics likes this.

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

I have a story about buying one of the first Analogman NKT275 Sunfaces (big box !) from a guy on CL and my son locking us out of my running truck, but it's too long to type and it makes me sad - that my son isn't that young anymore and that I sold the fuzz ! :cry:

3. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    That moment in time when your eyes focus on the keys in the ignition at the exact same time as the locked car door slams shut...

These synchronized observations are called "The Igni-Second"

4. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    The last few years there has been a surge of car thefts in Sweden, taking advantage of that system. As most people have their keys in a pocket somewhere near the front door, thieves use some kind of relay station. They go to just outside your door, the relay station picks up the key signal and amplifies it so the car unlocks and you can start it. It has made car theft very simple!

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Yep, I was locked out of a running car too, so thats why my belt has the extra.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm not a fan of push button start and proximity fobs. We rented a really quiet Ford something a few years back and, somehow, I managed to leave the car running in the parking lot while we did a four hour hike. I don't know how this happened but it was still running fine when we got back...

7. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2007
    Sweden
    Sometime this winter I, for a minute or so, thought that I had locked the keys into a running car. It was at work, I was about to take a company car to install a printer and some stuff in a branch office. As it was cold I started the car and let it run while I was loading. The car was near the back door with left side facing the door. I went in to pick up the last stuff and came back out to the car, just to find it locked. What the...

I asked myself how this could happen. I found no answer. Just as I was about to go get the spare keys I realized that the printer I had put in the back seat wasn't there. And the interior looked different...

While I was in someone had parked another car, same model and color, in the spot between the car I had and the door. I started laughing!

nojazzhere and william tele like this.

8. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Own a mobile locksmith business, most lockouts happen I noticed when a reg sequence of events get out of order. Before this business, I locked my self out 3 times,.also make car keys, I would say about one third of the oeoplp find their keys within a day of us making a key.

9. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    In my mid-20’s, I locked the keys in my van, twice, in one day...my lock phobia got the best of me & it was the middle of a prairie winter, to boot...don’t sweat it, even if you have a fever

10. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Funny stories....

I have a 10 year old Yukon that has a lot of the auto-locking and other electronic ''aids''; but they are early versions compared to vehicles of today. Maybe they weren't sorted well, or maybe it's just wear and tear, but the vehicle increasingly seems to be developing a ''mind of its own''.

And I don't trust this new mind one bit. I double and triple check where my keys are before walking away from the truck, or even closing all the doors if the truck is running, or closing doors if the keys are inside (just for a moment while loading/unloading).

It picks odd times to just lock itself, or change all the settings on dash display (and not to default).

11. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    I walked out to the rental car pushed the button to unlock, heard the beep and hopped in the car and thought someone has been smoking in this car. My rental was parked next to this car same make, model, and color. I got back out and the owner was standing there giving me the look.
    I explained and was so embarrassed.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

A friend of mine had this happen to him while camping: he unlocked his car using the remote control on his key. If you are familiar with this, unlocking starts a timer: if you don't open a door in the next few minutes it relocks the car. I guess this is for safety reasons, because it is easy to accidentally unlock the car. I do this when holding my key and carrying packages at the same time. Anyway, he opened the hatchback and climbed in to remove some stuff he was transporting and guess what? Opening the hatchback, unlike opening the doors, doesn't disable that timer. And guess what else? As he was scrambling in the back he dropped his keys, closed the hatch, heard the "blip" locking sound and :mad:

13. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Some cars automatically lock the doors if the motor is running. At the shop I managed, we would always open the drivers window when we brought a car into a repair bay. Always.

nojazzhere likes this.

14. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Jun 28, 2017
    Lehigh Acres, Florida
    I hate locking my keys in the car. I've only done it a handful of times, but one week I locked my keys in my truck TWICE, and that truck had shaved door handles so the spare key was of no use. After that I gave my wife the extra fob to pop the doors open and finally got around to installing an emergency release cable.

15. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Meister

My wife's car has push-button unlock on the fob and has a keypad on the door. A couple of times when I've been exchanging the order of the cars in the driveway, as I exited her car with keys inside and the engine running, it locked itself. I ran inside and asked for my wife's key and she said, "Didn't you put the combination for the keypad in you phone?" Duh.

Bob

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I always carry a second set of essential keys on me, and am obsessive about NEVER putting my keys down in random locations.
    Now and then my second car key will fall out of my pocket in the car, leaving me with only the one on the carabiner on my belt loop.
    If I reach for the remote door opener key and it's not there, my heart skips a beat.

I'm sorry to admit this response probably comes from 20- 25 years ago when I had a drug problem and would get out of lockup at the courthouse with my keys at the precinct, which was a place I didn't want to have to go after a day in jail waiting to see a judge, generally going through withdrawal.

BTW, withdrawal feels a lot like getting the Flu a long way from home with your keys locked in the car!

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I am sooo paranoid about locking the keys in the car, because where I live, I just leave the keys in the ignition year 'round. I can leave them for fishing, canoeing, shopping in the nearby towns and local restaurants. Just nothing to worry about, until I go to the big city, when I lock up the car, but double check my pocket for keys before closing the driver's door. Of course it caught up to me last year when I had not been to a big city for half a year. First place I parked, as I shut the door. Crap.:oops: Fortunately, I had just dropped off my wife for her hair appointment and only had a few blocks to walk. First time in my life and very little inconvenience. Yup, I know, just plain darn lucky, but now, every time I close a locked car door, my heart feels like it skips a beat even though I have the keys in my hand.:rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.